2017 Kia Optima EX Trans fluid?

Hi-
Just bought a Kia its at 28,000 miles. Cant seem to find any info on how to change the trans fluid. I can see an inspection port bolt on the top of the trans but no dump bolt anywhere.

Rock Auto sells a filter and pan gasket set for this job (2.4 N.A.), which usually indicates that you need to pull the pan to do a transmission fluid swap on this car.

the trans itself needs to be split in two in order it access the filter from my knowledge. You just train and fill them. Its the same as the Hyundai Sonata's trans. There is a drain bolt somewhere under there. I'm fixing to do this job myself on my wife's sonata.

the bolt on the side of the trans is a check level port.

There is a procedure to get the trans up to operating temp, then let the fluid spill out that check level until it stops, then it is filled correctly.

It's kind of a mess to do it without a lift, it would be hard to get the car level while running.

On my sonata of earlier vintage there was a drain bolt and a fill port, but there was no filter to replace.

I had a shop do it and I used Maxlife ATF which met the Hyundai spec. Check your manual for the spec.

I literally just did this job on my 2018 Optima EX and I also have around 28k. There is no transmission filter to replace, because its deep in the tranny. Follow the video above.

The only difference in procedure I did was checking the fluid while the car is running at the right temp. This makes more sense to me as the pump is going and there needs to be consistent fluid in the pan. That youtuber has a couple videos doing this procedure, some are more thorough than others. I watched them all. It is pretty much the same on the optima however, cardboard undercover is much more annoying. Removing this took me longer than the drain and fill. Use a jack and jack stands to get the cover off, then you can pretty much access everything from the front with the car lowered and level. I did everything with the car level and there was plenty of room.

You will need a very long extension to hit the fill bolt without having to remove everything. The only thing I would suggest is rather than use that funnel in the video, is to use a funnel with a tube that allows air to escape. The way he does the job he removes the level check to allow air into the pan, however you end up wasting fluid in the process. I closed the check valve while filling and unless you pour extremely slow, it can make a big mess if the funnel burps out air. If you have a funnel with a small tube, it should be sufficient to allow air to escape. Also part of the problem was that I bought 2 gallon jugs from Walmart @ $18. If I had the quarts it would've been easier.

I got 4 quarts out of the pan draining it hot. The procedure in the shop manual says to put in 5 liters (5.2qts) but I put probably around 4.5-4.7qts~ after spillage.

I used Valvoline Max Life Multi ATF, worked great. I'm glad I didnt waste money on the OEM fluid but If you're concerned it might be worth it. I bought the car used so the warranty is only to 60k. If I had the 100k warranty I might have used OEM. But now that I know Maxlife is great stuff, won't be going back. I plan to do another drain and fill in a couple months and then every 30k.

Car shifts much better and the fluid that came out was horrible. The magnet was very, very saturated. If you're planning on changing the gasket, I used some left over Dorman 095-149 washers. They go on these 24mm drain plugs.

One last thing, Napa has 1 quart Maxlife ATF on sale right now for around 4.50, which is near the walmart price but the convenience of individual quarts.

Attachments

• 20210228_123229.jpg
    20210228_123229.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210228_123222.jpg
    20210228_123222.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Back