2018 JL Wrangler 3.6 Multi-cylinder misfires, fuel soaked spark plug, poor fuel economy. Missing coolant. Root causes?

I heard years ago that Ford dealers were instructed not to fix anything under warranty unless the customer complained about it.

Furthermore, dealers with "excessively high" amounts of warranty work were scrutinized by Ford.

And on top of all that, warranty work was paid at a lesser rate than customer-pay work.

All of which made getting warranty work done at a Ford dealer that much more difficult for the customer.

No idea if any of that is still the case. I haven't owned a Ford under a factory warranty in over 20 years...
That is true for every OEM. It is explicitly against policy for most dealers to "upsell warranty work" unless it is a safety issue or may cause a mechanical breakdown.

For anyone curious, it's been at the dealership 4 days and is being wrenched on even today (Saturday) but they still don't know what is causing the issues. I made sure it went in with a CEL. Service writer mentioned on a call today that they didn't get any misfires while it was running at the dealership. Hoping they didn't mean while idling...

Jeep was dead last in the new Consumer Reports brand ranking. LOL

Last edited:
That is true for every OEM. It is explicitly against policy for most dealers to "upsell warranty work" unless it is a safety issue or may cause a mechanical breakdown.

I used to have a friend who worked in service at a Dodge dealership. I had bought a hemi Charger at municipal auction that had a timing chain recall. My friend asked me not to bring it where he worked. Warranty work paid so much less that he savored the thought of this annoying job going to their rival dealership.

I used to have a friend who worked in service at a Dodge dealership. I had bought a hemi Charger at municipal auction that had a timing chain recall. My friend asked me not to bring it where he worked. Warranty work paid so much less that he savored the thought of this annoying job going to their rival dealership.

I'm surprised Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealers can keep mechanics in their service departments, Their "Customer Pay" times are atrocious, Much less their "Warranty Pay".

I'm surprised Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealers can keep mechanics in their service departments, Their "Customer Pay" times are atrocious, Much less their "Warranty Pay".
Shops actually use book time? Seems like a lot of places are using a labor matrix nowadays…and/or allowing techs to name their own price for each job.

Never heard of that, and I'm a dealer tech. Most CP is 30-40% over warr.

I was a dealer tech for many years, While CP is about the same percentage over WP.....FCA (Or whatever their called today) calls for less time on most comparable jobs than other manufacturers.

Let's compare a 2013 Silverado 5.3L & a 2013 Dodge Ram 5.7L Timing Cover R&R.....

Silverado calls for 3.5hrs WP & 5.2hrs CP
Ram calls for 3.4hrs WP & 4.2hrs CP

At face value....It seems comparable. But I can do the Silverado in about 1.5 hours as there's no Fan Clutch, Fan Shroud, & I don't have to remove ANY of the belt driven accessories besides the Water Pump.

On the Ram....Got to remove the Fan, Fan Shroud, Alternator, & A/C Compressor. As the front structure is "Doweled".....Your suppose to drop the Oil pan down. I realize most Techs don't, But Chrysler still expected you to do it per service information!
I also realize/know....You just lay the Compressor & Alternator aside.

If you can do this job on a Ram while following service information & beat warranty time....You one BAAAAD M'fer!!!! Imagine the hours you'd pull for a different manufacturer?

Shops actually use book time? Seems like a lot of places are using a labor matrix nowadays…and/or allowing techs to name their own price for each job.

A dealer can't apply that to warranty work as the manufacturer pays the labor bill & I haven't personally seen them use a matrix on customer pay either.

A dealer can't apply that to warranty work as the manufacturer pays the labor bill & I haven't personally seen them use a matrix on customer pay either.
Warranty is warranty, I get that.

But from what I have seen, sky is the limit for CP. I have seen dealers (all brands) bump up labor times, I have seen them charge full labor time for each operation even when there is significant overlap (very very common).

But from what I have seen, sky is the limit for CP. I have seen dealers (all brands) bump up labor times, I have seen them charge full labor time for each operation even when there is significant overlap (very very common).

Sure....You can try & charge whatever you want. On the flip side.....I have reduced labor time on some jobs, Especially some Toyota/Lexus stuff where the labor times are not based in reality!

Sure....You can try & charge whatever you want. On the flip side.....I have reduced labor time on some jobs, Especially some Toyota/Lexus stuff where the labor times are not based in reality!
Like those infamous control arms? ;)

It is free market. Anybody can charge whatever the price they want. Customer have choice between different shops and different manufacturers. Obviously, it is NOT easy to find out if FCA is stingy for warranty coverage as compared to Lexus. I am sure there are no scientific studies done (I mean who will *pay* for such a study?) So as a potential customer, all I have is word of mouth and I just don't see myself being convinced that FCA is better than Lexus when it comes to warranty repairs regardless of what FCA folks e.g. Overkill :) tells me!

Book times here are not even close to reality if the car is more than a year or two old. A 1.5hr job on a 10 year old can turn into a whole day fiasco with rust, rotten parts, broken bolts, captured nuts breaking loose inside some in accessible panel. Its terrible.

I don't stock multiple heads for nothing so I will concur with this statement.

I watched a video by Pine hollow diagnostics on YT yesterday diagnosing a missfire on a grand caravan with the same ERB engine code. Needed a head after doing a clear flood with live data which I believe was pico scope. You could hear the lack of compression as it cranked. If its not ticking anymore than normal valvetrain sounds a head would be my guess.

OP - Looking at your story, it seems you got a hold of a service advisor with a poor attitude. Regardless, if its under power train just let them fix it. Chrysler techs see so many of these ERB 3.6s its pretty easy for them to diag unless there a newbie maybe. I can check warranty status if you want to PM me your vin btw.
Are the PUG upgrade engines having head problems too? Thanks.

Are the PUG upgrade engines having head problems too? Thanks.
They seem to be. In this thread it's all PUG v6s and head and or cam problems seem to be the cause of the misfire for several. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/survey-for-those-with-misfire-issues.24853/

there is also this class action that goes up to 2018, which should be 3 or two years of PUG engines depending on model.

They seem to be. In this thread it's all PUG v6s and head and or cam problems seem to be the cause of the misfire for several. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/survey-for-those-with-misfire-issues.24853/

there is also this class action that goes up to 2018, which should be 3 or two years of PUG engines depending on model.
Thanks!

End result was they found no root cause for any issues. They did multiple coolant pressure tests. Took the intake off and ran borescope down into each cylinder. Checked the coolant flowing EGR etc. Tech said he spent alot time on it but unfortunately, couldn't figure it out. Oddly, I did notice, what looked like one fresh coil pack but the dealership claimed they installed no new parts. Though, at one point they said they were waiting on parts to arrive. So who knows.

Unsolved Mysteries.

Back