2018 M2 UOA N55 Track Use

9 track days. Stock powertrain with BMW genuine oil and filters. Oil temp reach a peak for 230F during track use, the cooling system is great on these cars.

Attachments

• R76898.jpg
    R76898.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 153
Have you thought about a 0w-40 or 5w-40 since it might help w/visc. from track use?
I certainly have, but the car was validated on this oil so I wanted to see how it performed before making changes. It seems like the factory oil is doing fine based on this report.

Higher viscosity would reduce engine efficiency, which would reduce power and increase heat. If I were to significantly increase the torque output of the engine through tuning, I’d consider running a 40 grade to get the lambda ratio at the bearings back up.

I certainly have, but the car was validated on this oil so I wanted to see how it performed before making changes. It seems like the factory oil is doing fine based on this report.

Higher viscosity would reduce engine efficiency, which would reduce power and increase heat. If I were to significantly increase the torque output of the engine through tuning, I’d consider running a 40 grade to get the lambda ratio at the bearings back up.
Well to be honest Fe at 4.77042337507 PPM/1k is not great at all. IF it increases heat by using a thicker oil it may come at the benefit of reduced wear. Your viscosity is pretty low for the miles so your car is not being kind to the oil to begin with.

I think that’s perfectly fine given driving style and knowing that the N55 M2 motor has iron cylinder liners instead of the normal N55 coated aluminum.

I think that’s perfectly fine given driving style and knowing that the N55 M2 motor has iron cylinder liners instead of the normal N55 coated aluminum.
I think M2 has updated rod bearings, but in anything N55 I would strictly use XW40.
Also, you don’t have TAN. While cooling system on F and G platforms is overkill, 9 track days might be exhibiting aome good oxidation. Also, your OCI is 3,300 miles. How many track miles? How long were sessions?

I think M2 has updated rod bearings, but in anything N55 I would strictly use XW40.
Also, you don’t have TAN. While cooling system on F and G platforms is overkill, 9 track days might be exhibiting aome good oxidation. Also, your OCI is 3,300 miles. How many track miles? How long were sessions?
I think 31 session, 15 minutes each. Oil temps seem to stabilize around 220F in sessions with traffic. Peaking around 230F if I can hot lap with minimal traffic. Looking at my fuel logs… 521 miles on track is what I estimate.

Interestingly the viscosity on my 2017 N55 X5 after 4100 miles was almost identical. I’ll have another UOA of the X5 in a few weeks with 6000+ on it to share. I wonder if BMW intended this oil to drop viscosity down into the high 8s/low 9s after running in a little.

Attachments

• IMG_4600.jpg
    IMG_4600.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 18
I think 31 session, 15 minutes each. Oil temps seem to stabilize around 220F in sessions with traffic. Peaking around 230F if I can hot lap with minimal traffic. Looking at my fuel logs… 521 miles on track is what I estimate.
Those are pretty short sessions which IMO doesn’t put any strain on an N55. So, oil won’t be an issue. However, considering history of N55 I wouldn’t touch any oil that is not LL01. Thinnest I would go would be Castrol Edge 0W30 (IMO still best oil for Euro cars) and probably something like Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 or Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2. HTHS is not THAT higher to dramatically influence performance. While thicker oil does create more resistance and heat, a. Cooling system on M2 can cool off 18 wheeler, b thicker oil has higher heat dispensing capacity. If you are afraid of going too thick (remember N55 is originally meant to use LL01) go Edge 0W30. It is not just thickness, it is generally much better oil that TPT.

Didn't this ver of the N55 receive the S55 oiling system?
Not exactly. Internally I believe it is the same or close but it doesn’t have the S55 big front oil cooler. It’s still good but the S55 cars run cooler on track.

I agree, but I believe the rod bearings on N20, N54, N55, and S55 are actually the same part number. They are Glyco G-444/488 material pairs. The main bearings are different but rod bearings the same.

Attachments

• IMG_7325.jpeg
    IMG_7325.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 21
I agree, but I believe the rod bearings on N20, N54, N55, and S55 are actually the same part number. They are Glyco G-444/488 material pairs. The main bearings are different but rod bearings the same.
I was thinking that they changed part numbers. If not, I would DEFINIATELY stay with XW40.

That’s right. It’s basically a S55 rotating internals and oiling, with an iron sleeved N55 block.
The N55B30T0 in the M2 uses standard powder forged N55 rods, a different forged crank than the S55, and the pistons are derived from the S55 but they are not identical (first piston ring is a different design) due to the LDS lining used on the S55. And the rod bearings are the same across all N55's and the S55. The N55B30T0 does use different main bearings than the other N55's but BMW has never explained what is different about them in any training docs that I have read.

And yeah you should definitely step up to a good 40W.

Back