2017 Hyundai SanteFe 2.4L SUV rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Need I say that anyone who'd pay 30K for a Hyundai is Hycrazy?

The deal I had and turned down was $2,000 down on a 36 month lease, 12K miles on a Sante Fe with an MSRP of $31,900 for $269 a month. Have you shopped for a 2017 SUV lately to see how little you can get for $31,000 in a Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc.? You can't even lease a base Ford Escape for that price.

Odd, we bought a 2017 Rav4 XLE for $30k out the door. We did trade a 2002 Camry with just under 277k miles, so anything offered on it was a gift.

But we got a pretty well equipped vehicle well under that $31k mark, taxes, tags and title included...

Let's not mix up the two types of vehicles here. One model Hyundai has is a 5 seater Santa Fe Sport (like a Ford Edge/Rav4). The "other Santa Fe" sometimes know as an "XL" is a seven passenger model. Whatever ever the model it would be much, much less than your RAV4. Not saying you didn't get a good deal-nor a good car. It just that Hyundai piles on the rebates to sell them. The Santa Fe above has a MSRP of $31,900.00 It would sell for much less than that. NormanBuntz is right- 30 large doesn't get you much in a SUV/CUV.

Last edited:

The deal I had and turned down was $2,000 down on a 36 month lease, 12K miles on a Sante Fe,,, for $269 a month. Have you shopped for a 2017 SUV lately to see how little you can get for $31,000 in a Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc.? You can't even lease a base Ford Escape for that price.

Escape's start at $24,000 and the base model, with just a couple options, can be had for just over $23K at the local no haggle dealership.

Not to belabor my point, but the cited examples of a Ford Escape and a Toyota Rav4 do not feature seating for seven people and a V-6 motor. Yes, they are decent alternatives, but in another class. From my shopping around with Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and Ford, I found the regular Santa Fe (not the Santa Fe Sport) offered the best warranty coverage, most features and best bang for the buck at a buy price of less than $30K.

My wife just didn't like the ride.

Not to belabor my point, but the cited examples of a Ford Escape and a Toyota Rav4 do not feature seating for seven people and a V-6 motor. Yes, they are decent alternatives, but in another class. From my shopping around with Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and Ford, I found the regular Santa Fe (not the Santa Fe Sport) offered the best warranty coverage, most features and best bang for the buck at a buy price of less than $30K.

But that's not what you said:

The deal I had and turned down was $2,000 down on a 36 month lease, 12K miles on a Sante Fe with an MSRP of $31,900 for $269 a month. Have you shopped for a 2017 SUV lately to see how little you can get for $31,000 in a Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc.? You can't even lease a base Ford Escape for that price.

You mentioned an Escape, which is comparable to the Rav4 I mentioned.

Now, presented with examples, you say you didn't really mean vehicles like the Escape you mentioned.

Uhhh, OK.

Now, presented with examples, you say you didn't really mean vehicles like the Escape you mentioned.

Uhhh, OK.

The bottom line-whether you like the vehicles or not-is that Hyundais are cheaper with more features than the other major auto makers. You are not going to buy a comparable equipped Toyota/Honda for the price of a Hyundai. Period.

Yes-there is always someone who got some sort of "unexplainable deal" where a Dealer (for some unknown reasons) seemingly decides on that particular day to take a major loss when selling an automobile. Yes-it happens.

Hyndai/Kia/Subarus-no love here on BITOG. But 10 year old Ford Taurus and 20 year old Crown Vics all day long.......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Yes-there is always someone who got some sort of "unexplainable deal" where a Dealer (for some unknown reasons) seemingly decides on that particular day to take a major loss when selling an automobile. Yes-it happens.
Luckily that's how I got my Hyundai

Originally Posted By: Cujet

The deal I had and turned down was $2,000 down on a 36 month lease, 12K miles on a Sante Fe,,, for $269 a month. Have you shopped for a 2017 SUV lately to see how little you can get for $31,000 in a Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc.? You can't even lease a base Ford Escape for that price.

Escape's start at $24,000 and the base model, with just a couple options, can be had for just over $23K at the local no haggle dealership.

Who wants a base model? The percentage of "base models" sold are minuscule.

Anyone who actually needs seven seats with enough room left over to carry the gear of seven people needs something more like a minivan. As an added bonus, virtually any current minivan will drive better than Cujet found this Hyundai to do.
We drove minivans when we had kids at home and a large dog and they worked really well for family travel while delivering decent fuel economy.

