2016 Avalon 2GRFE OCI recommendations/oil type

86,000 miles, port injected 3.5 liter.

Engine calls for 0W20, and that’s what I’ve used. I’ve stuck to 5,000 mile intervals, Toyota suggests 10,000 under normal driving conditions. Most of my driving is highway. It is cold here several months out of the year. Lots of salt on the roads in winter, but I’m pretty easy on a car. Put around 25,000 miles a year on a car.

Up until 2012 these engines were spec’d for 5W30. Anyone know if there’s been any changes to these engines requiring a change to 0W20? Otherwise I’d like to maybe switch to a 5W30 and I’m contemplating doing 10,000 mile intervals.

I was thinking about using Mobil1 EP, but I’m open to all sorts of suggestions. I’ve used Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Shell Rotella Gas Truck, Valvoline Modern Engine...all in 0W20. Think I’ve used some house synthetics too...Carquest, Super Tech, Amalie.

I’m looking to experiment a little bit, and get some opinions. I use OE Toyota filters, but I’m willing to try others. Thanks.

EDIT: Really? No sig? That's odd. I'm using NAPA conventional 5w-30 with no problems to report. This is the second interval with conventional 5w-30, the last one was GTX and you can do the same in a 2016. As a matter of fact mine is a 2010 and specs 0w-20.

Last edited:
I had a 2011 Avalon that spec’d 5w30 & 5k intervals but I was able to safely extend the oil changes 2x (reset the maintenance reminder when it first trips @ 5k and run it another round) for a total of 10k and the Lab still suggested I go longer but I ended up trading the car for a Lexus ES hybrid before I come run it longer.

These engines seem to be very easy on oil by design so I’m not surprised that Toyota themselves extended the intervals to 10k on the newer models.

Regarding the 0w20… if your driving conditions aren’t severe, stick with it but 5w30 isn’t exactly Thick by any stretch of the imagination and is perfectly safe to use. I’d bet it’s even listed as an option in your owners manual and this exact car probably has 5w30 on the oil cap in other parts of the world. 👍🏼

Here’s my UOA from 2014 if you want to look at it.

I had a 2011 Avalon that spec’d 5w30 & 5k intervals but I was able to safely extend the oil changes 2x (reset the maintenance reminder when it first trips @ 5k and run it another round) for a total of 10k and the Lab still suggested I go longer but I ended up trading the car for a Lexus ES hybrid before I come run it longer.

These engines seem to be very easy on oil by design so I’m not surprised that Toyota themselves extended the intervals to 10k on the newer models.

Regarding the 0w20… if your driving conditions aren’t severe, stick with it but 5w30 isn’t exactly Thick by any stretch of the imagination and is perfectly safe to use. I’d bet it’s even listed as an option in your owners manual and this exact car probably has 5w30 on the oil cap in other parts of the world. 👍🏼

Here’s my UOA from 2014 if you want to look at it.

I will check it out, thank you.

EDIT: Really? No sig? That's odd. I'm using NAPA conventional 5w-30 with no problems to report. This is the second interval with conventional 5w-30, the last one was GTX and you can do the same in a 2016. As a matter of fact mine is a 2010 and specs 0w-20.
Alright, I can see it now. Must have been because I was on my phone. Conventional? How far you going on your intervals with that?

Figured. Because it's short tripped I normally change it every 5k Kms/6mos but I will be leaving the filter in for 12 months or maybe even longer this time.

Excellent results using M15W30 EP in my 2GR-FE, but A LOT of hwy miles.
Ok, I see that you have the newer 2GRFE engine that “requires” the 0w20 , and you’re using the 5w30. Good results? 10,000 mile intervals? Not a lot of makeup oil? High mileage on the van?

I couldn’t find any UOA on the 2014 and up 2GRFE units. I’ll have to keep looking, there’s got to be some out there.

There is nothing wrong with using 5w30 for 10k in your Avalon :)

FWIW, Toyota says 10k with synthetic, 5k with dino
Yeah the 10,000 mile interval thing is something that’s always been soemthing I wouldn’t do. But I want to try it. Yet I also want to keep this thing another 8 years...which would put my Mileage at around 286,000...and I want to make it there without engine mechanical issue.

