Kawasaki Ninja zx9r Brad Penn 20W50 2882 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Report from my 2002 Kawasaki Ninja zx9r. I did use about 3-4 ounces of auto-rx. Refilled with castrol gtx 10W40

99% highway miles with occasional 1.5 mile ride to work, 1.5 mile ride home at end of day. All highway trips were a minimum of 80 miles with no stops in between until I got home, With two 365 mile day trips to NY.
-Rode the bike for 85 miles non stop at highway speeds then got home, let it sit for about an hour and drained it catching it mid stream.

Blackstone comments:
Your engine is making more copper than we typically see out of this type of Kawasaki, and 89 ppm is enought to call a problem. The other metals are fine, so we're not sure why copper is so high. If you've been changing your oil frequently, you should be well past wear-in. If you've only changed the oil two or three times, it could be lingering wear-in. Universal averages show typical wear after about 2900 miles on the oil. Air and oil filtration appear normal. The fuel is ok. Copper probably shows poor wear at a brass or bronze part. Use 2500- miles to monitor.

I emailed Blackstone with the following:
Hello, thank you for my report. Do I need to talk to anyone
specifically about the report? My first report D16259 was from 9/7/07 using Exxon superflo 20w50 and the copper was 10ppm and although you didn't flag it you had mentioned that copper could be considered high, although you had a hard time getting worried about it, although that run was only 1056 miles.This oci consisted of a few 1.5 mile trips to work then another 1.5 miles back home, but 99% of the oci was all highway with a minimum of 80 miles round trip with no stops in between, just leave and come back a minimum of 80 miles later, including two 365 mile day trips to NY and back cruising around 65-75mph, so I always had the motor and oil up to operating temperature to burn off any fuel or condensation. I went for an 85 mile ride then let the bike sit for about an hour then drained the oil. I don't like riding in town stop light to stop light, I like to get on the highway and go for miles.

Blackstone's reply:
Michael: Thanks for the e-mail. I'm sorry we didn't pick up the history on this motorcycle. I'll add it to the report and send you a new copy when I'm finished. The higher copper is a mystery. Since fuel dilution was present, the copper could be from a crack working at a brass/bronze part and that may also be letting fuel into the oil. This level of fuel isn't really a problem, and since all other wear looks good, we aren't ready to call copper a major problem either, though it is certainly something to watch. If you used any after-market oil additives, that could explain the copper and in that case, it's probably not a concern. It's also possible the Brad Penn is using it in the oil as an additive. Copper used to be a really common additive back about 10 years ago, but isn't used much anymore. Please send in a sample of the virgin oil. We'll run it for no charge to make sure that's not the source. If no copper is found in the virgin oil, check back in 1,000-1,500 miles on the next oil for another look. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Miles on bike- 20,452
Miles on oil-2882
Oil filter-Pure one Pl14610
Air filter- K&N drop in(probably hasnt been out of the bike in well over a year)

Iron 9
Chromium 0
Lead 4
Copper 89
Tin 0
Aluminum 5
Nickel 1
Silver
Silicon 8
Boron 14
Sodium 307
Magnesium 512
Cacium 1768
Barium 0
Phosphorus 829
Zinc 1014
Molybdenum 5
Titanium 0
Potassium 3
Fuel 0.8
Visc100 13.25 should be 14.8-19.2
Visc210 71.1 should be 77-94
Insolubles 0.2 should be TBN 6.7

Comments/advice welcome!

if i understand correctly, you used auto-rx when the BP was in the bike right?
maybe the auto-rx is cleaning up past copper residue?
or you have an issue. like maybe a clutch basket sleave or simular.

Additional comments from Blackstone:

This is an amended report with the history on this engine. Virtually all wear increased in the second sample from your Kawasaki, though copper jumped up the most and is cautionary at 89ppm. Fuel dilution was also present, and could be related to the copper if its from a crack working at a brass/bronze part. But if it's not related to the copper, then this level isnt really much of a concern. The low viscosity isnt a problem and the TBN was strong at 6.7, so the oil has plenty of active additive left, Check back in about 1500 miles for another look at copper.

yes sunruh, i did use about 4 ounces of auto-rx, did not put it in when i put in the gtx. im going to run the gtx 1500 miles or so and resample.

any idea if the starter throwout bearing is copper sleaved?
or any of the transmission shafts have a copper sleave they reside in?
and of course my clutch basket inner sleave idea.

any unusual sounds or feels lately?

any "excessive and high speed accelerations"?
grin2.gif
grin2.gif
grin2.gif

just trying to come up with a reason for the huge jump.

copper based oil cooler maybe???

Was this the motorcycle oil or there other 20/50? I just got a case of there motorcycle 10/40 to run in my TL1000(64,000 miles and still rippin!) but it will be next year till I run it. Sorry I don't know enough about UOA's to help on your copper reading but I'd guess your bike has a sprag clutch in the starter and not a throw out bearing.

it is the regular 20W50, got it before they even came out with the moto specific oil.

I wont lie sunruh, there was an occasional high speed run but I would say 90% of it was always at highway speeds just going places.

i know you arent crazy about the gtx but I didnt want to put anything else in there because after winter I was going to drain that and either use the M1 15W50 EP i got on close out or the val synpower 20W50.

I will run the gtx 1500 miles and send in a sample.

It sounds and runs like it always does. I think the valve checks and/or adjustments are every 7000 miles, and I havent had that done since 11K so propably time for that. It has always had a problem with sort of bogging down or stumbling around 5K rpm when riding sensibly going through the gears, if I am on the highway cruising at 5Krpm it is not there, or if you whack open the throttle and let it scream it doesnt do it, just when you are just accelerating away from a light just easy going and it sort of hiccups around 5K. When I had the Micron exhaust put on they were supposed to have put in the micron stage 1 jet kit but not sure if they did or not, as I would have thought that would have cured it some.

I do have another Barnett clutch kit that I guess I could put in, but it is just the plates and springs. I will have to have it checked out. I do use clutchless upshifts majority of the time and occasionally I have missed a gear and will hear a clunking or grinding sound as I am trying to pop it up or down a gear to get it to seat. Could that be a potential reason??

Thanks for all the replies so far, would like to track down the problem, as I am looking to get another 80K or so out of the motor, even when I do get my FJR1300

Much safer to ride on the highway. I prefer to use the clutch and I don't go more than 1250 mi/1yr on oil changes. My bike prefers 10/40 to 20/50. Stay safe,.02.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back