2017 6.7L Duramax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find much information on this new engine design slated to replace the 6.6L for 2017 GMC and Chevrolet trucks.
Some say the DEF will be gone. (Yea!)

My guess is that it will have a larger sump and be 5W30 Dexos II for improved fuel economy.

I've been watching the inventory of a Canadian auto group in both GMC and Chev 2500&3500s.
All the good 6.0L gasoline High Countries, LTXs, Denali and SLTs are gone out of several hundred a few months ago.
Left are mostly the plain Jane work trucks in the 6.0L.

The Duramax are an $11,000 option with the Allison, plus tax which raises the monthly payment over 84 months about $146.00 plus DEF.

People can do the math on how much they drive and the cost per mile.

This minute, I'm paying 20% less for Diesel than for gasoline at the Esso commercial card lock, which on a good month I might break even saving $150.00 in fuel using Diesel.

For the last few years, Diesel fuel was equal or higher than regular 87 gasoline and that could happen again depending on demand and refining capacity.

I'm trading up, and for the same price as a work truck Duramax I can get a leather LTX or SLT gasoline model, if there are any left by the time I get off the couch.

The 2 6.6s I've owned have been good engines, the 1st an 06 LBZ this one an 11 LML I think.

Yesterday I just had the latest engine programing done plus two free sensors at 86,000 km.

I wish I could wait another year for the 6.7, but if GM could meet me half way on another 6.6.....Black, 167.7 "WB.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
My guess is that it will have a larger sump and be 5W30 Dexos II for improved fuel economy.

Just about every Japanese diesel, including Toyota's V-8 spec 5W30 these days.

DEF will not be gone. That is an EPA thing to reduce NOx and it is here to stay. Only thing that would change that is if they went to a the cartridge system that uses a block of urea in a substrate to do what the Urea in DEF does in breaking down the NOx. The aftermarket stuff is not going away.

. I would say "about time" on the 30w oil recommendation by the OEM. All the heavy diesel OEM's are factory filling with 10w30 now in their entire motor lineups, and have been for a while. Cummins, Mack, Volvo, Navistar, Paccar. Not sure why GM has stayed on the 40w oil game so long. If 15L diesels that are yanking around 40 tons of truck and freight, from the Rio Grande to the Arctic Circle and California to Maine can do it with a 30w oil in the sump, seems strange that GM hasn't put their little diesel on a 30w oil.

Someone is going to have to explain to me the connection implied above of engine size and GVW to engine oil viscosity.

Do large engines in heavy vehicles need thicker oil than small engines in light weight vehicles?

Is there a chart we can go to that would simplify engine oil viscosity selection to vehicle weight and engine size?

36.gif

Someone is going to have to explain to me the connection implied above of engine size and GVW to engine oil viscosity.

Do large engines in heavy vehicles need thicker oil than small engines in light weight vehicles?

Is there a chart we can go to that would simplify engine oil viscosity selection to vehicle weight and engine size?

Engine size has very little to do with OEM recommended oil weights. There are some monster engines that are using a 10w oil! Oil quality, along with tighter engine design, and a little bit of fuel economy in mind is the motivation for heavy diesel OEM's to go with lower weight oils as they are now. GM, for some reason, wants to still play in the 40w recommendation game for their Dmax. There is no "chart" that will equate engine oil weight to displacement of engine. It is purely a OEM recommend type of thing. It just takes some time for some to get off the "thicker is better" type of mindset. That its why Lucas Oil Stabilizer still sells so well.

I just stated what the heavy diesel OEM's are doing. They have far more expertise at serious working diesel design than the pickup OEM's. After all, they typically make engines with B20 lives of over 1 million miles, which means only 20% of engines will need a rebuild before 1 million miles. And those engines are not being used as grocery getters in pickups. They are doing serious work, on an average 120,000 miles a year, and pulling trailers with loads 90% of the time, and doing it nationwide.... mountains, plains, southwest deserts, snowstorms. 30w oils are performing admirably in that application. Just seems strange that a little Dmax in a pickup that rarely is ever even doing work up to the level it is rated at seems to need some perceived benefit of a 40w oil. Older engines from days gone by are one thing, modern engines needing thicker oils, hardly. Of course, I realize that some very high performance racing engines use something different, but that is not your normal production auto/pickup engine.

The little 6.6L Duramax is rated at 397HP. I would rather have the engine oil thicker than necessary 100% of the time than too thin once.

My 2011 has a higher HP rating than my daughter's 06 LBZ that had an XW30 engine oil option depending on ambient.

I noticed right away with the 2011, the oil pressure was higher across the board using 15W40 of the same brand and lot.
Maybe the added horsepower required an oiling modification, possibly a larger oil pump with a higher relief setting.

I can tell you that I never "let all of those horses out of the barn" as one member put it, but they are there nevertheless.

The engine IS rated at 397 HP. Mine may be 380 and the next one 415 depending on a thousand variables.

The next one after mine might be pulling a 6 horse trailer up a 10% grade on a hot day for 15 miles.(Hope B.C. to the Coquhalla summit).

The owner of that truck knows that 10W30 is OK to use in his Duramax, because he read it on the internet...

