2017 Mazda 3 with new extra large grille

Status
Not open for further replies.
Functionality, Mazda 3 doesn't need a grille so huge, if you look carefully at the pictures the lower half of the grille is blocked.

Quote:
Another cornerstone of Mazda’s strategy is its KODO design. With the Mazda 3, the automaker has introduced a new grille it says is bolder, stronger, and recognizable from a hundred yards; it’s wider, giving it an improved presence. It adds a more three-dimensional quality to the front, an approach that extends to both new models so they look and feel more stable.

“This is a refreshment,” explained Julien Montousse, Director of Design, Mazda North American Operations. “We don’t have to redesign the whole car but it’s an opportunity to go back into the wish list and make sure that these cars have the level of craftsmanship that we’ve always targeted. The cars are much more horizontal, moving them into that premium territory.”

Mazda 3 is on the left and Mazda 6 is on the right
mazda-3-2017-model-mazda-6-2017-model-034-630x420.jpg

The grille lower half is blocked
mazda-3-2017-model-mazda-6-2017-model-017-630x420.jpg

2017 Mazda 3
mazda-3-2017-model-mazda-6-2017-model-007-630x420.jpg

2017 Mazda 6
2016-mazda6-la.jpg

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/08/21/2017-mazda-3-mazda-6-first-look/

If vehicle design was purely about function, they'd all look the same. Oh wait, they do
grin.gif
that black plastic that blocks off the lower half of the grille does look tacky, but I love Mazda's current design philosophy.

There has got to be some secret prestigious competition where they give out awards for the biggest grilles. That's how I explain to myself this huge grille trend in the industry.

So where does the front license plate go without looking stupid? In front of the block off, naturally, but it'll look dumb.

Looks kind of silly... I wish the bumpers were more functional. One collsion with that setup and the driver will be out a good deal of $$$.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
So where does the front license plate go without looking stupid? In front of the block off, naturally, but it'll look dumb.

No kidding. I realize there are US states which don't require front plates; but living in one that does means I wish they would just anticipate that from the beginning, and put in a spot for it. If necessary, just come up with two bumper designs, plate and non-plate.

The OP says this is a "new extra large grille," but is the grille really growing in size?

The 2017 is just a mild cosmetic refresh of the existing model. Looking at photos, I'm not sure the grille is significantly larger than the 2016 model.

2016_mazda_mazda3_s_grand_touring_hatchback-pic-2001505439036637043-1600x1200.jpeg

2017-Mazda-3-104-876x535.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
There has got to be some secret prestigious competition where they give out awards for the biggest grilles. That's how I explain to myself this huge grille trend in the industry.

Looks like many car companies are making larger grille than needed.

New 2017 Genesis G90 grille, the lower half is blocked too.

01-genesis-g90.jpg

It's just a styling trend, they come and go... like the ridiculous fins on 50's American cars, wood paneling in the 60's and 70's, or the plethora of 80's vehicles with no grille at all. I personally like the large grille, but who knows how long they'll be fashionable for?

I always thought the whole reason for the larger section of black on the front of the Mazda 3 is so that you would be able to tell the difference between the 3 and the 6 when they are driving towards you on the road.

The Mazda 3's front grill eats the license plate, while the Mazda 6's license plate is below the black part of the grill.

BC.

It's "wider" and not necessarily "larger". I don't thing you can compare the Mazda grille with the absurdity of the new Lexus grilles. I will say this for Mazda, (Miata owner), they stay very true to their design philosophy. They are drivers cars pure and simple.

The 2017 Mazda 3 grille is wider and taller, the area is larger.
Originally Posted By: JGmazda
It's "wider" and not necessarily "larger". I don't thing you can compare the Mazda grille with the absurdity of the new Lexus grilles. I will say this for Mazda, (Miata owner), they stay very true to their design philosophy. They are drivers cars pure and simple.

The 2017 Mazda 3 grille is wider and taller, the area is larger.

If Mazda is staying true to their design philosophy(form follows function) then the whole grill of 2017 Mazda 3 should be designed for air needed not twice the size then blocks the bottom half.

2010 Mazda 3 with fake side air intakes, no needed but the fake side air intakes make the front end looks better ?

03944_2010_Mazda_Mazda3-1280x800.jpg

Many car models from various manufactures have fake side air intakes(some of them are huge) not just Mazda, and Mazda isn't above anyone else.

2016 Toyota Corolla with fake side air intakes

toyota_16corollale11a_angularfront_classicsilvermetallic.png

2016 Hyundai Elantra with fake side air intakes

Hyundai_Elantra_2016_5NPDH4AE9GH720812_51776_91753974.jpg

I guess it's one of those "love it or hate it" design elements. I'm not a huge fan or the 2010 models and the new Kodo- design is far more appealing IMHO. Fake intakes break-up the front end for visual reasons. Most are non-functional, These aren't high-end Porsche material...

In general Mazda exterior of most vehicles(cars and CUV's) are better looking than others in its class. Currently Mazda 6 looks more expensive than anyone in its class, it looks almost as expensive as upper class BMW, MB ...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
In general Mazda exterior of most vehicles(cars and CUV's) are better looking than others in its class. Currently Mazda 6 looks more expensive than anyone in its class, it looks almost as expensive as upper class BMW, MB ...

Agreed. Not only that, the driving dynamics are really great. I just spent the last two weekends helping my sister purchase a vehicle. (She finally settled on the CX-5 and is thrilled with it.) We drove They Hyundai/Kia twins, Honda and Subaru. She really liked the Subaru and the deciding factor was price and the CVT. The Mazda family of vehicles really exceeded most everything we tested.

The Mazda3's got nothing on the Lexus grille, as JGmazda pointed out (pic for emphasis). I would buy the Mazda3 in a heartbeat, though more for the handling/steering factor more than anything with its looks.

maxresdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back