Liqui Moly 5w30 Top Tec 4300 in a Honda FN2 Type R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I am from Cape Town, South Africa but have been in Chicago for the last month on business ( will be in Dallas as of tomorrow for my last week in the US ).

I own a Euro Spec (FN2) Honda Civic Type R (K20Z4 engine) producing 212bhp @ 8100RPM with Hondata Flashpro Software installed. It’s very similar to your Honda Civic Si using the K20Z3 engine with the Si pushing out less power.
It sees the track 1 to 3 times every two months.

The mileage on my vehicle is 45 000km. At the first 2 oil changes at 15 000 and 30 000km's Total Quartz 9000 5w30 was used but on the last change Mobil One 0w40 was put in. My biggest concern is lubrication at high RPMs where my Honda spends allot of time. I have read allot of Japanese articles recommending oils flowing at round about 10cst’s in the Type R engines because of the revolutions the engine turns at ( my car limits at 8600RPM ).
Yet , all the guys on this forum claim such an oil ( a thin 30 weight that is ) is to thin for high output high reving engines , yet all my research has concluded that high flowing oils do not necessarily means low film strength or more load on the bearing.

My plan is to run Liqui Moly’s ( Lubro Moly in the US ) Top Tec 4300 5w30 (Group III) oil in my Honda with 4000 – 5000km OCI’s. This is an oil recommended by LM and is well priced and easily available. Please note , the car does very short trips daily to work ( roughly 7 miles to work ) , ambient temp is never below 5 degrees Celsius and max temps in summer can reach up to 30 degrees celcius. The first two OCI’s were pretty long to ensure proper bedding of the internal parts. Please see the spec on the Liqui Moly oil below.

You comments and advice on my plan would be greatly appreciated.

Top Tec 4300 5w30

Specifications and approvals
API SM/CF
ACEA A1-04/B1-04, A5-04/B5-04, C2-04
LIQUI MOLY recommends this product particularly for the following vehicle
manufacturers for which a lubricant with this specification is required:
Peugeot, Citroen, Honda, Toyota, Fiat
Fiat 9.55535 S1
Citroën (PSA) B71 2290
ILSAC GF-3

TECHNICAL
DATA

Viscosity class : 5W-30
Viscosity at +40 °C : 54.5 mm²/s DIN 51562
Viscosity at +100 °C : 9.7 mm²/s DIN 51562
Viscosity index : 170 DIN ISO 2909
Pour point : - 40 °C DIN ISO 3016
Ash, sulfate : < 0.8 g/100 g DIN 51575
Base number : 7.9 mg KOH/g DIN ISO 3771
High temperature/
High shear viscosity : > 2.9 mPa x s CEC CL-23

DESCRIPTION Top Tec 4300 is a state-of-the-art, low-ash low-friction motor oil of top quality for use
all year round. The combination of unconventional basic oils using synthetic
technology together with the latest additive technology guarantees a motor oil that
provides exceptional protection against wear and reduces oil and fuel consumption,
while ensuring fast oil penetration of the engine. Different vehicle manufacturers
require a motor oil with this specification for use with diesel particulate filters (DPF)
to ensure the maximum service life of the DPF. Oil change intervals of up to
40,000 km are thus possible, depending on the manufacturer's specifications. Top
Tec 4300 is also ideal for use in gas-driven passenger cars (CNG/LPG).

Last edited:
If Liqui-Moly Top Tec 4300 is reasonable priced and easily available in S. Africa I would use it without worrying. Liqui-Moly is a good company with good products, they don't have any sub-par products.

Since you track your car, another great oil is Red Line. If you can buy it in your area easily you may want to give it a trial.

Originally Posted By: Fuzz1
..............I own a Euro Spec (FN2) Honda Civic Type R (K20Z4 engine) producing 212bhp @ 8100RPM with Hondata Flashpro Software installed.........

Is Honda specifying only a 5W30 for this engine?

Honda specs different viscosities in different countries. That motor would get 5w20 here in the states.

well , we get most oils over here but they all cost about double. We get everything from Amsoil to Redline to Royal Purple yet they are more than double the price. The euro oils are allot cheaper especially Liqui Moly. We only get the Mobil 1 0w40 here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back