2018 Avalon - 2GR-FE - 12,528 Miles - M1AP 5w-30

Here is the UOA results for my 2018 Avalon with the 2GR-FE, 12,528 miles on this run.
I'm also including an earlier analysis that I thought I had previously posted but I wasn't able to locate the thread.
Filters were either Fram XG9972 or Mobil1 M1C-251A.
Normally I wouldn't go much beyond 10k but we had a 4,000 mile road trip at the end of the run and poor planning on my part meant I ran out of time to change the oil before we left.
All that said, this thing is boring as heck.
Just as I like it!

New Analysis.PNG

Last edited:
Those 2GR-FE engines are near bullet proof. I sampled at 10-12k on my Avalon and the results were also great.
Yeah they're just ridiculously good, especially when mated to an Avalon.
We did a 4000 mile road trip and it was like driving a barcalounger for two weeks.

My two kids are in their early twenties and this was the first road trip where they did a lot of the driving. I set up shop in the back seat and lived like a king!

Amazing. That oil and engine pairing seems well suited to the driving you're doing. keep on keepin on.

Why did you change viscosities? Warranty?
Strictly for convenience.

I used the last of the clearance M1AP 5w30 that I had. It was due for a change in the spring and figured I might as well use it up in the warm months.

It'll be 0w-20 from here on out because it is common across my fleet.

Good call.
I’ve used 5w30 for over 90k on my ‘12 without incident, which is why I asked. (Recommended)
M1 is a great match to that engine.

Here is the UOA results for my 2018 Avalon with the 2GR-FE, 12,528 miles on this run.
I'm also including an earlier analysis that I thought I had previously posted but I wasn't able to locate the thread.
Filters were either Fram XG9972 or Mobil1 M1C-251A.
Normally I wouldn't go much beyond 10k but we had a 4,000 mile road trip at the end of the run and poor planning on my part meant I ran out of time to change the oil before we left.
All that said, this thing is boring as heck.
Just as I like it!

View attachment 111775
Great Report!
Plenty of TBN left @ 3.4
This engine can easily run a UOA of 15k-18k miles
I look fwd to your next report
Thanks for sharing

Great Report!
Plenty of TBN left @ 3.4
This engine can easily run a UOA of 15k-18k miles
I look fwd to your next report
Thanks for sharing
Exactly, just when they (Toyota) have perfected an engine to be bullet proof reliable, they drop it out of production and proceed to EXPERIMENT with a totally new design… 😒🤨🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Exactly, just when they (Toyota) have perfected an engine to be bullet proof reliable, they drop it out of production and proceed to EXPERIMENT with a totally new design… 😒🤨🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
Yeah I own a 2016 Avalon, now with 101,000 miles on it and I recently did my first ever 10,000 mile interval (with UOA posted here), results were absolutely perfect. Wear metals at 6ppm, TBN still high. Used Mobil1 EP 0W20 and Fram Ultra.

The question I have have is with a 2018 like the one in this UOA, did Toyota go direct injection in 2018? I believe 2016 was the last year they used port injection on the Avalon, but I could be wrong. But if it is direct injection...with a UOA like this one?? That’s excellent for a direct injected engine, or any engine.

Yeah they're just ridiculously good, especially when mated to an Avalon.
We did a 4000 mile road trip and it was like driving a barcalounger for two weeks.

My two kids are in their early twenties and this was the first road trip where they did a lot of the driving. I set up shop in the back seat and lived like a king!
Excellent report!

I have a 2016 Avalon with 101,000 miles on it now, the thing has been absolutely flawless since day one. Not one single repair other than maintenance, tires and brakes. I drive around 500 miles per week and I’m averaging 28 mpg lifetime on this thing with the 2GRFE V6. Love this engine!

Back