2017 Audi A6 2.0T Premium plus AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Then stop giving advices like: use Supertech 0W20. Or, VW recommends 0W20 and 5W40. etc, etc.
Someone might actually take you seriously.

VW does recommend 0W-20 in its newer engines -- the VW 508.00 spec.

Go ahead and explain what is fundamentally wrong with using a GM dexos1 Gen 2/Gen 3 0W-20 instead of a VW 508.00 0W-20 if the engine is out of warranty. Would the engine blow up?

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Then stop giving advices like: use Supertech 0W20. Or, VW recommends 0W20 and 5W40. etc, etc.
Someone might actually take you seriously.

VW does recommend 0W-20 in its newer engines -- the VW 508.00 spec.

Go ahead and explain what is fundamentally wrong in using a GM dexos1 Gen 2/Gen 3 0W-20 instead of a VW 508.00 0W-20 if the engine is out of warranty. Would the engine blow up?

That is not what you said, and it is only one 2.0T engine.
Supertech in VW? I do not know? Do you? The whole idea behind approvals is for people not to listen advices from people like you.
However, you are obviously not familiar with oil issues around 1.8 20V longitudinal VW engines. Otherwise you would never made that statement.

Which is the OP's engine, and that's why I suggested even a GM dexos1 Gen 2/Gen 3 0W-20 could work.

Supertech in VW? I do not know? Do you? The whole idea behind approvals is for people not to listen advices from people like you.
However, you are obviously not familiar with oil issues around 1.8 20V longitudinal VW engines. Otherwise you would never made that statement.

Well, people come to BITOG for advice beyond the owner's manual. I don't know the specific oil issues in the 1.8 R4 20vT (EA113/EA827) engine (TBN, base-oil quality or viscosity, additive requirements?), but I doubt they apply to the OP's engine.

Originally Posted by BucDan
OP. Take it from another Audi owner. If you can, get Pennzoil platinum Euro 0w-40 if they have it at walmart. Then PP Euro 5w-40. Then Castrol 0w-40. Then Castrol 5w-40. If you want boutique for the American market, then Motul 8100 Xcess or Xclean or Liqui Moly leichtlauf all 3 in 5w-40.

Keep it simple.

Thank you sir, I believe our local Walmart has a few of these.

Which is the OP's engine, and that's why I suggested even a GM dexos1 Gen 2/Gen 3 0W-20 could work.

Well, people come to BITOG for advice beyond the owner's manual. I don't know the specific oil issues in the 1.8 R4 20vT (EA113/EA827) engine (TBN, base-oil quality or viscosity, additive requirements?), but I doubt they apply to the OP's engine.

Of course you do not. Otherwise you would not give such "advice."

Originally Posted by OtisBlkR1
OP. Take it from another Audi owner. If you can, get Pennzoil platinum Euro 0w-40 if they have it at walmart. Then PP Euro 5w-40. Then Castrol 0w-40. Then Castrol 5w-40. If you want boutique for the American market, then Motul 8100 Xcess or Xclean or Liqui Moly leichtlauf all 3 in 5w-40.

Keep it simple.

Castrol 0W40 would be my preference before any of these oils. PP Euro is hard to find at decent price and it is not anything special. For PP Euro you have to look at it at Auto Zone or AAP on sale. I use it in BMW and it is smooth, but it seems consumption is substantially higher than BMW TPT 5W30 I had before.

Keep it simple.

Castrol 0W40 would be my preference before any of these oils. PP Euro is hard to find at decent price and it is not anything special. For PP Euro you have to look at it at Auto Zone or AAP on sale. I use it in BMW and it is smooth, but it seems consumption is substantially higher than BMW TPT 5W30 I had before.

Sucks to hear about the oil consumption. The only worry I hear about Castrol nowadays is that it leaves behind varnish in the block. I doubt it really affects anything, but that has been the main complaint of it. Heck it could be a good thing if it leaves on a hard protective coating; wood furniture is coated to protect it, so why not an engine block? I've stayed away from Mobil 1 Euro for my car. I've been tempted to move away from Motul for a more readily available oil, one that keeps the engine smooth and quiet, but so far, Motul has treated me well. Hard to break a habit. I was on Castrol OE Pro, but I've switched to Motul after hearing good things about it. I've only ever considered PP Euro as a replacement for me.

Audi purchased.. let the fun begin !

i hope you enjoy it! Read through the manual. Audis are very techy.

Last edited:

Keep it simple.

