2016 F150 5.0 (Supercharged) Amsoil SS 5w-30 + MOS2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, figured I'd post this UOA on my 2016 Ford F150 5.0 with a Roush supercharger.
During this run I was using Amsoil SS 5w-30 with 10oz of Liqui-Moly MOS2. This run consisted of approximately 4000 miles of hard street driving (approx 6 months), several 1/4th miles runs, over the road engine tuning, and several dyno pulls. The vehicle is a stock F150 with the 5.0 coyote V8 with a Roush stage 2 supercharger (75mm pulley) and custom engine calibration from a 3rd party tuner. Everything else is stock. On the dyno it made 540whp and 544 torque and runs high 11's on the 1/4th. During this interval I used several cycles of fuel injector cleaners and a round of Royal Purple octane booster.

I performed the analysis as I was having vapor lock issues over the summer and thought I possibly had a stuck or leaking fuel injector and was worried about fuel dilution (hence the injector cleaners). However cutting a hole in my hood solved the vapor lock issues (less heat) and fuel dilution is not an issue according to the analysis so I'm no longer thinking it was a leaking injector and I am no longer worrying about it.

The engine stock calls for 5w-20, but with 50% more power on tap I upped the viscosity. Its currently filled back up with 5w-30 SS, but will likely be switching to something a bit thicker, possibly the new Mobil 1 ESP 0w-40 or maybe even Redline 5w-30, based on statements Roush and Whipple have begun recommending 5w-50 as specced for track pack mustangs and other high performance Fords in future supercharger kits. I don't think I need anything that thick, but a little extra cushion for an estimated 650 crank horsepower isn't a bad thing, and the 5w-30 SS seemed to sheer a tiny bit.

My Amsoil preferred membership expired so no more Amsoil, and I won't be doing extended drains on this truck so don't really need the Amsoil SS.

Hope you all enjoy!

From Blackstone Labs

" Thanks for the detailed notes. We have universal averages for a supercharged Coyote engine.
They are on the far right, based on oil run about 6,800 miles. Metals in this report are mostly below
average, which is exactly what you want to find given miles on the oil. You can actually see the fuel and oil
additives in this report. A lot of the molybdenum is from the MOS2 additive, and manganese is from the
octane booster product. That's fine, and neither element is masking internal wear from the engine. Have fun
and just check back next service. Looks good!"

ALUMINUM.........4
CHROMIUM........1
IRON..................18
COPPER............3
LEAD.................0
TIN.....................0
MOLYBDENUM..362
NICKEL.............0
MANGANESE....10
SILVER.............0
TITANIUM.........0
POTASSIUM.....0
BORON............84
SILICON...........11
SODIUM...........11
CALCIUM.........1278
MAGNESIUM....955
PHOSPHORUS.748
ZINC.................801
BARIUM...........0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F.....57.9
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C......9.61
Flashpoint in °F................440
Fuel %............................. Antifreeze %.......................0
Water %.............................0
Insolubles %......................0.2

Last edited:
Blackstone can't accurately measure fuel dilution.

Viscosity is kinda low. So you may have an actual issue with that, I'm just playing devils advocate.

The Oil Analyzers tests from Amsoil will accurately measure fuel dilution. If you renew the PC membership try them out. I have had good luck with them in the past.

Thanks for posting...
thumbsup2.gif

I would run M1 0w40 if you are switching to that brand considering you are in Texas and have the Supercharger on your vehicle. I would try without the MOS2 for a couple of runs as well if you intend to do a UOA.

I'm not a fan of adding anything to a carefully balanced oil. JMO.

Virgin viscosity is 10.2cSt so 0.6 of a drop is really nothing IMO. Great results

I agree, this is no place for a thin oil. There is a reason ford specs the 5W50 for the performance packages and track usage, and you fit all the criteria!

You need something with high ZDDP and Moly, A real performance oriented oil is ideal here!

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
Blackstone can't accurately measure fuel dilution.

Viscosity is kinda low. So you may have an actual issue with that, I'm just playing devils advocate.

The Oil Analyzers tests from Amsoil will accurately measure fuel dilution. If you renew the PC membership try them out. I have had good luck with them in the past.

But flashpoint remained high, so there is very little fuel dilution here.

5w30 is only about 15-20% thicker than 5w20.

Since you are actually working the engine and live in texas, I would think a 0w40 or 5w40 would be better but not overkill.

It is amazing the grade recommendations without knowing what your oil temperatures encountered during your interval. The 5W30 held up very well do you have the oil temperature data?

Great report for the use case!

Low insols, strong flash, strong ending viscosity. M1 0w40 would be a good option.

Agree with a 40...FWIW I ran SS 0w40 in my '13 F150 5.0 before trading it, and it was quiet with no noticeable change in driveability.

Thank you all for the great info!

Originally Posted by dave1251
It is amazing the grade recommendations without knowing what your oil temperatures encountered during your interval. The 5W30 held up very well do you have the oil temperature data?

Unfortunately I do not have oil temperature data as there is no factory gauge, but the truck does have a factory oil cooler. I have a data logger which tracks just about every other parameter and temperatures are pretty stable and I've done a few cooling mods to the truck to keep a bit cooler, but even still it runs a bit warmer then stock.

In the absence of data to accurately provide an educated recommendation. The Amsoil 5W30 protected very well in this single sample. There is no indication of shear because it's viscosity is nearly identical to a virgin sample. The truck has a oil cooler and your using a grade higher than factory spec. Nothing suggests a benefit of moving another grade higher. If it helps you to sleep give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back