Trade in my BMW R1250 GSA for a Honda Goldwing??

One of my local motorcycle dealers has a bunch of 2023 Goldwings still and they marked them down. They have the bagger marked down $1800. The touring model isn’t my cup of tea but the bagger looks good. I have never rode a DCT Honda, so I would have to test ride it, if they let me? My GSA with the panniers has way more storage then the Goldwing bags. I can fit my full face helmet in my left pannier. You cannot fit a helmet in the Goldwing cases. Would you guys do this swap or do you think I’m a fool to even consider it

IMG_4737.jpg

I rode with a guy that has a new GW bagger. It’s a very good looking bike and is as dependable as an anvil.

Me and some buddies were stopped for gas, water, and stretches on a 1000 mi ride a few years ago. Sore as heck, sweaty, hating our decisions at that moment. But we looked cool.

Dude on a Goldwing rolls up, gives us a nod, fills his tank, and rolls off back onto the interstate.

We decided then and there that we would never fault anyone for getting a Goldwing. They are awesome machines for what they’re designed for.

My friend has a two year old Goldwing and, I believe, a current year BMW K1600. Not sure why he needed the BMW in addition to the Goldwing, but I'm sure both will be ridden hard until they are worn out. Far as I can tell, he loves both bikes.

Funny thing is, he is now considering a GSA model for the rough country roads he sometimes finds himself on during his frequent road trips. Google Maps put him on a muddy dirt mountain road in Montana in the Goldwing, past campers staring open mouthed and wide eyed. The road to Alaska from the Lower 48 was a bit of a challenge in spots for the K1600.

The Boxer twin GS is one of my favorite bikes which I've never owned. I'd say it's the more versatile bike of the two. A friend has the latest Goldwing, and it is a nice bike, but it's big and heavy. Great on the Interstate, less so on secondary roads. Ultimately it's down to your preferences.

Several guys in offices near me have BMW bikes, and I've seen a million Gold Wings. Personally, style-wise, if I ever let go of a BMW for a GW, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. But I've never ridden either one, so..

What is wrong with the Beemer ? Not cushy enough?
Just thinking out loud. I like my GSA, but seeing the GW marked down $1800 got me thinking. With the 1300 just being released, the 1250 values probably dropped more.

Me and some buddies were stopped for gas, water, and stretches on a 1000 mi ride a few years ago. Sore as heck, sweaty, hating our decisions at that moment. But we looked cool.

Dude on a Goldwing rolls up, gives us a nod, fills his tank, and rolls off back onto the interstate.

We decided then and there that we would never fault anyone for getting a Goldwing. They are awesome machines for what they’re designed for.
exactly, its like riding a sofa.

I bought a DCT Goldwing 3 weeks ago and absolutely love it. I wasn't sure if I would like the DCT transmission, but after a couple thousand miles, I am extremely pleased with it. It is a heavy bike, but does quite well on curvy roads and at slower speeds. . At 65 years old this may be my last bike purchase.

1697977578965.jpeg

I have both a 2016 GS (4th GS/A I've owned) and the previous generation GW. Different bikes aimed at different targets. Only you can decide which best suits your intended uses (and self-image). I like them both equally, but they are not really substitutes for one another IMO. Road trip machine? GW all day for me - much better wind protection, quiet, smoother engine and plush suspension. Around town, sporty rides and true dual sport rides? GS - much more maneuverable, better lean angle, overall handling, rough/dirt road capability. (GSA, because of ride height and bulbous tank is less capable at all these things IMO). GS easily wins the popular opinion coolness contest.

Back