2018 Camaro LT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car now has 400 miles. This is my first V8 performance engine.

When do you guys recommend for first oil change? Car seen WOT few times and other than that just regular driving.

It takes 10 qts. Located in Texas, which we see 100 degress during a day.
Thinking about M1 0w-40 instead of 5w30.

Last edited:
Isn't M1 0w-40 what is going into the corvettes now? I'd use that, other than the fact that if you need a dexos1 gen2 oil to keep warranty, you need to consider that as well.

As far as time,, does the manual give any insight?

I probably would have stayed away from WOT for the first 500-1000, just going with heavy throttle and lots of closed throttle deceleration. Not sure if it affects break in effects on the oil though.

Early is fine, but I wouldn't be overly fast, you'll see elevated metals in a UOA, but I'm not sure that makes too huge of a difference in the long run. Some do 1000-1200, others wait. Some compromise and do halfway. All are fine, what makes you most comfortable?

I'd keep it in to 1k and switch to M1 0W-40. The new factory fill for the 'Vettes is M1 0W-40 ESP but I haven't seen it in stores yet.

Person preference. I dump factory fill at 500 miles. I did on my 2013 Camaro SS/RS

You have a 10qt sump. A full synthetic 5w-30 will work just fine in you location.

If you tracked the car on a weekly basis then going to a 0w-40 would make sense, but for what/how you drive 5w-30 is fine.

I ran my Camaro hard and ran 0w-30 in it and the UOA's came back steller. It saw redline pulls on a constant basis, to much fun not to.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
I would dump it within the next 100mi and use Mobil 1 0w40.

^^^^^ This +++

I'm guessing it has the dry sump since it's 10 quarts so don't they already recommend a 500 mile oil change just like on the dry sump LT1 Corvettes?

Either way, I would recommend dumping it early. I did the first oil change in my LT1 Corvette (which has the 7qt wet sump) at 1100 miles and I'm glad I did because it had 2% fuel in it and had thinned out to a 5w20.

Because the new M1 0w40 ESP isn't available in retail stores yet, I'm currently using the 5w30 Formula ESP instead. Once the 0w40 comes out, if it's significantly less money I will go with that.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What about the trans and differential?

I wouldn't worry about the trans just yet, they don't shed break in materials like an engine does so you could wait until 30k if it's an automatic and even longer if it's a manual. The diff is a different story, I think it should have it's first change much sooner than the trans, maybe 5 or 10k.

If you are doing 6000 rpm shifts, Mobil 1 ESP 0W40, If you aren’t, you can run the Mobil 1 0W40 during the summer and run 5w30 for the rest of the year. Keep in mind GM is not asking for 0W40. It’s just this darn Corvette issue. Maybe with the Corvette, GM knows the 0W40 will get you through the warranty period if you are driving hard but you are on your own for the longevity of your AFM system beyond the warranty. Or just chalk it up to CAFE again and run 0w40. When your Corvette has 300,00 miles, report back.

Last edited:
I would run Castrol 0/40. If the internals were going to come apart it would in the first 500 miles with redline shifts. If something internaling went wrong, to void the warranty, they would have to prove that the oil caused the failure. These low weight oils are all Cafe garage

Camaro LT1 is Wet sump not dry sump.

Ditto on the new M1 0W40 if you can find it. But, id keep using an oil that meets Dexos Specs so you dont have to worry about warranty.

You get two free oil changes right? I went in at 1k and been using "Track Oil" ever since.

I changed my diff oil after 1k miles but it wasn't really needed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
If you are doing 6000 rpm shifts, Mobil 1 ESP 0W40, If you aren’t, you can run the Mobil 1 0W40 during the summer and run 5w30 for the rest of the year. Keep in mind GM is not asking for 0W40. It’s just this darn Corvette issue. Maybe with the Corvette, GM knows the 0W40 will get you through the warranty period if you are driving hard but you are on your own for the longevity of your AFM system beyond the warranty. Or just chalk it up to CAFE again and run 0w40. When your Corvette has 300,00 miles, report back.

I'm planning on keeping my Corvette a long time and unlike a lot of Corvettes it's not going to be a low mileage garage queen (already have 5200 miles on it and I picked it up in December) And once I start using it to go back and forth to Florida in the winter the miles will pile on even faster
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
I would run Castrol 0/40. If the internals were going to come apart it would in the first 500 miles with redline shifts. If something internaling went wrong, to void the warranty, they would have to prove that the oil caused the failure. These low weight oils are all Cafe garage

There is no sense making life any more difficult, and there are many good choices in oils that still meet the warranty requirements. So why would someone in their right mind deviate from that and possibly be denied a warranty claim? Sure, you could fight it and win, but that'll involve lawyers and time and who needs that kind of nonsense? Just pick one of the many available warranty approved choices, and wait until the warranty is up before you deviate from that.

Thanks guys. I will dump it soon and go m1 0w40. I dont even think i can find Castrol 0w40 in my area. From what i remember M1 0w40 was best choice for 40 in my area.

@thescreensavers

Yes, they gave me two free oil change but they told me at 5000 miles and 10k miles.

Last edited:
Noob question.

Can anyone explain what dry sump vs wet sump easier way? I mean each pros and cons

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
you can run the Mobil 1 0W40 during the summer and run 5w30 for the rest of the year.

He is in Texas, he could easily run 10w60 super car oil year round if he wanted to (not recommending it just sayin).

Originally Posted By: s2krunner

@thescreensavers

Yes, they gave me two free oil change but they told me at 5000 miles and 10k miles.

I just scheduled mine online and showed up, they had to get the service manager to sign off but I didn't have any issues.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: CT8
What about the trans and differential?

I wouldn't worry about the trans just yet, they don't shed break in materials like an engine does so you could wait until 30k if it's an automatic and even longer if it's a manual. The diff is a different story, I think it should have it's first change much sooner than the trans, maybe 5 or 10k.

Wrong, it is generally accepted here that a auto trans sheds most of its materials within 10k miles. I am not really sure about the rear end but I have never heard anyone recommend dumping the FF early on a rear end when many vehicles are in the scrapyard with FF.

I get that 0W40s are good oils, but if I lived in Tejas I would be running something thicker, probably that Delo 15W30 SD if I wanted something stout that was not a 0W

if the rear diff is like in a 2015 ss for sure change it. mine was black at 1500 miles and stunk to high heaven. get on camaro forum and read about it. most people go with royal purple. thats what i did. it has the additive already in for the posi unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back