2018 + Honda Goldwing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen - please keep the discussion civil. Avoid the personal criticisms. Talk about the motorcycles.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Ride_Red

...The one gripe I have with the 2018 and up models is that they reduced the storage capacity/volume of the trunk and sidebags. The 2017 and before had larger capacity/volume. My friend's 2015 Victory has about double the storage space than this new Goldwing.

Can you buy larger aftermarket sidebags?

Not a MC owner or rider, just curious.

Gold Wings magic carpet ride really unnerve my sense of what a bike
should feel like... instead of the usual planted feel of my homologated
race bike with its race tuned Ohlins suspension I feel detached like I'm
floating over the perverted highway...
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
Gold Wings magic carpet ride really unnerve my sense of what a bike
should feel like... instead of the usual planted feel of my homologated
race bike with its race tuned Ohlins suspension I feel detached like I'm
floating over the perverted highway...
[Linked Image]

If you want to feel unnerving, ride a big Harley...

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Of course compound of the tire and construction contributes greatly maybe almost totally to how long it will last.
So what is it the metric motorcycle makers cheap out on causing them to wear out the tires at 7,000 miles???

Is it the tires themselves? or is it the size of the tires they select to ship with their bikes vs the weight of the bike that cause them to wear out so quickly?
Why is it, Harley ships its touring bikes with rear tires that run for over 14,000 miles before wearing out, front tires around 20,000 miles.

Why is it that Honda, BMW, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha ship their touring bikes with tires that wear out in 7,000 miles?

As pointed out, the OEM tires from Harley are most likely harder so they'll last longer. If you could find out what the wear rating numbers of the tires are, that would help verify.

The aftermarket makes tires that have harder rubber in the center, and softer rubber on the sides for cornering traction. Maybe Harley OEM tires are similar (?).

So all the Gold Wing boards you've read, nobody has found and used any tires with harder longer lasting compound? With tires, there's always going to be a compromise between performance and wear.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Of course compound of the tire and construction contributes greatly maybe almost totally to how long it will last.
So what is it the metric motorcycle makers cheap out on causing them to wear out the tires at 7,000 miles???

Is it the tires themselves? or is it the size of the tires they select to ship with their bikes vs the weight of the bike that cause them to wear out so quickly?
Why is it, Harley ships its touring bikes with rear tires that run for over 14,000 miles before wearing out, front tires around 20,000 miles.

Why is it that Honda, BMW, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha ship their touring bikes with tires that wear out in 7,000 miles?

As pointed out, the OEM tires from Harley are most likely harder so they'll last longer. If you could find out what the wear rating numbers of the tires are, that would help verify.

The aftermarket makes tires that have harder rubber in the center, and softer rubber on the sides for cornering traction. Maybe Harley OEM tires are similar (?).

So all the Gold Wing boards you've read, nobody has found and used any tires with harder longer lasting compound? With tires, there's always going to be a compromise between performance and wear.

FWIW, most HDs still use bias belted tires (a Road Glide Ultra-probably the best comparison for a Wing-runs a 180/65B16 rear, load index 81) rather than the Wing's radials. I also recall that Wings are very rear-heavy...trans behind the engine, fuel tank under the seat, all luggage over or behind the rear tire, pillon rider over or behind the tire.

I also recall the Wing's 200/55R18 (load index, notably, is lower at only 77) is an unusual size, with few choices.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by Ride_Red

...The one gripe I have with the 2018 and up models is that they reduced the storage capacity/volume of the trunk and sidebags. The 2017 and before had larger capacity/volume. My friend's 2015 Victory has about double the storage space than this new Goldwing.

Can you buy larger aftermarket sidebags?

Not a MC owner or rider, just curious.

One might be able to replace the bags with larger ones, depending on their skill level but the cost would be outrageous and doubt anyone would try.

Honestly, when it comes to the bags, I assume Honda did its research, like a lot of things now, its about "the look" in order to appeal to the younger generations, lets face it, the old is dying off.
Much like cars, SUVs boats etc, its looks in the showroom more then utility as Honda may very well know, except for some die hard bikers now, both young and old, most bikes sit in the garage or do limited trips of a week or two. For someone needing more luggage area, if they want a Wing, they will still find a way.