Sucks to hear about the oil consumption. The only worry I hear about Castrol nowadays is that it leaves behind varnish in the block. I doubt it really affects anything, but that has been the main complaint of it. Heck it could be a good thing if it leaves on a hard protective coating; wood furniture is coated to protect it, so why not an engine block? I've stayed away from Mobil 1 Euro for my car. I've been tempted to move away from Motul for a more readily available oil, one that keeps the engine smooth and quiet, but so far, Motul has treated me well. Hard to break a habit. I was on Castrol OE Pro, but I've switched to Motul after hearing good things about it. I've only ever considered PP Euro as a replacement for me.

i hope you enjoy it! Read through the manual. Audis are very techy.

I have never heard of that varnish thing. Castrol 0W40 is approved against all Euro approvals except LL01 (it seems new update of LL01 eliminated bunch of 0W oils, if not all).
Will see about PP Euro. One problem with BMW N52 engine is electronic oil level measurement, so it could be that I did not put to max but just on border between max and 3/4 full. After 1000 miles it drops to 3/4 full. Reason is that I mixed some leftover TPT. So, will see over 5 k how much it uses.

You sure make a lot of decisions on what you've heard rather than on objective fact.

Originally Posted by kschachn

You sure make a lot of decisions on what you've heard rather than on objective fact.

It's why forums like this exist, so others can share their experiences. You learn from others to avoid making the same mistake or a bad decision; granted, this is motor oil, but the same idea applies. It's better to hear from end users than from the marketing team of the oil company.

Originally Posted by kschachn

It's why forums like this exist, so others can share their experiences. You learn from others to avoid making the same mistake or a bad decision; granted, this is motor oil, but the same idea applies. It's better to hear from end users than from the marketing team of the oil company.

I have never, never heard of varnish in Euro oil selection.

The only worry I hear about Castrol nowadays is that it leaves behind varnish in the block. I doubt it really affects anything, but that has been the main complaint of it.

This is Shannow's take on PAO and varnish. He says PAO-based oils may promote varnish because of the poor solvency of PAO.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4981274/re-all-about-varnish#Post4981274

Unlike the M1 FS 0W-40 A3/B4, which also still contains some PAO, the Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4 does not contain any POE to help with the solvency. Therefore, the reports of the Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4 promoting varnish circulating on car forums seem to be true. Go with the M1 FS 0W-40 A3/B4 if you need a full-SAPS oil and a cleaner engine, as the POE helps a lot with the engine cleaning.

The only worry I hear about Castrol nowadays is that it leaves behind varnish in the block. I doubt it really affects anything, but that has been the main complaint of it.

This is Shannow's take on PAO and varnish. He says PAO-based oils may promote varnish because of the poor solvency of PAO.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4981274/re-all-about-varnish#Post4981274

Unlike the M1 FS 0W-40 A3/B4, which also still contains some PAO, the Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4 does not contain any POE to help with the solvency. Therefore, the reports of the Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4 promoting varnish circulating on car forums seem to be true. Go with the M1 FS 0W-40 A3/B4 if you need a full-SAPS oil and a cleaner engine, as the POE helps a lot with the engine cleaning.

Have you ever seen VW, BMW, Mercedes engine inside that used Castrol, any Castrol?

Congrats on a fantastic vehicle purchase.

Kind of along the lines of what Gokhan is saying, my neighbor, Mark, owns a 2013 or '14 Merc CLA. He uses straight Mobil1 5w30 once a year. I wouldn't do it but I can't argue with him about it since it's worked for him to the tune of 120k miles. The only car he really cares about is his 1968 Firebird which gets Driven motor oil. Go figure.

In a nutshell 502 is 502. With Euro cars approval > weight which confuses a lot of folks. Don't get hung up on 0W this and 5W that - you just want an oil that has the VW502 00 approval (or whichever you car requies - should be 502 or 504). Lots to choose from. Walmart oils - M1/Castrol 0W40 are just fine. There are oil change kits using Liquimoly products available online from Euro parts retailers that are about $60 delievered including filter and drain plug which is a easy way to do it.

Thanks for the read. I'm not a Mobil 1 guy, just a preference.

Have you ever seen VW, BMW, Mercedes engine inside that used Castrol, any Castrol?

I know I haven't, that's why I listen to others that may have and of course, take it with some salt for the food for thought. Can't exactly write off someone's experiences, but it's ok to call BS on it as well.

I know I haven't, that's why I listen to others that may have and of course, take it with some salt for the food for thought. Can't exactly write off someone's experiences, but it's ok to call BS on it as well.

If that's all you want then I've seen it a lot. My old BMW has had Castrol 0W-40 nearly exclusively its whole life, some OCIs of Mobil 1 a while back but generally Castrol. I've posted pictures of the valve train here when I changed out the cover gaskets, and it looks spotless. Same for the view down the fill hole, there is no visible varnish or anything. The chains look like shiny metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back