2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T - First Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Read the Owner's Manual:

2mcumn8.jpg

2hcg75j.jpg

Good info. What year model is that excerpt from?

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Read the Owner's Manual:

2mcumn8.jpg

2hcg75j.jpg

ACEA A5 or above?
I always had doubts about Hyundai engineering, but this confirms my doubts.

Read the Owner's Manual:

2mcumn8.jpg

2hcg75j.jpg

From a 2016 Sonata

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Read the Owner's Manual:

2mcumn8.jpg

2hcg75j.jpg

ACEA A5 or above?

Coming from a VW owner? That's laughable considering...well, too many issues to list for that brand. Let's quit the petty insults. Many an owner's manual leave much to be desired. GM specs dexos and Ford gets by with "synthetic blends"... no issues (except for a few Malibu 1.5T), as there aren't with Hyundai turbos. I'm sure the South Korean bias will persist. Carry on. Lol

...and btw, i like VW, just don't trust them after getting burned owning quite a few.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Coming from a VW owner? That's laughable considering...well, too many issues to list for that brand....
...and btw, i like VW, just don't trust them after getting burned owning quite a few.

I know right? Don't waste your breath, he's just a troll that is facts-adverse who keeps droning the same ignorant mantra...

The only guy I've met in the last ten years that has had a catastrophic engine failure in a reasonably maintained modern car under warranty was a VW Golf GTI owner. It grenaded in a mall parking lot. He changed his own oil using Castrol SYNTEC 5W-40 and told me it was due to a known timing chain issue...

Originally Posted By: wemay
Read the Owner's Manual:

2mcumn8.jpg

2hcg75j.jpg

ACEA A5 or above?

Coming from a VW owner? That's laughable considering...well, too many issues to list for that brand. Let's quit the petty insults. Many an owner's manual leave much to be desired. GM specs dexos and Ford gets by with "synthetic blends"... no issues (except for a few Malibu 1.5T), as there aren't with Hyundai turbos. I'm sure the South Korean bias will persist. Carry on. Lol

ACEA A5 or above?
Please, do enlighten me what is ACEA A5 or above? Educate me.

Wow, thanks for all of the responses.

The manual is weak. Like everyone says, what does "A5 and above" really mean? A lower number? A higher number?

Also re: 5w30 vs. 5w40... the chart says 5w40 is ok, but then the oil cap specifically says 5w30. While my brain is telling me to use 5w40 (Castrol Edge being a good choice because of the direct injection 2.0 turbo)... my "cover your a**" part of the brain says to use the 5w30.

I'm going to go with the Pennz platinum premium and call it a day. Will do a 1,000 mile oil change, then every 3,000 or 6 months, whichever occurs first.

Thanks again everyone. I came upon to this site years and years ago when auto-rx was the rage or snake oil, depending on your view. I must have spent a solid week reading everything I could. Amazed at the free knowledge one can get from this site.

pianokeys

Originally Posted By: pianokeys

The manual is weak. Like everyone says, what does "A5 and above" really mean? A lower number? A higher number?

Also re: 5w30 vs. 5w40... the chart says 5w40 is ok, but then the oil cap specifically says 5w30. While my brain is telling me to use 5w40 (Castrol Edge being a good choice because of the direct injection 2.0 turbo)... my "cover your a**" part of the brain says to use the 5w30.

I'm going to go with the Pennz platinum premium and call it a day. Will do a 1,000 mile oil change, then every 3,000 or 6 months, whichever occurs first.

Thanks again everyone. I came upon to this site years and years ago when auto-rx was the rage or snake oil, depending on your view. I must have spent a solid week reading everything I could. Amazed at the free knowledge one can get from this site.

pianokeys

Castrol Edge 5W40 is POS of oil.
Like I said earlier, if you want more protection higher HTHS etc. get this:
Castrol Edge EP 5W30 ACEA A3/B4
Or this:
Pentosin HP II 5W30

HTHS of those oils is min 3.5, and NOACK is up to 10% because they meet MB 229.5.
They are bit more expensive then ILSAC GF-5 in Wal Mart, but then again in turbo engine, IMO, HTHS of 3.5 is always welcomed.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

http://bfy.tw/BGDc

So you have no idea. Thought so.

I'm not the one asking, dude. And I doubt you're much of a thinker...

pianokeys

A3 would be above IIRC. But pretty much irrelevant. I'd pay more attention to the Honda HTO-06 spec which almost all syn 5W-30's meet...

In Seattle you're fine with a good synthetic 5W-30, use 5W-40 if you are going to a really hot summer area...

http://bfy.tw/BGDc

So you have no idea. Thought so.

I'm not the one asking, dude. And I doubt you're much of a thinker...

Well, based on your writings I was expecting you will offer some education. But turns out you have no idea what is ACEA.

pianokeys

A3 would be above IIRC. But pretty much irrelevant. I'd pay more attention to the Honda HTO-06 spec which almost all syn 5W-30's meet...

In Seattle you're fine with a good synthetic 5W-30, use 5W-40 if you are going to a really hot summer area...

No wonder their engines constantly have issues if almost all syn oils meet HTO-06.

[ACEA A5 or above?
I've got to ask.

Is it worse than VW's 5w30 back-spec and hault of stocking 5w40 for their PD TDI cars that had failing camshafts?

[ACEA A5 or above?
I've got to ask.

Is it worse than VW's 5w30 back-spec and hault of stocking 5w40 for their PD TDI cars that had failing camshafts?

You see I had two PD TDI engine and both made more then 300k km on 5W30 oils. This was in Europe though.
But, my point is, you write manual and you put ACEA A5 or above. What I got from their manual you can put anything in that engine, including Costco olive oil and apparently non-existing oils.

My PD TDI had just shy of 300k km too and it ran great, but then I pulled the valve cover just for curiousity sake and discovered the camshaft wasn't long for this world.

My PD TDI had just shy of 300k km too and it ran great, but then I pulled the valve cover just for curiousity sake and discovered the camshaft wasn't long for this world.

Could be, I know a lot of those TDI's had that issue, but I personally heard it only on this side of pond. My brother has fleet of VW commercial cars, running 1.9TDI and 1.6tdi (CR) and no issues what so ever.
Let's not forget seizing engines in Hyundai/Kia.

Of course, none of this business is really the point. A5 or above is a silly, meaningless statement. Is A3 above it? How about A1? E7, E9? ACEA stuff doesn't work like API, where SN is considered "above" SM.

"In Seattle you're fine with a good synthetic 5W-30, use 5W-40 if you are going to a really hot summer area..."

That's pretty much the only way anyone will experience decent weather around here. Seattle gets about 3 weeks of decent summer each year then back to cloudy and rain. Some years better, some years worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back