2016 Yamaha XSR900 3,000mi review

Status
Not open for further replies.
My XSR900 has rolled over 3k miles this week and I just wanted to give a review of the bike thus far. I decided on this bike over getting a supersport bike a couple months ago and I'm glad I did.

Engine:

As expected the triple that is shared with the MT/FZ/FZ09 is nothing short of fabulous. Coming from riding inline 4 cylinder bikes in the past the triple is a completely different animal. Torque is available almost instantly. It will pull from 2k RPM in any gear and starts pulling like a freight train after 4K RPM. It pulls hard all the way up to redline. I have accidentally hit the rev limit accelarating a couple times in 2nd gear. The engine spins up incredibly fast, and feels robust. it has the perfect "street" powerband. It is just as happy cruising easily as it is doing 2nd gear power wheelies. It's not liter bike fast, but it is pretty serious from 0-80mph.

Suspension:

The suspension on the XSR is a huge improvement over the FZ09, it is quite a bit stiffer and handles corners much better. Thanks to info from member Zeeosix I have been able to get the suspension setup better for my weight.

Electronics

The 3 level traction control system works great. Setting 2 which is the most intrusive is great for carving up curves on imperfect pavement and riding in the rain. Level 1 is my go to setting. It lets you power wheelie, and be more aggressive while still providing a safety net. I ride in this setting most of the time.

Generally I ride in std mode. The fueling is imo perfect in STD mode. It has enough punch to keep things interesting and fun, but it isn't twitchy. A mode is too sensitive going on and off the throttle. The engine spins up super fast and the bike is really a handful in the first 2 gears. A mode is basically the I'm ok with power wheelies in gears 1-3. It is fun, but it can be a little exhausting. B mode is good in the rain and it is nice for cruising down the highway. My only complaint with B mode is it requires more revs to leave a stop light as it limits the power input in the low to mid range.

The ABS system works very well. I had to make a fast stop in wet weather yesterday and the ABS definitely allowed me to apply near full braking power and stop very quickly. The brakes are typical Yamaha in the sense that they are kind of soft at first. You have to make an effort to pull/push the levers to get some serious breaking power. I'm sure a lot of the braking feel is dampened by the ABS system.

Comfort

The bike is incredibly comfortable for being a naked bike. The seat is starting to soften up some and I can ride 2-3 hours before my butt needs a break. The wind is really not that bad as long as you keep it below about 80mpg. I love the riding position and the agile handling.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the bike after 3k miles. I'm hoping to put another couple thousand miles on it this season before the snow flies.

I've only got a little over 500 miles on my XSR so far, but pretty much agree with everything you've experienced with your bike. I really like the exhaust note of the cross plane 3-cylinder, and it does have a very flat torque curve, which means a very linear HP curve.

Once I got the suspension dialed in for my weight it made a huge difference on improving the ride comfort on rough roads, and it didn't sacrifice any corner handling at all. I found the damping was set to hard from the factory too. In fact, on bumpy rough corners it handles better now because the wheels stay more planted on the ground.

Yamaha has a solid "win" with that engine. I have to wonder why it was not done 20 years ago. Yes, Triumph did triples forever. But they fall short of the Yamaha effort. A 900 Triumph is a fun bike with great throttle response. But it falls short in high RPM power.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Yamaha has a solid "win" with that engine. I have to wonder why it was not done 20 years ago. Yes, Triumph did triples forever. But they fall short of the Yamaha effort. A 900 Triumph is a fun bike with great throttle response. But it falls short in high RPM power.

Yamaha actually did it around 38 or so years ago with the XS750 and then the XS850. The new 3-cylinder 900 (actually 847cc) is an highly improved design, but same basic concept as the old XS.

There are only a couple of minor things I don't like about the XSR.

The instrument pod back lighting is way too bright at night, even when the brightness level is set to the lowest setting. Plus it's not easy to change the brightness, you really can't do it on the fly.

The other thing is the transmission clunks pretty loudly when putting the bike in 1st gear from neutral... seems more of a clunk than past bikes I've owned. Guess the main transmission shaft still rotates pretty fast even with the clutch disengaged due to viscous oil drag of the clutch plates. I've got the clutch lever adjusted right, so it's not that. It probably won't hurt anything in the transmission, but you can feel it clunk pretty good, and I've learned to put it in first gear quickly, otherwise you'll hear and feel the gear cogs chewing on each other if 1st gear is slowly engaged from neutral.

The suspension was too setup stiff from the factory for a 200 lbs rider, and the headlight was adjusted way too low for low beam riding at night. But those things were easily adjusted to be much better.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
There are only a couple of minor things I don't like about the XSR.

The instrument pod back lighting is way too bright at night, even when the brightness level is set to the lowest setting. Plus it's not easy to change the brightness, you really can't do it on the fly.

The other thing is the transmission clunks pretty loudly when putting the bike in 1st gear from neutral... seems more of a clunk than past bikes I've owned. Guess the main transmission shaft still rotates pretty fast even with the clutch disengaged due to viscous oil drag of the clutch plates. I've got the clutch lever adjusted right, so it's not that. It probably won't hurt anything in the transmission, but you can feel it clunk pretty good, and I've learned to put it in first gear quickly, otherwise you'll hear and feel the gear cogs chewing on each other if 1st gear is slowly engaged from neutral.

The suspension was too setup stiff from the factory for a 200 lbs rider, and the headlight was adjusted way too low for low beam riding at night. But those things were easily adjusted to be much better.

I agree the cluster is quite bright at night. How did you adjust the backlights?

Also the first gear clunk is a trait of a Yamaha. Every Yamaha I've riden
and owned has always clunked into first gear.

Last edited:
^^^ The Owner's Manual page 4-10 shows how to adjust the instrument cluster back light.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Donny, whatever became of your friend's FZ09 after he crashed it?

He still has it, it runs and rides it just needs some mirrors and the radiator is bent but not leaking. He doesn't want to fix it. He plans to sell it as is for like $3500 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back