2017 Mazda CX-5 Battery

Battery time. It sounded weak. And DVM check yielded 12.4 v after my wife drove it around town.

Calls for a group 35 battery, $129 at wal-mart. $159 at orielly for their deka battery. A 26r battery will fit if you trim the plastic shield around the positive battery cable side.

The wal-mart 26r will fit as long as you have the height adapter that comes on the battery. The 26r is $54.99.

Oreilly lists the 26r as a fit, its $119 and $159.

Last edited:
26r is cheaper because it's a smaller battery with only 540 cca. My wm everstart maxx is 725 cca. You want the oem spec size battery for your vehicle. Generally, the bigger the battery, the higher the cca, and the longer it will last. .02

26r is cheaper because it's a smaller battery with only 540 cca. My wm everstart maxx is 725 cca. You want the oem spec size battery for your vehicle. Generally, the bigger the battery, the higher the cca, and the longer it will last. .02
I thought i would try this value line battery , as the vehicle sits a lot now. My wife works from home, i don't drive it. So very few miles probably only 5k this year.

The 540cca meets the requirements.

Last edited:
I thought i would try this value line battery , as the vehicle sits a lot now. My wife works from home, i don't drive it. So very few miles probably only 5k this year.
I see. The less you drive the car, the less the battery is charged by the alternator and the sooner it will expire. I paid $88 for my maxx on sale. See if you can catch a sale. The value battery also comes in the larger 24f size for about $64. The larger value battery at $64 is your best buy as it will last longer than the smaller battery. .02. Hope this helps.

I see. The less you drive the car, the less the battery is charged by the alternator and the sooner it will expire. I paid $88 for my maxx on sale. See if you can catch a sale. The value battery also comes in the larger 24f size for about $64. The larger value battery at $64 is your best buy as it will last longer than the smaller battery. .02. Hope this helps.
I generally go for the largest battery with the lowest cca that meets the specs. But in this case it is not driven much so i thought i would try this.

If it does not last i will shell out the $159 or so for the deka.

Federated Auto parts near you spasm??

They have East Penn batteries there at good prices ...

Group 24f two year warranty battery for $99 ... 550 CCA and weighs 37 pounds.

I think the 3 yr warranty battery from there is around $120-125 now...

If you can fit a group 35 then I'd bet decent money a group 24f will fit too.

Federated Auto parts near you spasm??

They have East Penn batteries there at good prices ...

Group 24f two year warranty battery for $99 ... 550 CCA and weighs 37 pounds.

I think the 3 yr warranty battery from there is around $120-125 now...

If you can fit a group 35 then I'd bet decent money a group 24f will fit too.
Thanks, don't have that chain around here. The wm battery is ready installed.
Will see how long it lasts.

Maybe this is a good time to remind people that "battery knowledgeable" people suggest placing an overnight charger on our underused vehicles once every 2 months or so to keep the battery as close to full charge as possible.

The old neighbors I bought a battery for yesterday understand the concept and that their failing battery wasn't going to deliver reliable service as early morning failures were common....the damage to it was already done and severe.
They didn't want the cheapest battery offered.

Thread update:

I heard the starter turn over a touch slower than usually when my wife started it. When she got back from a 1 hr drive, i checked the voltage and it was ok at 12.59.

IMG_20231126_133058000_HDR.jpg

Then i got to thinking that the reading was just surface charge from just being driven.

So I turned on the headlights for 15 seconds without staring the engine, turned them off, and got this reading.
IMG_20231126_153515306_HDR.jpg

So the battery is giving up.

The value line group ( paid $54.99 then)26r made it almost to 2 years.
The Mazda sits a lot as my wife works from home. It is driven every weekend though.

Did sitting kill it, or is that the life expectancy of a value line battery?
I will probably go with a standard non value line group 35 battery as a replacement.

So the battery is giving up......

.....Did sitting kill it, or is that the life expectancy of a value line battery?.......
Imo, I'd say the "sitting" didn't help the battery life. My advice would be if the vehicle sits often for long periods, put a battery maintainer/charger on it occasionally to bring it back up. I do that with all my batteries. I think that could help the battery life.

I will probably go with a standard non value line group 35 battery as a replacement.
All kinds of batteries die for all kinds of reasons. Buying a non value line battery won't prevent that, it only allows you to get a free replacement if it does within the warranty period. Even a 3 year battery can die in 6 months if something internal goes bad. Some have suggested that the 1,2,3 year batteries are all the same except for the labeling and warranty.

Thread update:

The value line group ( paid $54.99 then) 26r made it almost to 2 years.

You got 1 year, 11 months, and 1 day out of the cheapest 1 year battery money can buy.
I think you got your moneys worth.

The real question you should be asking yourself is how much longer you are planning on keeping the CX-5, and then take steps to help your next battery last that long. Better battery, battery charger, actual real battery tester usage, etc.

You got 1 year, 11 months, and 1 day out of the cheapest 1 year battery money can buy.
I think you got your moneys worth.

The real question you should be asking yourself is how much longer you are planning on keeping the CX-5, and then take steps to help your next battery last that long. Better battery, battery charger, actual real battery tester usage, etc.
Yes I am not unhappy with nearly 2 years from a $59 battery. I am more curious as to which , or both lead to the 2 year failure.
Was it the cheapness of the battery?
Was it the sitting? Both?
The Mazda sits most of the week. But is driven every weekend usually at least 30-40 miles.
Some longer trips for vacations.
I do have trickle chargers(batterminder) that I use on the camper and riding mower.
Would that benefit a car that is driven 50-70 miles a weekend but sits otherwise?
I have a big manual charger/ starter, a carbon pile tester, and the battery minders.
IMG_20231227_211537293_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231227_211719771_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231227_211726726_HDR.jpg

I suspect using a battery tender regularly would likely extend life...by how much is anyone's guess. I would try to figure out a convenient way to connect your Battery Minder up when the car not going to be driven for more than a few days. I have all my cars and motorcycle that are not daily driven connected up to battery tenders. Even my daily driver I have a convenient way to connect it up if I want, using a cigarette lighter adapter (socket is always "on").

Yes I am not unhappy with nearly 2 years from a $59 battery. I am more curious as to which , or both lead to the 2 year failure.
Was it the cheapness of the battery?
Was it the sitting? Both?
The Mazda sits most of the week. But is driven every weekend usually at least 30-40 miles.
Some longer trips for vacations.
I do have trickle chargers(batterminder) that I use on the camper and riding mower.
Would that benefit a car that is driven 50-70 miles a weekend but sits otherwise?
I have a big manual charger/ starter, a carbon pile tester, and the battery minders.
View attachment 195149View attachment 195150View attachment 195151

Hard to find a lawn tractor battery for that price right now …

Back