2016 Tiguan burning oil

If your wife noticed the smoke, then that's a clear giveaway.
Try standing behind the car while wife revs the engine in "Park".
Or (if you have a second vehicle) drive behind her while she makes a hard acceleration run, like on a highway on-ramp.
Little black smoke is fine, that's just fuel and direct injection. But blue smoke and burning oil smell is what may point to the cooked turbo seals.
I don't think it's piston rings or valve guides, but there is that 0.1% chance...
Thank you !!! I do that!!!

That's just a guide to point you in the right direction. It is NOT a definitive troubleshooting method, as I am not a psychic and can't see your exact issues from far away lol. So always double check with a trusted mechanic.
Copy that, but at least I’ve got some direction to look into. Thanks

I would take one of the intake pipes off after the turbo and see if it's got a lot of oil in it. A film of oil is normal, from the pcv, but if there's lots of oil in the intake your turbo might be done for.

Hi. I recently bought a 2 liter TSI Tiguan and figured out a few things:
1. Mine had very fine mist on the tailgate above the exhaust - it rubs off easily and you would think it's fuel but it is actually oil that got very fine once it went through the turbo.
2. A line of engine oil was visible on the inside of the air intake above the turbo - proof that the oil is suck past the PCV.
3. Replaced the PCV but still had oil disappearing
4. Heaps of oil in the charge pipes and intercooler radiator
5. Bad fuel consumption due to soggy plugs and clogged fuel injectors
6. Turbo oil drain pipe was clear and could drain oil
7. Turbo is within acceptable wear
8. The VW PCV has 2 pipes - one to just before the turbo, the other links to the inlet manifold - BUT - it sits in between the throttle body and pistons and has HUGE suction.
9. All the big suction on the PCV causes the oil to get sucked straight out the engine (my take on it).

Solution:
Fit a catch can and aftermarket PCV called an Africa plate- block off the old PCV at the turbo and the inlet (I used rubber bungs that looks like chair feet). Connect the catch can to the PCV plate and on the other end of the catch can I put a cheap fuel filter to catch any oil breathing and plumbed it to the air intake with a smaller tube to ensure I don't have bad gasses going into the air, and with just enough suction to move vapours.

The misting on the tailgate is gone and the fuel consumption is what it should be. I had the engine out to do other work and cleaned the inlet manifold and ports. Changed plugs etc. You could use a couple cans of GDI cleaner to get yours clean. READ the can and change the oil afterwards.

My car has high mileage and still drops oil in the catch can. I recently did an engine flush with Liqui Moly, changed oil & filter and added Liqui Moly engine resealer to try lessen the oil vapours. I will measure the amount of oil in the catch can after 900km and know of the Liqui Moly works.

Good luck with yours.

Our 12 started using oil, then using quite a bit of oil around 110k. Eventually had it into the dealer and they said turbo, more specifically wastegate. They wanted to replace the whole thing but when I balked said they could do the waste gate as a band aid. Not sure how accurate that was as I didn't end up having any of it done.

Last edited:
I have a 2016 Tiguan Rline that’s going through a quart or two oil every two weeks.

Oil use isn't measured in weeks but the amount of oil per 1000 miles. Nothing else, never.

COMPLETE details! Such as miles per year, repairs etc. including the following:

Gonna need a lot more details. Mileage, oil details and interval length, engine history, owned since new or bought used, puff of smoke after being started up after sitting or not. When it started burning and how how quickly or slowly it progressed. How much you drive in these 2 weeks and the manner you drive them like mostly stop and go for 20 mins a day or you drive an hour or more a day and on the highway fast. all that.

Did you check for leaks?

It started after a trip to Mission Bay Volkswagen in 2023. Two weeks after an oil change the low oil light came on. I’m at 88k on mileage and I travel 347 miles every two weeks and it’s a toll road so I’m usually driving at 65-70 mph.

Read your own words repeatedly please. You might get what's missing.
You long for help? Then let the forum members you help you.

The dealer today told me it’s a problem with the 2 liters.

2016 Tiguan US spec > Tiguan Mk1 > EA888 gen1 I guess.
Actually with the same dreadful piston rings as a 2011? Not
certain, but hard to believe . . . . :unsure:

Back