2016 F150 6R80 30K Miles - Found 2 Magnets in Trans Pan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wtd
Originally Posted By: Minorgroove

I wish my pan had a drain plug to make removing the fluid from the pan easier. The magnets were covered in a gray film of metallic goo, but the inside of the pan itself had a very light gray film as well. I guess the magnet helps to magnetize the entire pan. I am glad I dropped the pan to clean it out, but I guess an external magnet like you described could work. Just draining the pan after removing the magnet would remove much of the gray goo, but it still might be worth dropping the pan to wipe it out just to be sure.

I actually bought another factory pan and had a drain plug welded in to it so when I do change it, I will just put on this new pan. It will make future changes a lot easier.

Nice! Draining most of the fluid first before dropping the pan would make the whole job easier.

Originally Posted By: wtd

I wish my pan had a drain plug to make removing the fluid from the pan easier. The magnets were covered in a gray film of metallic goo, but the inside of the pan itself had a very light gray film as well. I guess the magnet helps to magnetize the entire pan. I am glad I dropped the pan to clean it out, but I guess an external magnet like you described could work. Just draining the pan after removing the magnet would remove much of the gray goo, but it still might be worth dropping the pan to wipe it out just to be sure.

I actually bought another factory pan and had a drain plug welded in to it so when I do change it, I will just put on this new pan. It will make future changes a lot easier.

Nice! Draining most of the fluid first before dropping the pan would make the whole job easier.

I plan on doing drains and refills without changing the filter for awhile after the initial fluid and filter change and is why I bought the extra pan and had the drain plug welded in.

...Refilled with about 7 quarts of Mercon LV and seems to be working fine...

I thought these were ~3.5 quarts for a pan drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back