To be honest, I think Honda made a good call on this new Wing, its lighter, more nimble, sleeker and is supposed to look better, because of that, I myself am curious and want to see it. Bikes to me have become too big, too heavy, too much ++ap added to them, too complex. I get out on my bike to escape from the world.
Its why I ride a Road King, same engine, chassis, same everything except all the extra stuff that I do not want. My bike even has a standard key! I love it, I never have to worry about changing key fob batteries or getting stuck anyplace because of the system malfunctioning.
I mean, what is the purpose of the FOB except to feel special? You have to carry it with you anyway. With a physical key I dont have to worry about the electronics of a fob screwing up and getting me stuck someplace.

Last edited:
Look at the gross carrying weight of the Wing. I forget the exact number but it is close to 400 lbs so after you and your SO are properly dressed and fed you can carry an extra pair of gloves and a power bar.
YMMV

Smoky

Originally Posted by Smoky14
Look at the gross carrying weight of the Wing. I forget the exact number but it is close to 400 lbs so after you and your SO are properly dressed and fed you can carry an extra pair of gloves and a power bar.
YMMV

Smoky

I believe that was for one of the earlier models, but I'm not sure what the new one is rated at. Unless I was planning on stuffing the compartments with bowling balls I wouldn't be too worried about it...

Honda likely realizes that true 'long range' touring riders would often add a trailer even though
Honda doesn't approve of much less offer a trailer.

My 2¢

Originally Posted by grampi
YMMV

Smoky

I believe that was for one of the earlier models, but I'm not sure what the new one is rated at. Unless I was planning on stuffing the compartments with bowling balls I wouldn't be too worried about it...

Ridden 2-up and loaded for travel, I would bet it's way overweight.

I looked it up, 428 lbs is max. Looks like one up and gear to me. My Bandit has more load capability.
Smoky

I work with a dude who is that heavy in his gear. (Not packed for a trip, him in his riding gear!) My wife and I certainly exceed that geared up.

Ridden 2-up and loaded for travel, most Goldwings are overweight.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I work with a dude who is that heavy in his gear. (Not packed for a trip, him in his riding gear!) My wife and I certainly exceed that geared up.

Ridden 2-up and loaded for travel, most Goldwings are overweight.

When it's over weight, how does that effect the ride?

The tire's are usually the limiting factor, even slight under inflation and the chance of a blow out go up exponentially. Sometimes the frame rails are stress limited to save weight and increase carrying capacity.
Smoky

The tire's are usually the limiting factor, even slight under inflation and the chance of a blow out go up exponentially. Sometimes the frame rails are stress limited to save weight and increase carrying capacity.
Smoky

Tires are almost always the limiting factor...one reason darksiding is so popular.

Smoky

Tires are almost always the limiting factor...one reason darksiding is so popular.

I never understood why motorcycle tires don't last as long as car tires. Is there a reason for it, other than you gotta pay to play?

Originally Posted by grampi
Smoky

I never understood why motorcycle tires don't last as long as car tires. Is there a reason for it, other than you gotta pay to play?

The contact patch is much smaller on a motorcycle tire because of the required profile for adequate cornering traction. And most motorcycle tires use a relatively soft compound for good traction. Only way to get better mileage out of a tire is get one with the dual compound - harder longer lasting in the middle (where most of the time riding is spent) and a softer compound on the edges for cornering.

[
I get out on my bike to escape from the world.
Its why I ride a Road King, same engine, chassis, same everything except all the extra stuff that I do not want.

My thoughts exactly with my RK. For awhile I didn't really appreciate the spartan nature of the RK (I inherited mine). I came to love it and wouldn't want it any other way. It's an escape, about as off the grid as I'm likely to get. No info overload, music, amps, electronic gadgetry, etc. Just.......simplicity. Nothing but a clear windscreen between me and the horizon. That's my idea of a good time.

Last edited:
Smoky

I'm surprised it took 4 pages before "dark siding" was mentioned.
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back