2017 Hyundai SanteFe 2.4L SUV rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a long term Hyundai SantaFe 4 cylinder rental that is nearly brand new. The good parts: This particular model is clearly the lower end of the line, and can be found locally for about $30K. It's fairly large inside and reasonably comfortable. Cargo capacity is excellent. The 180 some-odd HP 2.4L 4 cylinder engine is, I believe, direct injection, and runs quite well. Smooth and responsive. The automatic transmission is also equally smooth and responsive, shifting rapidly, and regularly into High RPM zone when called upon. It's not slow, it just works hard to deal with rush hour traffic.

The not so good parts: As much as Hyundai tries to emulate the top manufacturers, they fall short. The overall driving dynamics need work. This thing will not remain in it's lane under certain conditions. A crosswind is an exercise in driving effort. As is a crowned lane. I am actually concerned about being pulled over for driving under the influence. Tires are Continental and the pressure is correct. It simply drives with less precision than a modern car should. And the brakes, yikes. Touchy as can be at the start of the day, spongy the rest of the time, capable and strong, while feeling "wonky" the entire time. I'd have to say that the overall driving experience on the highway, is biased strongly towards the annoying side. Cornering power is not great, actually, it's awful, and neither is the strong FWD feel and a touch of torque steer on sharp corners. The worst part is the 5 O-Clock blind spot and poor mirrors. Highway lane changes require too much effort.

Contrast that with a Ford Explorer or Escape (Yes, I understand the SanteFe is halfway between the two in size) and you'll see what I mean. The Ford products drive like a modern vehicle should. They handle great, get good MPG, have excellent brakes and so on.

Fuel economy is not great either. I'm getting about 18MPG in mixed, but largely highway, normal speed driving. Mostly because that smooth little engine is singing it's heart out when ever any power is required.

Conclusion, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
The Santa Fe's had fairly hefty rebates recently, I think they expired 5/31, but we'll see what takes their place. I know my local dealer was offering an additional discount on top of them for a total of 5-6K off of invoice.

Does that move your value needle any?

Indeed you do get what you pay for! What that is exactly, differs with every manufacture. Each MFG offers something that the others don't. In Hyundai's case, it seems to be lots of features for the money and arguably one of the best infotainment systems. However, they're getting better & better with each generation in their lineup. They're trying to dial in the ride & handling balance, quiet interiors compared to previous generations. And they need(according to the PRESS) to better dial in better steering feel.

These things you that you don't like("the not so good parts") may change with higher trim levels, AWD, V6, etc. Or, jump into the KIA version as they have somewhat different driving dynamics with one another, IDK!

Just saying!

CB

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Contrast that with a Ford Explorer or Escape (Yes, I understand the SanteFe is halfway between the two in size)

If it's half way between the two, then wouldn't it be an equivalent of Ford Edge?

Our company Hyundai Soul has touchy brakes, too. Also the transmission is too eager to shift and hurry to keep on the cruise control setting. On the slightest little upgrade or big gust of wind it downshifts and races to keep on pace. This really hurts gas mileage and to fix that you must run it up to 6th gear and then move the shift lever to the left to hold it in gear. There will be a slight dip in speed if you're watching closely every now and then but you won't have the engine racing to keep up. The difference on a trip across town is worth 2 miles per gallon.

Other than that the Soul is okay for a cheap self propelled box. Vision in all directions is great, the turning circle is small and the back seat area has plenty of room. The batter is marginal. If it gets run down the slightest amount the engine will turn over but won't start. I wonder if that's a problem with these cars, a small battery with an inadequate alternator if you're running the a/c, electronic stuff and the head lights.

I would have described my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7L, AWD pretty much the same way. It was a comfortable and very roomy vehicle, rode nice and was the best vehicle for bad winter driving conditions I ever owned, but handling, braking and MPG were another story.

Last edited:
Tires are Continental

There's the problem! My parents' escape was nearly undriveable with the factory Continental ProContact tires on it. They nearly brought it back to the dealer to check for a broke steering rack or tierod it was so bad.

My dad has a 2016 2.0t awd SantaFe sport and it drives awesome IMO. His has 17" wheels, not sure of tire brand but he has zero complaints.

I have Conti Pro Contacts on my VW Passat since it was new in 2013. The tires have 45,300 miles on them now. They are quiet, give excellent wet and dry traction, are good in snow with the front wheel drive and are wearing exceedingly well. I like them so much I intend to replace them with the same tires. In fact, they are one of the best set of tires (including Michelins) that I have run in my 53 years of driving!