I just wanted to see if people were doing it successfully, and what oil they were using to do it. I’ve read the Mobil1 EP is the closest thing to a boutique oil you can buy off the shelf. Was thinking about trying it. Was wondering if people felt the same about it. Or if there is something else that would give good results

I had a 2013 Avalon with the 2GRFE that also spec’d 0W20 every 10,000 miles. That’s exactly what I did from new. That engine never used a drop or had any issue until the car was totaled on 11/1/21 at 217,000 miles. Always used Mobil1 AFE 0W20 because it was readily available and cheap with the ongoing rebates. Engine was very clean inside even after all those miles. Car was all highway driven 28,000 miles per year. It was my work car for my traveling sales job.

Ok, I see that you have the newer 2GRFE engine that “requires” the 0w20 , and you’re using the 5w30. Good results? 10,000 mile intervals? Not a lot of makeup oil? High mileage on the van?

I couldn’t find any UOA on the 2014 and up 2GRFE units. I’ll have to keep looking, there’s got to be some out there.
EB0D680C-6FD1-40A2-9EFE-BE6AAD3872CF.jpeg
Don’t think I am babying it:
8D10AE67-6B3D-4663-9A7E-5AA8FB7665A1.jpeg

No. If you look up owners manuals using the exact same engine code you'll see it goes to 20w-50. Same thing for the 1.8L in the 2015 prius. 0w-20 to 20w-50 outside of the us.

I don't think it needs anything thicker than a 30 grade unless it were burning oil through the rings but it seems like it always had fresh oil and filters in it and with highway driving wear should be lower than average.

I think just bumping to a 5w-30 will be good enough. Don't think I'd go to a 0/5w-40 unless you found a euro rated oil on sale. It's not much thicker than a regular 5w-30 but super tech 5w-30 is what I'd use in it. Especially with 5k intervals. You can easily do more.

I had a 2013 Avalon with the 2GRFE that also spec’d 0W20 every 10,000 miles. That’s exactly what I did from new. That engine never used a drop or had any issue until the car was totaled on 11/1/21 at 217,000 miles. Always used Mobil1 AFE 0W20 because it was readily available and cheap with the ongoing rebates. Engine was very clean inside even after all those miles. Car was all highway driven 28,000 miles per year. It was my work car for my traveling sales job.
Very good, that’s what I was wondering...higher mileage, holding up well, extended drains.
Was at Walmart today, bought a Fram Ultra synthetic filter (the thing looks pretty robust I must say). Didn’t buy the oil yet, was still deciding between Mobil1 EP, Castrol extended performance, Pennzoil Ultra, and the new Valvoline extended performance. Leaning towards the Mobil1.

Yeah the 10,000 mile interval thing is something that’s always been soemthing I wouldn’t do. But I want to try it. Yet I also want to keep this thing another 8 years...which would put my Mileage at around 286,000...and I want to make it there without engine mechanical issue.

I just wanted to see if people were doing it successfully, and what oil they were using to do it. I’ve read the Mobil1 EP is the closest thing to a boutique oil you can buy off the shelf. Was thinking about trying it. Was wondering if people felt the same about it. Or if there is something else that would give good results

Any d1g2 synthetic should be good for 10k under the conditions you describe :)

@doublebase so I was finally able to rummage up this UOA from over the summer.
This is my 2018 Avalon with the 2GR-FE with the sample taken at 7,306 miles when I changed the oil.
Oil was Mobil 1 0w-20 AFE with approximately 60/40 hwy/local mixed driving.
Filter was either a Mobil1 or a Fram Ultra, I can't remember which.
I would have zero qualms about running 10,000 mile OCI's on this stuff and could easily go more than that.
This is as boring as it gets and just how I like it.

Screenshot 2021-12-27 120758.png

This is my 2018 Avalon with the 2GR-FE with the sample taken at 7,306 miles when I changed the oil.
I would have zero qualms about running 10,000 mile OCI's on this stuff and could easily go more than that.

View attachment 82329
Boy that TBN looks great.

View attachment 82329
How is that TBN that high? I think they may have screwed that up, no? But those wear numbers look fantastic! Very nice report indeed. Now I’m questioning if I should just stick with the 0W20...my plan was for my next oil change to bump it up to a 5W30 just because I’m approaching the 90,000 mile mark and I usually like to bump the grade up as the engine ages. Not sure if it’s necessary or not, but I probably will.

Back