2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T - First Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pianokeys

I'm going to go with the Pennz platinum premium and call it a day. Will do a 1,000 mile oil change, then every 3,000 or 6 months, whichever occurs first.

Thanks again everyone. I came upon to this site years and years ago when auto-rx was the rage or snake oil, depending on your view. I must have spent a solid week reading everything I could. Amazed at the free knowledge one can get from this site.

pianokeys

Garak is right and we've gone over this a lot here, don't get hung up on how the manual is written, lots of mfr do this nonsense. Good choice, going with Pennzoil Plat 5w30. It's a great oil and meets the spec. If you didn't care about specs, you could go with 0W-40 in Edge, Mobil1 or Pennzoil Euro as well.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Garak is right and we've gone over this a lot here, don't get hung up on how the manual is written, lots of mfr do this nonsense. Good choice, going with Pennzoil Plat 5w30. It's a great oil and meets the spec. If you didn't care about specs, you could go with 0W-40 in Edge, Mobil1 or Pennzoil Euro as well.

The OEM is trying to be "nice" by not being too focused on one oil specification and viscosity, but it turns out when they try to word things, we just get fed confusion.
wink.gif

I wish they'd just say to purchase an A3/B4 lubricant, an A5/B5 lubricant, or an SN or SN/GF-5 oil of a list of viscosity options. Of course, that might make sense to BITOGers, but if you talk to the average person in the Walmart oil aisle and tell him to pick you an A3/B4 option, he might be a little perplexed. If Castrol 0w-40 or 0w-30 is there with the A3/B4 right on the front label, he might get lucky. You ask him to find an A5/B5 option, it could be a little more problematic.

I would agree that the Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 is a fine choice, and satisfies the OEM requirements.

I wonder if Hyundai is losing something in the English translation of their manuals? I've never owned a Hyundai but I'm driving a rental Santa Fe Sport 2016 at the moment. Not too impressed but it is a rental so there is that. The transmission is gutless to say the least.

That's certainly possible. I've also come across manuals that were just edited piecemeal as specifications evolved, leaving in phantom references to other viscosity options in various places in the manual. That never helps, either.

Originally Posted By: Garak
That's certainly possible. I've also come across manuals that were just edited piecemeal as specifications evolved, leaving in phantom references to other viscosity options in various places in the manual. That never helps, either.

All manufacturers have some confusing issues (though I never seen manufacturer specifying non existent specification).
In my manual for BMW it says LL-04 and 0W30, 5W30, 5W40 or 0W4 as long as it meets LL-04.
However, open the hood, and it says (besides Castrol on cap): Only BMW quality synthetic. Why not: BMW LL-04? Who knows. Maybe too expensive to add one more line on the sticker.

Oh, there are non-existent ones specified, like a Resource Conserving 5w-40, although, that's quite likely just an editor really not understanding what he's writing in the first place. Do yourself a favour and don't look into the recent Ford diesel threads, speaking of confusion.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Oh, there are non-existent ones specified, like a Resource Conserving 5w-40, although, that's quite likely just an editor really not understanding what he's writing in the first place. Do yourself a favour and don't look into the recent Ford diesel threads, speaking of confusion.

I mean Hyundai stating ACEA A5 and above.
But yeah, these specifications are designed to made it more simple, and they confused it even more.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Well, based on your writings I was expecting you will offer some education. But turns out you have no idea what is ACEA.

And you're just a pedantic buffoon who offers nothing to this forum...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Well, based on your writings I was expecting you will offer some education. But turns out you have no idea what is ACEA.

I guess education is missing word in your vocabulary. I would now put google link, but afraid you will bring it down to your level and beat me with experience.

I guess education is missing word in your vocabulary. I would now put google link, but afraid you will bring it down to your level and beat me with experience.

I guess "autism" is missing in yours?

Go ahead, explicitly explain why anything I said that was wrong...

But feel free to "educate" me on a standard I've been aware of for at least as long as you and was spec'd for the small stable of high performance cars we serviced at the oil change place...

What can I say to a guy that makes droning, ignorant blanket statements about other manufacturers when he owns one of the least reliable makes?

I guess "autism" is missing in yours?

Go ahead, explicitly explain why anything I said that was wrong...

But feel free to "educate" me on a standard I've been aware of for at least as long as you and was spec'd for the small stable of high performance cars we serviced at the oil change place...

What can I say to a guy that makes droning, ignorant blanket statements about other manufacturers when he owns one of the least reliable makes?

Explicitly explain? I thought you are the one who had issue with my statements. So I am still waiting "argument" except: buffoon, ignorant, etc., etc.
Small stable of high performance cars? What that means? Some certificate of know-how?
And when it comes to reliability. please let me know what issues I have, because I am not aware of them.

Consult any Consumer Reports and you'll see Kia/Hyundai owns VW and almost no VW's are recommended...

And you can reread your posts on "ACEA", which seem bizarre...

Consult any Consumer Reports and you'll see Kia/Hyundai owns VW and almost no VW's are recommended...

And you can reread your posts on "ACEA", which seem bizarre...

Consumer reports? Is that same company that said: American VW Passat has much better suspension then European version? Oh yes, it is that company.
If I was reading CR and fallow their results I would be driving Camry, and probably take public transportation to get some adrenaline going when traveling.
I might call them and ask them what problems I have on my car, and on other VW's I owned, because apparently they know better then I do about things in my garage.
Stick to Hyundai and Kia, since what could go wrong.

But yeah, these specifications are designed to made it more simple, and they confused it even more.

Yes, it is kind of unfortunate. If the manual said to use an A5/B5 or an A3/B4 or an E7, E9 or an E6, E7, E9 lubricant, without even listing a viscosity, many BITOGers would know exactly what to buy. Joe Public would be confused beyond belief.

But, there would be no ambiguity whatsoever. The viscosity and minimum requirements are all implied by those specifications in the first place.

If I was reading CR and fallow their results I would be driving Camry, and probably take public transportation to get some adrenaline going when traveling.

Well, when the scantly clad college girls are on the subway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back