Just a thought, but I've brought brand-new vehicles home to find close to 50psig in the tires as opposed to the door label's recommendation of ~32. This causes some driving/handling concerns for sure.

Awesome dealer PDI these days.

About a month ago I just purchased a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD Limited XL (the seven passenger version).

It was thousands less than anything from Toyota, Honda, Ford, or GM.

The 3.3 with the 6 speed transmission is a very smooth combination. The Kumho Crugen tires are quiet-but the tread pattern dictates they will be very poor in snow. Yes, the driving dynamics-while not quite up to the competition-it's not anything disturbing or unsafe. It's very quiet on the freeways. The brakes are outstanding. The mpg with 1,000 miles on the odometer is around 20mpg.

BTW-we could have afforded any SUV/CUV and choose the Hyundai for what you get for your money.

We traded in a 2012 Subaru Legacy Limited that had abysmal build quality.

The dealer experience was just OK.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Contrast that with a Ford Explorer or Escape (Yes, I understand the SanteFe is halfway between the two in size)

If it's half way between the two, then wouldn't it be an equivalent of Ford Edge?

YES!

My Versa with an I4 1.6L little engine and 109 hp handles really good at the highway. HOWEVER, suffers the same thing as the Santa Fe, the automatics suffer the same loss of power which my manual one does. I wonder if automatics are getting less attention and people are focusing on the CVT instead. The manual transmissions are pretty much already fully developed, albeit not as popular here in the States.

Last week I came close to buying a 2017 Santa Fe with a sticker of $31K+. Rebate was $2,000 if I recall. Dealer gave it to me for an overnight evaluation. I thought the cargo capacity, ride and driveability was OK, better than the Edge SEL. My wife disliked the ride from the passenger seat. It had the Kumho Crugen tires, and I noticed nothing unusual on a 100 mile trip. What did bother me was the poor outside mirrors and a miniature rear window with poor rear visibility.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Last week I came close to buying a 2017 Santa Fe with a sticker of $31K+. Rebate was $2,000 if I recall. Dealer gave it to me for an overnight evaluation. I thought the cargo capacity, ride and driveability was OK, better than the Edge SEL. My wife disliked the ride from the passenger seat. It had the Kumho Crugen tires, and I noticed nothing unusual on a 100 mile trip. What did bother me was the poor outside mirrors and a miniature rear window with poor rear visibility.

Don't know about your model-mine had the collision avoidance systems-as well as the rear view camera. While I didn't notice what you did-these systems certainly help. However-maybe the 5 passenger models are slightly different.

My XL Limited stickered at $38,000.00.

I guess somehow we had a different driving experience that "cujet" above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brons2
The Santa Fe's had fairly hefty rebates recently, I think they expired 5/31, but we'll see what takes their place. I know my local dealer was offering an additional discount on top of them for a total of 5-6K off of invoice.

Does that move your value needle any?

I see your point. I noticed that they were $26K "on sale" at one point. I suspect that a low enough price could enable one to purchase better wheels and tires, get a better alignment and install some stainless brake lines with performance pads.

Even so, this one is really, really annoyingly darty at speed. Especially in crosswinds. It's a chore to drive.

The bottom line is that I don't like it. Thank goodness I only have it for another week.

The 5:00 blind spot is infuriating when changing lanes on a busy highway in rush hour.

Remember, this one is the bottom of the line model. The V6 model with better wheels and tires is highly rated. I'm not surprised those things improve the experience. I've not driven the V6 one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Need I say that anyone who'd pay 30K for a Hyundai is Hycrazy?

Anybody on here who's buys a new car is crazy-aren't they? This is the website where old cars come to die-isn't it?

There are a few of us who are on this website who can (well) afford new cars BTW. As I mentioned-it was thousands less than Ford, Toyota, Honda, or GM.

It looks like all your cars are many years old-and base models-so I see your perspective.

Last edited:

The deal I had and turned down was $2,000 down on a 36 month lease, 12K miles on a Sante Fe with an MSRP of $31,900 for $269 a month. Have you shopped for a 2017 SUV lately to see how little you can get for $31,000 in a Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc.? You can't even lease a base Ford Escape for that price.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

The deal I had and turned down was $2,000 down on a 36 month lease, 12K miles on a Sante Fe with an MSRP of $31,900 for $269 a month. Have you shopped for a 2017 SUV lately to see how little you can get for $31,000 in a Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc.? You can't even lease a base Ford Escape for that price.

Odd, we bought a 2017 Rav4 XLE for $30k out the door. We did trade a 2002 Camry with just under 277k miles, so anything offered on it was a gift.

But we got a pretty well equipped vehicle well under that $31k mark, taxes, tags and title included...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back