At the bottom of the hill, the oil pressure at 3,200 RPM is 70 PSI. A few minutes into the climb 45 PSI, and half way up the hill with 7 miles to go the oil pressure stabilized at 25 PSI.

With a mile to go and the driver's foot still on the floor loving the 400hp show, the engine squeaks to a sudden stop, seized solid as a rock and warranty ain't paying.

Equally bad, is being stranded in the middle of nowhere with 4 screaming kids and 6 horses cooking in the trailer.

On engine tear down, the rod, main and cam bearings all in perfect shape, but the pistons are trashed.

Why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Given that tiredtrucker's 10W30 is clearly not an ILSAC 30 (HTHS ~ 2.9-3.0), and is, in fact the HTHS that a dino SAE 30 generally has in the wild, I think the "thicker is better", and "lucas" comments are just strawmen fired out there for beating down.

Industry standard was SAE30 (HTHS 3.5), and in order to accept multigrades, they accepted 15W40s on actual service performance, discovered high shear viscometry, then started specifying HTHS in J300....as a minimum standard.

(Has had people calling 20s really 30s, 30s, really 40s etc. when they are clearly what the grade was intended).

So diesel engine manufacturers specifying 10W30 - with an HTHS of 3.5 - is not an abandonment of "thick is better", it's an acceptance that lubricant technology has grown to the point that multigrades can now deliver HTHS commensurate with what their grade promises.

If we'd skipped the middle years of underperforming multigrades, we would have been at SAE30 with better cold performance I'm sure (no need for lucas references).

What's interesting with the focus on the J300 viscosity grades is that a simplistic approach could lead one to install an ILSAC 5W30/10W30 into one of these engines.

HTHS of 3 versus 3.5 is significant in terms of engine wear and minimum film thicknesses (that's why it's part of the DD specs, ACEA specs etc.)

But also, in terms of the other parameters in lubricating an engine...topical in a couple of other threads, but piston cooling is one of them....also hinted at in a couple of Honda papers where they express concern that lowering viscosity, losing control of those items that rely on pressure to function.

member CATERHAM has some really good relationships between oil pressure and HTHS...

Quote:
All oil pressure readings were made at 6,500 rpm and oil temp' of 95C:
M1 5W-50 ..... KV100 17.5 cSt...HTHS 4.21 cP...OP 92 ...psi
M1 0W-40 ..... KV100 14.0 cSt...HTHS 3.7 .cP...OP 86 ...psi
RL 10W-30 .... KV100 11.0 cSt...HTHS 3.8 .cP...OP 87 ...psi
RL 5W-30 ..... KV100 10.6 cSt...HTHS 3.8 .cP...OP 87 ...psi
GC 0W-30 ..... KV100 12.2 cSt...HTHS 3.5 .cP...OP 83-84 psi
RL 5W-20 ..... KV100 9.1 cSt...HTHS 3.3 .cP...OP 80 ...psi
M1 5W-30 ..... KV100 11.3 cSt...HTHS 3.09 cP...OP 78 ...psi
PP 5W-30 ..... KV100 10.3 cSt...HTHS 3.1 .cP...OP 78 ...psi
RL blend, 3qts 5W-20 and 1qt 0W-10 race oil *
...............KV100 8.2cSt est HTHS 2.85 cP...OP 74 ...psi
Toyota (Nippon Oil) 0W-20 virgin, less than 30 miles on oil
...............KV100 8.8 cSt...HTHS 2.6 .cP...OP 71 ...psi
Toyota 0W-20 used with 150 miles on oil **
...........est KV100 8.0cSt est HTHS 2.4 .cP...OP 65 ...psi

It's his engine and operating conditions.

But consider say the Redline 10W30/5W30 with an HTHS of 3.8 and an oil pressure of 87 psi, versus the M1 and PP with an HTHS of 3.1, and an oil pressure of 78psi.

All within the realms of an HDMO versus ILSAC discussion.

In straight piston cooling flow, the flow through a typical squirter the ILSAC 30 will have a 5% lower piston cooling flow at CATERHAM's 95C...for the same J300 kinematic viscosity (XW-30), the lower oil pressure has translated into poorer piston cooling by the tune of 5%.

If there's a ball relief valve in the line to each squirter, it's worse. Throw in a 10psi relief, and it's 77 versus 68psi, or 6% worse piston cooling.

But Used_Oil suggests, a prolonged loaded climb, on a production small(ish) diesel that doesn't have the thermal capacity for it, it's a (possible) death spiral starting off thinner.

If you are on the viscosity controlled,rather than relief valve controlled portion of the pump flow curve, piston cooling in particular drops off with the (square root) of pressure.

Here's one of those 3.0L pistons with what's a fairly serious thrust side issue.

IMG_20151019_225944.jpg

Looking through the missing piece of ring land, you can see the hole that runs from the undercrown, and is supposed to gather the cooling oil, and run it through an internal gallery to cool the crown/ring belt.

Something happened, it go hot and the alloy came apart.

Engine specs 5W30, doesn't mention an ACEA or HTHS.

Who's the dinosaur now?

Lets do another mock-up using a gasoline engine instead.

