2017 6.7 Powerstroke UOA

You sure that’s not mostly from oxidative thickening?
Possibly, however the schaeffers 132 moly ep is like molasses. Only thing I’m curious about is why the uptick in soot? My last 2 runs were 425 hours. First was finished at 10000 miles. Second run was 425 hours, 12,500 miles.

Any thoughts on the new report soot level? Seems a bit high based on my last soot level with similar usage. Just glad the report arrived in my inbox. It was presumably misplaced in the mail for months.

Have you had the EGR system worked on before? Do you use fuel additives?

No egr work done to the vehicle and I run some antigel if it gets down in the low teens.

I suggest using a cetane booster/fuel conditioner to see if it makes a difference in soot. I use optilube XDP on every fill up and also hot shots LX4 lubricity additive

Fe still seems high to me; not atrocious, but not "normal".
Honestly I believe the high iron is because I have been running it out to 425 hours. Driving is mixed. I do about 1/2 city and half highway. And trying to establish a baseline. I am thinking the normal is more along the lines of 300-350 hours. I agree the iron is higher than typical for my mileage. I am about to do another uoa with 425 hours. That will be a determining factor whether I should change my approach and stick to the oil life monitor recommendations.

Do you see anything indicating that I am running the oil past it’s useful life?

Honestly I believe the high iron is because I have been running it out to 425 hours. Driving is mixed. I do about 1/2 city and half highway. And trying to establish a baseline. I am thinking the normal is more along the lines of 300-350 hours. I agree the iron is higher than typical for my mileage. I am about to do another uoa with 425 hours. That will be a determining factor whether I should change my approach and stick to the oil life monitor recommendations.

Do you see anything indicating that I am running the oil past it’s useful life?

I personally don't think so, the TBN is still >3... It is still pretty early to tell how you will end up. My Cummins shed Fe for a long time until it stabilized. Somewhere around 30k miles.

just my $0.02

New UOA just in. 425 Hours on oil sample. 12550 Miles. Not too confident in the TBN on this. Seems high for 425 hours on T6 5w40 based on the last uoa being the same hours, but I could be wrong. Makes me question the accuracy of some other numbers on this report. The viscosity appears to be climbing. I have not had to add oil between oil changes. Oil consumption is not noticeable to me and I check the level somewhat frequently. I think Matt may be right and there is oxidative thickening going on. At the very minimum wear is not getting worse, but could be better. Please let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• file.jpeg
    file.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 24
reposting since my attachment was blurry.
1638918959081.jpg

Last edited:
Your engine should be broken in for this entire OCI. Fe seems high. Higher than the UOA for my PSD and I had almost 21K miles for this latest OCI. I do have a bypass filter setup with an Amsoil bypass filter.

You used Rotella T6 and I was using some Delo XE CJ-4. Both 5W40. I am out of the Delo XE CJ-4. So my current oil fill is Rotella T6. The Delo XE 5W40 CK-4 does not meet the Ford PSD spec and is not on the approved list.

But I have some fuel dilution. More than I would like to see.

Your engine should be broken in for this entire OCI. Fe seems high. Higher than the UOA for my PSD and I had almost 21K miles for this latest OCI. I do have a bypass filter setup with an Amsoil bypass filter.

You used Rotella T6 and I was using some Delo XE CJ-4. Both 5W40. I am out of the Delo XE CJ-4. So my current oil fill is Rotella T6. The Delo XE 5W40 CK-4 does not meet the Ford PSD spec and is not on the approved list.

But I have some fuel dilution. More than I would like to see.
I think I am going to drop back to around 300 hours. Which will take me to 10000 miles based on my current driving habits. That will most likely when the oil life monitor triggers.

I’ll be watching for your uoa of t6. Curious to see how you make out with it.

Back