2018 Audi S4 | Liqui Moly 0w-20 Top Tec 6200 | 6500mi OCI

Hello and good day fellow enthusiasts,

My friend just got his first UOA done on his recent oil drain. Please review and share your thoughts to if anything looks concerning or if all looks well.

We are trying to determine if 7500mi OCI seems reasonable or if he should shorten the frequency to 5k miles. I don't know nearly enough to have a reputable opinion. The only thing that makes me uncomfortable is that I think the oil viscosity at 100 degrees C is too thin.

Screenshot_20220120-011157_Drive.jpg

By the looks of it I’d say 7,500 miles is doable, but is that the correct weight for that engine? I figured it’d be a 0w40 or something.

I believe there is a bit of fuel dilution there which can be seen in flash point and viscosity but it's not too bad. Quite a few short trips maybe?

While I am a practitioner of VWs 10k OCIs if this were my car I'd drop back to 5k. I suspect due to usage pattern as there are many 10k UOAs on here with VW508 that are fine.

Not good.
Viscosity is within the range but there is 1qt of make up oil.
Flash point is down and again, with 1qt make up.
If vehicle is out of warranty move to VW504.00/507.00 or VW511.00 oils.
Also, you don’t have TBN and TAN measurements so it is hard to determine OCI without it.

Not good.
Viscosity is within the range but there is 1qt of make up oil.
Flash point is down and again, with 1qt make up.
If vehicle is out of warranty move to VW504.00/507.00 or VW511.00 oils.
Also, you don’t have TBN and TAN measurements so it is hard to determine OCI without it.
Or keep running the appropriate spec oil.

We don't see engines failing on these oils. It's a solid spec. We can have different viewpoints.
How many miles these engines have? VW508.00 is used in S4 in the last 3 years.
They won’t fail on 0W8 oil.
If OP doesn’t want to keep car longer than 4-5yrs, he can for sure run this oil.

If OP doesn’t want to keep car longer than 4-5yrs, he can for sure run this oil.
It’s not about wanting to keep it 4-5 years…. It’s about it actually lasting that long in the first place. 😅😁

It’s not about wanting to keep it 4-5 years…. It’s about it actually lasting that long in the first place. 😅😁
These engines can easily rack up 300k. However, I am not sure on 0W20 and driving it like S4 should be driven.
Any Audi is going to outlive any appliance vehicle if just little bit attention is paid to it. And they will never rust, even when they end up on junkyard.

Again, a guy over on Vortex has over 300k using 508.00 oil.

Again, a guy over on Vortex has over 300k using 508.00 oil.
Good for him. I personally would not.
Again, in EU not only that they use VW504.00 but VW decided to introduce VW511.00 which is 40 grade specifically for Audi S and RS engines and Porsche engines.
If he racked up 300k on engine that is on the market only few years, that means he pretty much has only HWY miles.

I doubt Audi would require 508 in its S4 if not thoroughly vetted. They could just have required it for their A4 if it presented excessive wear issues in the S. At just 16k A4/S4 sold in 2021 and I'm guessing the majority being A4, not requiring 508 in the S4 would hardly be an issue for their CAFE credits.

Good report OP, keep it up and congrats on a nice ride.

Yeah I'd step up to the 504 or 511 like the others suggest since 7.23 is bottomed out. And wow that's sad, already consuming oil at such low mileage. TBN would be a nice have to determine oci length.

Back