Instead of another Diesel, I spring for a 1500 154" CC/RB with the 6.2 and 8 speed.
I'm running 92 octane so I have the full 420 HP on tap, and the free 0W20 engine oil.

Roadside assistance will tow free to the closest dealership, which in this case is Hope B.C.

I offer to drive to Hope, transfer the luggage, take the family and pull the horse trailer to Kelowna.

I have a 5th wheel installed at their expense, I'm maxed out... GVW and towing.

This isn't what I had in mind when I bought the truck, but here goes anyway.
Up the same hill with the same load and approximate horsepower.

I keep my foot in it all the way to the top of the big hill, a few more hard pulls and one very long decent and there is the blue water of the Okanagan.

How could the Diesel engine fail on XW30 and the gasoline engine complete the trip using syn-blend 0W20?

The answer is in the owner's manual under engine oil recommendations.

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke
I've been looking for GM to do something. They've been getting crushed in the heavy duty truck sales by Ford and Ram.

When I look at all of the locally operated ambulances, I see nothing but Duramax engines under the hood. This used to be a Ford dominated market. Any Fords that are left in the fleet have been assigned to back-up status only.

Nothing to do with the Powerjoke 6.blow and the 6.4 engines, right? Surely not.

Or all those YouTube vids of burning Fords (including an ambulance) and frame twisting comparisons to Ram and GMC/Chev.

GM has been pretty tight lipped on details about the new Duramax. My understanding is spyshots have shown the DEF tank but that could just be to mislead competitors.

Some of the large engines being developed by Cat (who now owns EMD) and MTU are meeting emission targets without exhaust after treatment.

I had zero issues with my DEF equipped Dmax until a few months ago when the poor quality message came on, DEF consumption tripled and I was speed restricted to 55 mph for 2 hours until it cleared up on its own.

A small dealership performed a free regen that lasted 6,000 miles and the message re-appeared.

The service writer at the BIG dealership said the computer likes my VIN#, but there is 4 bulletins and your engine programming is 2012.

The reason being, I do my own maintenance and the truck never sees a shop.

There is a learning curve owning a DEF vehicle, the trick is not keeping it topped up all the time unless going on a very long trip.

One cut in sales person said he lets the DEF run down until the LOW DEF message comes on, then adds one 10 liter jug. That way the DEF stays fresher.
"Less pro-active is better".

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: Powerstroke
I've been looking for GM to do something. They've been getting crushed in the heavy duty truck sales by Ford and Ram.

When I look at all of the locally operated ambulances, I see nothing but Duramax engines under the hood. This used to be a Ford dominated market. Any Fords that are left in the fleet have been assigned to back-up status only.

Nothing to do with the Powerjoke 6.blow and the 6.4 engines, right? Surely not.

Here too, "Med-Star" has used Chevy Express Cab & Chassis since at least '05, When I worked at the local Chevy dealer there was hardly any warranty work on the LLY/LBZ/LMM Duramax 6.6.

The 4L80E was a whole different story, The Duramax though de-rated to 450 ft lbs in Express vans burned them up frequently....Namely the Direct Clutch, I "Dual Feed" the Directs on every 4L80E I built....Even though this is an unauthorized modification in GM's eyes, It fixed the issue! They recently switched to the 6L90E that are holding up well.

The Allison 1000 used in the pick-ups, If the engine is kept stock....Will out live the truck!

GM should leave the Duramax alone! It was the first Diesel they got right since the Detroit Series 60...If you don't count the Injector issues in the first few years of the Dmax (LB7) but most of that debacle can be placed on Bosch.

The horsepower & torque war between the Big-3 is ridiculous IMHO. Who needs 800 ft lbs in a 1 ton truck?

The little 6.6L Duramax is rated at 397HP. I would rather have the engine oil thicker than necessary 100% of the time than too thin once.

My 2011 has a higher HP rating than my daughter's 06 LBZ that had an XW30 engine oil option depending on ambient.

I noticed right away with the 2011, the oil pressure was higher across the board using 15W40 of the same brand and lot.
Maybe the added horsepower required an oiling modification, possibly a larger oil pump with a higher relief setting.

I can tell you that I never "let all of those horses out of the barn" as one member put it, but they are there nevertheless.

The engine IS rated at 397 HP. Mine may be 380 and the next one 415 depending on a thousand variables.

The next one after mine might be pulling a 6 horse trailer up a 10% grade on a hot day for 15 miles.(Hope B.C. to the Coquhalla summit).

The owner of that truck knows that 10W30 is OK to use in his Duramax, because he read it on the internet...

At the bottom of the hill, the oil pressure at 3,200 RPM is 70 PSI. A few minutes into the climb 45 PSI, and half way up the hill with 7 miles to go the oil pressure stabilized at 25 PSI.

With a mile to go and the driver's foot still on the floor loving the 400hp show, the engine squeaks to a sudden stop, seized solid as a rock and warranty ain't paying.

Equally bad, is being stranded in the middle of nowhere with 4 screaming kids and 6 horses cooking in the trailer.

On engine tear down, the rod, main and cam bearings all in perfect shape, but the pistons are trashed.

Why?

Speculate much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back