2016 Ford Taurus 3.5L Duratec - 7.5K miles - PPHM 0w-20

New to me Taurus. Ran Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 0w-20 because I had 6 qts of it left. I bought it for a different vehicle I don't do service on anymore. It had been sitting on my shelf for over a year so I figured I'd use it.

March 2021 BITOG Edit.jpg

Here's my uoa with PPHM:

The UOA looks fantastic! I'll admit I'm a bit surprised.

The water pumps on these may live longer on thicker oils, but there is so much confusion surrounding those who really knows.

The 3.5L Duratec is a very low-wear engine overall; those results are admirable, but not unexpected and can be experienced with just about any decent lube (not just syns). If you're interested in extended OCIs, could easily double that mileage. I have a few hundred UOAs on this engine series and the statistical data clearly shows it's doable.

The greatest threat to that engine is the internal water pump; if it leaks internally into the oil it will destroy the engine quickly. You may or may not catch the coolant leak in a UOA, relative to a catastrophe, simply depending upon how often you sample the oil.

The TBN is not bad too, for 7500 mi. Probably could've gone at least another 1k.
It'll be going quite a ways longer next time. I'm going to re-sample at 8-9K and then decide if I want to drain it or not.

The 3.5L Duratec is a very low-wear engine overall; those results are admirable, but not unexpected and can be experienced with just about any decent lube (not just syns). If you're interested in extended OCIs, could easily double that mileage. I have a few hundred UOAs on this engine series and the statistical data clearly shows it's doable.

The greatest threat to that engine is the internal water pump; if it leaks internally into the oil it will destroy the engine quickly. You may or may not catch the coolant leak in a UOA, relative to a catastrophe, simply depending upon how often you sample the oil.

dnewton3 sent you a PM so as not to derail the OP's topic.

OP that is a great UOA, TBN is not linear I agree you can go farther maybe as much as 10k.

Back