Old School Mazda CX-5

Our older son will be of driving age shortly so we've been looking at adding a third vehicle to the stable. Seeing as both my wife and I miss having a standard transmission to thrash, it was on the list of requirements. We also feel it's important to know how to drive a standard...if only for renting cars in other countries.

Looking for something around 8 to 10 years old, we drove some VWs, but ended up with a 2013 CX-5. 2.0l skyactiv with a 6 speed manual. A base "sport" model and pretty rustic. It does have PW, PD, air and cruise, so not a a third world stripper or anything. After going through it and doing some maintenance (trans fluid, bleeding the clutch, new wipers, etc, I've discovered some interesting things. While checking the cabin air filter and looking behind the dash, all the HVAC controls, except the recirculate/fresh door, are cable actuated. I suspect this is only on the base model, but every vehicle we've owned since the '90s has motors and blend door actuators. It is so strange to see the cables coming out of the controls. I don't mind in the least, as replacing a blend door motor can require huge dash disassembly, but surprised at the simplicity of this one.

I still have to replace the belts and tensioner as it squeals a bit (quiet's down with a squirt of water on the belt, but have the tensioner ordered so will replace it anyway). There is also a very occasional clunking noise turning left and hitting a bump at the same time, but no noises, shakes or odd behavior at any speed, otherwise so will dig into that in the spring. Any experiences with this vehicle and information would be appreciated.

A friend of mine has one. It is dog slow. So it’s probably a good fit for a new driver.

Will check them next time I'm in there. Yup, not a rocket by any means, but likes to rev and be spanked so can be it's own brand of fun.

That should be a dandy car. The 2.0 SkyActiv is a great little motor that gets very good fuel economy. Mazda’s manual transmissions are known to be very good. All in all a great combination.

The kid is doing well. His younger brother is now driving the CX-5 to High School (since October) and he's just finished his first semester of Engineering at the university of Calgary. He takes the bus most days and has definitely found his calling in mechanical engineering. He bought a 2008 Ranger (2.3liter, 5 speed manual single cab) from a (distant) family member for $1k Cdn and has started doing maintenance and updates to that when he has a few minutes.

I'd like to say the CX-5 has been flawless, but not quite. Not an inherent problem with the car, but the risk of buying a used vehicle did cause a bit of a burn.

The clunking noise turned out to be a lower control arm ball joint. I had to replace the lower control arm as the OEM wasn't removeable. After that we had a bit of a leak from the transmission axle seal on the same side and had the seal replaced. Drove it about 20k miles and there was a whirring noise that started cropping up with the clutch out and had it diagnosed to something inside the transmission. Due to the crazy cost of used vehicles, and the fact a new transmission from Mazda was $3k Cdn, we dropped a new transmission into it along with a new clutch and slave cylinder.

It drives like new now and expect to keep it a long time. the younger son is a pretty cautious driver and picked up on the manual transmission quickly. I'm quite sure the original owner curbed the passenger front wheel and damaged the ball joint, output seal and some bearing inside the transmission. While all of that is unpleasant, the value of the CX-5 today is still enough to cover our original purchase price along with all the repairs, so still a win. The damaged transmission was donated to the high school auto shop.

Now THAT'S how to respond to a comment! Glad he's doing fine.

Our family's association with the marque started in 2012 when my sister bought a Mazda3 iTouring automatic new. She loved it and bettered the 40mpg estimate often. I suggested she get an auto-dimming mirror and roof-racks and she did.
One warranty repair involved a bad left front wheel bearing. Sis asked me to come over to verify and it growled like a lion. She had a three day wait for an appointment, during which she drove the car. Mazda replaced both. I suppose the mother ship knew of some production flaw with the bearings.

Come 2016 my wife tired of her 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon -something which didn't dovetail with any facet of her personality- and mused about selling it in favor of a Mazda; which my sister continually praised. A fellow 150 miles away who had wrapped his Saab around a tree gladly bought it. Ours was Chili Red and quite nifty. Since my wife is on the small side, the driver's seat wasn't rump-sprung one bit. We bought a 2016 Mazda3 Sport as it was the trim level which had no sunroof. Heated seats were only available on the top trim and that offended my wife.

That same year, a friend from her university days took inspiration and bought a CX-3 in the same color. She loves hers too.

In 2020, I spied a 2019 CX-5 at 'our dealership' and we traded Mazda for Mazda. At that time the car shortage was in in full swing and while I was giving the '16 a final clean out check, an ancient man and his wife came by to inspect the car which soon would be his. The salesman had called them. It was a lovefest rivaling a Subaru commercial.

The larger size of the CX-5 is a great feature. Ours has the 2.5l engine and the same 6 speed auto. Sis' 2012 had the first or second year of the Skyactiv 2.0l engine and sported the flashy, light blue mirrored top cover. It was 1998cc but called 2.0l by many.
I can tell you WIX and Hastings needed time to make an oil filter which accommodated the new 2.0's lower bypass pressure setting. All the other oil filters simply applied the existing filter to the new engine. Can you say, untrustworthy bar stewards?

Fast forward to today and I can tell you about a city dwelling friend who has asked about buying our CX-5. I have history of and a good reputation with selling cars to friends but at this particular moment we're not sure there's anything we want which is better-for-the-bother. Cheers

Our older son will be of driving age shortly so we've been looking at adding a third vehicle to the stable. Seeing as both my wife and I miss having a standard transmission to thrash, it was on the list of requirements. We also feel it's important to know how to drive a standard...if only for renting cars in other countries.

Looking for something around 8 to 10 years old, we drove some VWs, but ended up with a 2013 CX-5. 2.0l skyactiv with a 6 speed manual. A base "sport" model and pretty rustic. It does have PW, PD, air and cruise, so not a a third world stripper or anything. After going through it and doing some maintenance (trans fluid, bleeding the clutch, new wipers, etc, I've discovered some interesting things. While checking the cabin air filter and looking behind the dash, all the HVAC controls, except the recirculate/fresh door, are cable actuated. I suspect this is only on the base model, but every vehicle we've owned since the '90s has motors and blend door actuators. It is so strange to see the cables coming out of the controls. I don't mind in the least, as replacing a blend door motor can require huge dash disassembly, but surprised at the simplicity of this one.

I still have to replace the belts and tensioner as it squeals a bit (quiet's down with a squirt of water on the belt, but have the tensioner ordered so will replace it anyway). There is also a very occasional clunking noise turning left and hitting a bump at the same time, but no noises, shakes or odd behavior at any speed, otherwise so will dig into that in the spring. Any experiences with this vehicle and information would be appreciated.
I owned a 2013 Mazda CX5 GT since new for 10 years! It was probably my favorite vehicle! I sold it in August 2022 when we moved to the country to get a pickup truck.

They are great vehicles that get incredible mileage. My lifetime average recorded in fuelly.com was 30.3 mpg.

The belt tensioner is a common issue. The only other issue I was aware of and kept an eye on was the oil control valve.

Back