2018 Charger SXT 3.6 - Quaker State Ult. Syn - 5W20 8,773/12,990 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2018 Dodge Charger SXT. 13k on car but really only about 10k on engine. New car. Threw CEL at 130 miles. Chrysler said only option was fix car. Engine was sort of replaced after two months of NEW CAR sitting at dealer. They did a long block- on a brand new car!

Anyway, ALS analysis. First post, trying to post screen scrape as .jpg, but this gives no indication if / where it's going to post the picture, so including text.
They said silicon is high probably because of sealant, which I can believe since Joe dealer mechanic put the FrankenEngine together. There's sealant outside the engine where it shouldn't be, so there's probably some where it shouldn't be inside. 0W20 put in about 1,000 or so miles after getting car back, so this is almost a first oil change. Wanted whatever bulk oil they put in when they assembled it out of it.

DATE SAMPLED 11-Aug-18
DATE RECEIVED 22-Aug-18
DATE REPORTED 29-Aug-18
SIF NO. 34440389
TIME ON UNIT mi 12990
TIME ON OIL mi 8773
OIL BRAND Quaker State
OIL TYPE Synthetic
OIL GRADE 5W20
OIL ADDED
FILTER Changed
OIL CHANGED Changed

Metals (ppm)
Iron (Fe) 35
Chromium (Cr) Lead (Pb) Copper (Cu) 131
Tin (Sn) Aluminium (Al) 7
Nickel (Ni) Silver (Ag) Titanium (Ti) Vanadium (V)
Contaminants (ppm)
Silicon (Si) 44
Sodium (Na) 12
Potassium (K) 13

Additives (ppm)
Magnesium (Mg) 551
Calcium (Ca) 1333
Barium (Ba) Phosphorus (P) 704
Zinc (Zn) 857
Molybdenum (Mo) 141
Boron (B) 9

Contaminants
Water (%) Coolant No

Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 8.5

Physical / Chemical
Base Number (mgKOH/g) 3.1

DIAGNOSIS 29-Aug-18
Engine wear levels appear satisfactory for run-in
period. The higher than normal copper level is due to
leaching of copper oxide from the oil cooler, and does
not indicate a related wear problem. Silicon level is
most likely due to seal and gasket material reaction
with the lubricant. Other contaminant levels
acceptable. Viscosity within specified operating range.
Action: As oil and filter(s) already changed, resample
next service interval to monitor and establish wear
trend.

oil analysis 1.JPG

So, a question. I posted the report on another - vehicle specific - site and I made the statement that "it looks like the oil still has some life left in it", and was shot down. The person who questioned me asked where I got that idea from. Basically, TBN > 1, all additives look reasonable based on what they began at, and the viscosity is what it started at, so not sheared. Got a bunch about additives are not right for that engine, and Moly makes acid, and other stuff.
I HAVE to change it when the oil wear indicator says, and > less than 10,000 miles under any conditions, so I won't be extending intervals. At $ 20 a jug + 1/2 qt additional, it's pretty cheap.
Other than the silicon - probably from sealant - all looks good, right? Not gonna cause short life by using this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back