Also, can you even get a pano roof, cooled seats, heated steering wheel, 360 view camera, etc. on ANY toyota or honda? You can on the Santa Fe/Sorento twins.... For low to mid 30k out the door I might add.

Last edited:

Let's not mix up the two types of vehicles here. One model Hyundai has is a 5 seater Santa Fe Sport (like a Ford Edge/Rav4). The "other Santa Fe" sometimes know as an "XL" is a seven passenger model. Whatever ever the model it would be much, much less than your RAV4. Not saying you didn't get a good deal-nor a good car. It just that Hyundai piles on the rebates to sell them. The Santa Fe above has a MSRP of $31,900.00 It would sell for much less than that. NormanBuntz is right- 30 large doesn't get you much in a SUV/CUV.

Yeah i think people are mixing up with what competes with what.

Ford has the Escape, Edge, Explorer
Hyundai has the Tuscon, Sante Fe Sport, Sante Fe
Toyota has the Rav4 that sells so well it basically takes up 2 categories, Highlander

Anyone who actually needs seven seats with enough room left over to carry the gear of seven people needs something more like a minivan. As an added bonus, virtually any current minivan will drive better than Cujet found this Hyundai to do.
We drove minivans when we had kids at home and a large dog and they worked really well for family travel while delivering decent fuel economy.

Nobody even mentioned on this thread that they were cross shopping mini vans....... The only mini-van that MIGHT keep this vehicle segment alive is the Chrysler Pacifica.

The "box on wheels" is dying.

We cannot explain how the Hyundai he rented drove so poorly. We can speculate that it was a bad alignment-poor tire inflation, or some vehicle anomaly that crops up on rental cars time to time to time (like some one doing sub frame damage by hitting a curb).

Last edited:

Who wants a base model? The percentage of "base models" sold are minuscule.

OK then.
Escape Titanium - highest model line starts at $29,250 MSRP.
Equinox LT (1 down from the top) starts at $27,695 MSRP

The deal I had and turned down was $2,000 down on a 36 month lease, 12K miles on a Sante Fe,,, for $269 a month. Have you shopped for a 2017 SUV lately to see how little you can get for $31,000 in a Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc.? You can't even lease a base Ford Escape for that price. [/quote]

Escape's start at $24,000 and the base model, with just a couple options, can be had for just over $23K at the local no haggle dealership. [/quote]

Who wants a base model? The percentage of "base models" sold are minuscule.[/quote]

OK then.
Escape Titanium - highest model line starts at $29,250 MSRP.
Equinox LT (1 down from the top) starts at $27,695 MSRP [/quote]

So-now you need to compare equipment packages-and rebates. Simply quoting MSRP are useless-since no one buys any car for that.

For example-if you don't add the "LT-1" package to the Equinox-it's not a decently equipped car. I know-I rented one.

here you go-have fum-
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/santa-fe-sport/specifications.aspx

Last edited:
fdcg27 said:
We cannot explain how the Hyundai he rented drove so poorly. We can speculate that it was a bad alignment-poor tire inflation, or some vehicle anomaly that crops up on rental cars time to time to time (like some one doing sub frame damage by hitting a curb).

Tire pressure is 36 x 4. Certainly, toe out might give it a darty feel, and the alignment could be a little out, it is a rental after all. Even so, the tires don't seem to be wearing oddly. I think it's the sensitivity of the electric power steering that makes it hard to keep straight. With the slightest steering input over-reacting. The awful brakes, the terrible cornering power and the dangerous blind spot remain.

This thing is nearly new. No indications of any damage.

In addition the Hyundai Sport is compared to a Ford Edge-and not the Escape. The Escape being much smaller.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/santa-fe-sport/comparison.aspx

This whole thread has really been mixing up different classes off CUVs/SUVs.

I was not aware of that - someone else brought up the Escape so I figured the Santa Fe was still Escape sized. Forgot that Hyundai enlarged it while Ford shrunk the Escape. Someone else brought it up as being a competitor that was crazy priced. Not sure about the Equinox though - that may be in the same size category.

I'd not use that Hyundai comparison - it's a little outdated comparing 2017 and 2016 models of some vehicles.

