Mn 17 6 4 3 4 4 4
Li 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B 164 68 46 36 39 31 31
Mg 12 14 10 11 317 396
Ca 2425 2397 2556 2489 1329 1397
P 687 739 720 734 715 685 759 
Zn 751 834 789 854 822 779 845
Fuel%  Soot  Water Vis100c 7.3 6.7 7.3 8.8 9.0 8.9 8.7
IOLM is at 4%. The oil is semi synthetic 5W-30. There was 1 qt. added at about 6000 miles.
The fuel dilution is high but there is no sign that it effects wear in any way so I'm not worried about it. I did switch from 5W-20 to 5W-30 and even with the dilution the viscosity of the 5W-30 is above the normal 5W-20. I plan to continue to follow the IOLM, check the oil every 1,000 miles or so, add as needed and worry about other stuff.

If you aren't going to worry I'm not going to worry
So much of the "oil wisdom" here is driven by opinion and marketing. UOA tells me what my vehicle is doing when I am basically following Fords' instructions. If folks are willing to spend more money that's fine with me but I really don't see where spending more on fully synthetic Mobil 1 or a boutique oil is going to improve my result. In the end, the result is what matters.

Fe has been high the whole time...not as high as the ecoboost motors, but IMHO high for an NA motor...maybe try a 5K run with a Euro 0-40 or RP HPS 5-30 and extrapolate out that iron wear per mile

So much of the "oil wisdom" here is driven by opinion and marketing. UOA tells me what my vehicle is doing when I am basically following Fords' instructions. If folks are willing to spend more money that's fine with me but I really don't see where spending more on fully synthetic Mobil 1 or a boutique oil is going to improve my result. In the end, the result is what matters.
It's your engine. You have nothing to convince me about. I didn't say a thing about your oil choice and the amount your abusing the engine .

Fe has been high the whole time...not as high as the ecoboost motors, but IMHO high for an NA motor...maybe try a 5K run with a Euro 0-40 or RP HPS 5-30 and extrapolate out that iron wear per mile

I'm not convinced 1 ppm per 1000 mi is high. He could try 0W-40 at 5000 mi but my bet is he gets 4-6 ppm which is still around 1 ppm per 1000 mi.

UOA isn’t the tell all though. I’ve seen some pretty varnished fords. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I'm not convinced 1 ppm per 1000 mi is high. He could try 0W-40 at 5000 mi but my bet is he gets 4-6 ppm which is still around 1 ppm per 1000 mi.
I went back and looked at some of my blackstone UOA sheets, I agree with you on the iron content at 1PPM per K miles

UOA isn’t the tell all though. I’ve seen some pretty varnished fords. 🤦🏻‍♂️

With 10 qt total of oil (including 1 qt add) he is under a thousand miles a quart so I'm not overly concerned.

Ideally we would have had Oxid and Nitr but I don't see any signs that they would show anything out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
Read the sticky by Dnewton3 at the top of the forum for some solid statistical information. 1 ppm every 1k mi. is normal.

1ppm/1k miles is a very good wear rate.
Changing to a different lube isn't likely to alter the wear rate appreciably, despite all the rhetoric.
Shortening the OCI isn't likely to improve the wear rate either.

As for the varnish fears, I'm going to say something that will make some members just cringe ...

Varnish is nothing to worry about. "Varnish" is just a slight tinge or pigment change in color on metal surfaces, and does not indicate anything dangerous is happening. It's not uncommon in many engines to see varnish, and they can run just fine with that varnish being there for hundreds of thousands of miles. Varnish is WAY overblown and misunderstood. I've had several vehicles with varnish on the surfaces of the metals, and those engines ran well past 200k miles, had no compression issues, had great UOAs, and had no adverse performance problems.

Never confuse varnish with sludge. Sludge is a serious issue where insolubles and oxidation byproducts and not held in suspension in the lube and allows deposits (especially in localized hot-spots) to continue a formation which can affect lubrication and oil return. Sludge is a problem with much older API spec'd lubes from decades ago; they were not made with longer OCIs in mind. Further, engines that have some poorly designed or selected criteria will be prone to sludge regardless what oil is used. Most engines, however, are not "sludger" engines. Of note, the older Saturn SL2 engines, some Porsche engines, and some Toyota engines all had sludge issues due to various design/component criteria. Just know that "sludger" engines are actually not common.

Further, total neglect can induce sludge issues, but it's not fair to blame an oil for a complete lack of oil changes. I knew a guy I worked with at Ford back in the day; he never changed oil - he only changed oil filters every 5k miles, and then topped off. Oddly, it didn't seem to alter the way his old 4.0L Cologne ran in his Aerostar, and it had over 150k miles on it..... but that's not an advisable way to treat an engine.

To the best of my knowledge, there's no proof that the 5.0L Coy motors are sludge-prone engines.

Last edited:
Has Conoco/Kendall in the recent past dropped their Titanium analogue of MoS2 in their additives package? Looking at the Titanium row, the readings have dropped an order of magnitude for the past two oil changes:
Ti 0 94 97 100 100 9 1

Here is the row for moly; it coincides with the change above (making up for the loss of the Ti antiwear additive):
Mo 70 21 17 16 17 124 146

Which motor oils still use Titanium analogue of MoS2?

Has Conoco/Kendall in the recent past dropped their Titanium analogue of MoS2 in their additives package? Looking at the Titanium row, the readings have dropped an order of magnitude for the past two oil changes:

Here is the row for moly; it coincides with the change above (making up for the loss of the Ti antiwear additive):

When Kendall (and everybody else) went to SN+ to address LSPI in direct injection engines, they discontinued the Ti additive pack. I scrounged a couple years' worth of 5W-20 for my wifes 3.0 V6 but the 5W-30 disappeared. The UOAs on two of my other Fords show no wear change without Ti so it doesn't appear to make a difference. One is this 5.0, the other one is a V-10.

UOA doesn't tell you what is in the filter, and I've seen perfect UOA's on sludged/varnished engines too.

If the engine is running well, and you are ok with a ~9000+ oil change interval based on UOA data, then keep driving.

UOA tells you the condition of the oil and not your engine.

Other than fuel dilution, this UOA is perfect. I'd consider a thicker oil. For example, stick the the 5w30 if you want. Use a 5w40 for the top offs.

Yes, when Kendall went to the Liquitek formula, they dropped Ti. It appears only Castrol Edge is the only one that's mainstream with Ti in it's formula for SP/GF6. Their 5w20 SP/GF6 on PQIA:
Molybdenum

Gren-Check-Small.png

Titanium

[QUOTE="I Yes, when Kendall went to the Liquitek formula, they dropped Ti. It appears only Castrol Edge is the only one that's mainstream with Ti in it's formula for SP/GF6. Their 5w20 SP/GF6 on PQIA:
Molybdenum

Gren-Check-Small.png

Titanium

[/QUOTE]
Thanks all for the great info.

The new moly based additive package seems to be doing a great job from the looks of the Iron residues (these are some long oil change intervals too!!). It's possible the filter eats up some of the wear, but it doesn't filter very small particles. So some wear is measured by the UOA and imho these readings can give a rough idea of whether heavy wear is happening or not. This prediction isn't perfectly reliable, but close enough for many of us. For example, if you had some sort of gasket failure with coolant mixing in I think the UOA would almost certainly catch that.

Back