2017 Kia Forte W/ Magnatec 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had mentioned that I could not get a pen to write very well on the slips of paper that they provide (I typed up my notes for them.) Which is what the first comments address.

I changed the oil at approx 2K miles to remove FF oil and replaced with Magnatec 5W-30. I plan to use Kia's standard driving interval going forward of 7,500 mile OCI. I liked the Magnatec but Pennzoil Platinum went in, 5W-30 also. The engine is absolutely quieter with the PP. Our other car takes 5W-20 and this one can too so I may switch to 5W-20 to keep everything the same and see how the report changes later.

Oil Report 10-18 Forte.JPG

Last edited:
I have the same engine in my 2017 Elantra. I am finding 10w-30 Chevron Supreme the quietest this run. Will be changing back to 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum for Winter which is also great. I would stick with the 5w-30 based on your location and engine quietness with 30 weight oils. Seeing your report makes me happy I dropped the factory fill around 2k.

I don't really know how much noise matters to be honest. I like the Magnatec additive system and their unique molecular chemistry they use. PP is also a very good oil so I don't really think it matters in this case. Results look good for a new engine. Much better than any GM! LOL

Yeah, this change has me wondering if I should keep 30 weight also. It's really liking it.

I do think the Hybrid should get the 20W only because of how often the engine kicks on/off and having more flow might be beneficial.

My experience not a noisy engine when warm, but I keep mine at low RPM's most of time. Some owner's have complained of noise in general. At 0 degrees there is a lot of noise. That was with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20 and OEM filter last Winter. The reason I say 30 weight is my owner's manual says "higher viscosity oils are required for satisfactory lubrication in hot weather". Before that it says "Lower viscosity engine oils can provide better fuel economy and cold weather performance". I cannot tell fuel economy difference. I regulate that with the gas pedal.

Hybrid is a different thing. I have a lot of 30 weight oils in the garage so you know what I am going to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back