So let's use that - 2017 Edge SEL (midline trim) $31,790 MSRP. You can argue of it's validity but it is what many use as a starting point to determine which car to buy.

Personally I like some of Hyundai's designs and they seem to be doing a lot of things right. I'd have no problems owning one.

fdcg27 said:

Tire pressure is 36 x 4. Certainly, toe out might give it a darty feel, and the alignment could be a little out, it is a rental after all. Even so, the tires don't seem to be wearing oddly. I think it's the sensitivity of the electric power steering that makes it hard to keep straight. With the slightest steering input over-reacting. The awful brakes, the terrible cornering power and the dangerous blind spot remain.

We can program the power steering for USA market, or for European market. If customers complain about to light steering, our first check is if the power steering is not accidentally set for USA.

fdcg27 said:

The driving dynamics of the Santa Fe XL (7 passenger) that I purchased doesn't have any of the issues you experienced. The electric power steering is satisfactory, it corners fine (for what it is) and the brakes are better than whats on my 2012 Sierra half-ton.

Did your rental have a rear camera and collision avoidance? Have you driven any other vehicle with electric power steering?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08
In addition the Hyundai Sport is compared to a Ford Edge-and not the Escape. The Escape being much smaller.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/santa-fe-sport/comparison.aspx

This whole thread has really been mixing up different classes off CUVs/SUVs.

I was not aware of that - someone else brought up the Escape so I figured the Santa Fe was still Escape sized. Forgot that Hyundai enlarged it while Ford shrunk the Escape. Someone else brought it up as being a competitor that was crazy priced. Not sure about the Equinox though - that may be in the same size category.

I'd not use that Hyundai comparison - it's a little outdated comparing 2017 and 2016 models of some vehicles.

So let's use that - 2017 Edge SEL (midline trim) $31,790 MSRP. You can argue of it's validity but it is what many use as a starting point to determine which car to buy.

Personally I like some of Hyundai's designs and they seem to be doing a lot of things right. I'd have no problems owning one.

Here are the prices for the Hyundai's-you can take $6,000.00 off the listed prices. Those are the rebates
Santa Fe SE $30,800
SE 3.3L 6-Speed Automatic Transmission +$0
SE 3.3L 6-Speed Automatic Transmission AWD +$1,750
Santa Fe Limited $34,950
Limited 3.3L 6-Speed Automatic Transmission +$0
Limited 3.3L 6-Speed Automatic Transmission AWD +$1,750
Santa Fe SE Ultimate $38,700
SE Ultimate 3.3L 6-Speed Automatic Transmission +$0
SE Ultimate 3.3L 6-Speed Automatic Transmission AWD +$1,750
Santa Fe Limited Ultimate $39,400
Limited Ultimate 3.3L 6-Speed Automatic Transmission +$0
Limited Ultimate 3.3L 6-Speed Automatic Transmission AWD +$1,750
Continue

Last edited:

Uhhh, OK.

The bottom line-whether you like the vehicles or not-is that Hyundais are cheaper with more features than the other major auto makers. You are not going to buy a comparable equipped Toyota/Honda for the price of a Hyundai. Period.

Hyndai/Kia/Subarus-no love here on BITOG. But 10 year old Ford Taurus and 20 year old Crown Vics all day long.......

Yes, I have a love/hate relationship with my 03 Mazda Protege5 and our 99 MGM.

But on to the Love/Hate with Kia and Hyundai.

We spent the better part of two weekends, oilBabe and I driving Rav4, Highlander, Santa Fe, Tucson, Sorrento and Sportage.

They make different cars because people like different things. oilBabe wasn't a fan of the Highlander and liked the Rav4 better. I suggested she also drive the Kia and Hyundai equivalents as well as the Escape and the CR-V.

She flat turned down the last two, but we did drive the others.

The bottom line was she liked the Rav4 the best. Probably some bias towards Toyota, and I get it. We've had good luck with them. As I said, the 2002 Camry we "traded" (dumped) had just shy of 277k miles and had only 4 repairs over that lifespan. (Had wear and maintenance like brakes, fluids, belts and hoses as well, but every car has that.)

For what it's worth, for as much as I hate our 2010 Altima, it's had ONE repair in 160k miles. The A/C compressor went out somewhere around 100k miles, so far, that makes it the reliable choice, much hated CVT and all.

Maybe hating a car makes it try harder, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back