2017 Corvette / Motul 300V 0w40 / 6.8k miles

Looked like moly, zinc & phosphorus are quite a bit higher in the Motul 300V vs. the M1.

Do you think that played a big role in the reduced Al wear numbers?

With respect to the viscosity, M1 starts at 12.9 CST, Motul starts at 13.6. In grade is in grade, but a head start by one or the other, per se, is going to show in the final results all else equal. I notice the flashpoint in the UOA is a tad higher even by just a bit with the Motul, which doesn’t take much fuel to lower viscosity by even a little bit. The fact both oils did well relative to starting in the lower 40w range, says good things about both. For sure, if staying in grade is important a 10w40 may do it.

Motul looks to be fine with respect to the OCI, TBN is strong and wear numbers are great. Not sure how Motul is not “anyway designed for 6k OCI”, the analysis shows it did well.

The higher AW content sure could be why aluminum is down on a longer OCI. As well, could be the higher numbers overall are leading to the better TBN.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving all!

With respect to the viscosity, M1 starts at 12.9 CST, Motul starts at 13.6. In grade is in grade, but a head start by one or the other, per se, is going to show in the final results all else equal. I notice the flashpoint in the UOA is a tad higher even by just a bit with the Motul, which doesn’t take much fuel to lower viscosity by even a little bit. The fact both oils did well relative to starting in the lower 40w range, says good things about both. For sure, if staying in grade is important a 10w40 may do it.

Motul looks to be fine with respect to the OCI, TBN is strong and wear numbers are great. Not sure how Motul is not “anyway designed for 6k OCI”, the analysis shows it did well.

The higher AW content sure could be why aluminum is down on a longer OCI. As well, could be the higher numbers overall are leading to the better TBN.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving all!
Too much esters. It has higher natural alkalinity. Same is with Redline too.
These oils like 300V etc. are designed to provide maximum protection in short distance. 0W40 is advertised that way, a short distance racing. That being said, I immediately said that TAN in Motul is really good considering base stocks. But I personally would not run it more than 5k, regardless of grade. But, since he is already using oil that is not approved or anything similar, I would too consider at least 5W40 if not 10W40.

Looked like moly, zinc & phosphorus are quite a bit higher in the Motul 300V vs. the M1.

Do you think that played a big role in the reduced Al wear numbers?
It has also better additive package for sure, and definitely more suitable for track.
It would be interesting to see track UOA on Mobil1 0W40 FS as FS version has ZDDP in that range Motul is showing.

Good info. What would the high natural alkalinity not show in an analysis that would be detrimental? Asking sincerely, as the analysis looks really good.

Good info. What would the high natural alkalinity not show in an analysis that would be detrimental? Asking sincerely, as the analysis looks really good.
For oil with that Ester package, TAN looks excellent, but it is getting there. Motul has oils with intended long term use, 300V is not one of them.
Now, I am not sure we have VOA of 0W40 300V to see where TAN is. This ESP also has high TAN, but then Mobil1 is known to use Esters too, though highly doubt it is anywhere close to 300V.
He is tracking vehicle a lot, and oils are going to see much higher temperatures than normal, will oxidize more, so there is no need to run them long, nor it would be prudent.

For oil with that Ester package, TAN looks excellent, but it is getting there. Motul has oils with intended long term use, 300V is not one of them.
Now, I am not sure we have VOA of 0W40 300V to see where TAN is. This ESP also has high TAN, but then Mobil1 is known to use Esters too, though highly doubt it is anywhere close to 300V.
He is tracking vehicle a lot, and oils are going to see much higher temperatures than normal, will oxidize more, so there is no need to run them long, nor it would be prudent.
Ahhhhhhh... With that said, when TAN crosses over and becomes higher than TBN isn’t that a sign change it? Like you said, M1 TAN was high as well, and was higher than TBN. Should both of the oil brands been changed earlier then? What makes 300v a bad choice, based on the numbers we see, compared to the M1? If TAN is helping us understand acidity, then ester or no ester, 300v did better compared to two of the M1 samples with respect to acidity regardless of what Motul claims or doesn’t claim for extended use. I think that makes sense?

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhh... With that said, when TAN crosses over and becomes higher than TBN isn’t that a sign change it? Like you said, M1 TAN was high as well, and was higher than TBN. Should both of the oil brands been changed earlier then? What makes 300v a bad choice, based on the numbers we see, compared to the M1? If TAN is helping us understand acidity, then ester or no ester, 300v did better compared to two of the M1 samples with respect to acidity regardless of what Motul claims or doesn’t claim for extended use. I think that makes sense?
I never said 300V is bad choice. It is right choice, it is better choice than M1. It is dedicated racing oil. But it is not designed for long OCI's, that is my point.
I personally would change it between 3-5K.

Agreed, wasn’t trying to put words in your mouth. Now I understand what your reference point is with respect to the length of an oil change with 300v. Agreed as well M1 doesn’t seem to be a longer-term oil in this application either.

Agreed, wasn’t trying to put words in your mouth. Now I understand what your reference point is with respect to the length of an oil change with 300v. Agreed as well M1 doesn’t seem to be a longer-term oil in this application either.
Now, it would be interesting to see how M1 0W40FS version does in same engine.

Back