2015 Tahoe - previously an Uber?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First - a quick hello and thank you to all who have contributed. I just found this forum last week noodling around about the zero weight oil that my new (to me) Tahoe calls for. From that, I came across Blackstone and am anxiously awaiting my first test kit to arrive. How did I make it this far without finding out about used oil analysis?? THIS FORUM IS AWESOME

Second - a bit of history. I just bought a 2015 Tahoe a couple months ago to replace a 2008 Yukon that replaced a 2003 Tahoe. And that's my GM history. It had 59k miles on it. I just turned 65k and had engine oil service performed at good ole Molle Chevy. I grabbed an oil sample before dropping it off which will be my first ever UOA.

I'll preface the rest with the fact I didn't do any research on the vehicle in advance. My older Tahoe and Yukon both came from CarMax with 50k ish miles on them and I had great experience with them. The 2015 Tahoe, I bought unseen. And for some DUMB reason, I thought I had 30 days to essentially return it if I wasn't happy. Nope, that's the basic CarMax warranty. It's 5 days that you can return the vehicle if you so choose. And of course, just few days past the 5 day mark, I decided to research the VIN (beyond the basic AutoCheck from CarMax). And here's where my stomach started to turn...

It appeared to be coming off a 3 year lease, out of NYC, and bounced through 2 auctions before landing at a small-town midwest dealer and then eventually at CarMax. But WHY?? Ya, it had a collision reported, but it was with a BICYCLE. I felt I got a good deal mainly because the history was blemished by a collision. I shrugged it off though knowing you can't do THAT much damage hitting/getting hit by someone on a bike.

But then someone asked me how many engines hours were on it. [censored]... I didn't think about that. Welp, it was about 4300!! 4300 hours in 3 years is just shy of 4 hours per day. Who spends an avg of 4hrs/day in their vehicle?? And an average speed of 13.7 mph. The only way to rack up that number of hours is an Uber right? Or hotel shuttle maybe? Either way, it came out of NYC, which makes sense with high engine hours and overall avg speed, it's got the extra undercarriage rust to prove it, and only had dealer oil changes. Given the picture so far, I'm betting no other maintenance was done (except some front brake pads LOL)

So how concerned should I be? What issues could I be looking at down the road assuming the most minimal maintenance was done? It's like I bought a NYC Yellow Cab. UGH!!

I will post my first UOA as soon as I can get it back. In the meantime, planning to drain/change coolant, front/rear diff, transfer case, tranny and brake fluid. Any recommendations on what to use welcomed - coolant, gear oil, ATF, tranny filter, engine oil filter, brake fluid, air filter etc...

It's a Missouri daily driver, 50/50 hwy/city, summertime pop-up camper towing and some fall/winter 4x4 chasing deer and pheasants around the Midwest.

Cheers!

2015 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD LT with Max Trailering Pkg

I spend approximately 2.5 hours per day in my Fusion, just commuting back and forth to work, and that's in Phoenix. NY traffic is worse than Phoenix highway traffic.

Having said that, if the engine was properly maintained, why does it matter if it was run 4 hours per day? Does it run right, does the car drive right? Does it appear to have been maintained well? If so, then I'd say don't sweat it.

I spend an average of 2.5 to 3 hours per day just driving back and forth to work, and I'm averaging about 19 mph doing it. I rack up about 3500 miles per month, so they are piling up fast. I take care of my vehicles, and while I'm sure no one would want to buy one of my used ones, I can assure you they would be getting a well maintained machine, however many miles were on it.

Is that the case for yours? Probably not, but who knows.

I wouldn't worry about the auction entries on the car fax, that happens to the best of cars out there.

You have the vehicle now, don't make yourself sick worrying about its past. Just do what you can with it going forward and you'll be fine I'm sure.

In reply to mx5miata
Originally Posted By: E39LSMO
That's it! Where's the For Sale By Owner thread???

Uber will likely not use a Tahoe, they'll lose their shirt on the fuel and depreciation. Usually Prius or Sentra from what I've seen.

4 hrs a day is likely a company car instead of ride hauling business. Real uber does 8 hrs a day easily, or even longer if family member take turns doing day and night shift.

I wouldn't worry, I would take a good look at all suspension and brake components because 65k miles is probably where I would expect factory components to start wearing out around then, especially getting pounded on carppy urban roads.

If it was any type of commercial vehicle there is a good chance that it would be better off in constant low speed city driving than having 65k of short trips. At least it was warmed up all the time and used, with regular OCIs. That's average maintenance for a normie, what else did you expect besides brakes and OCIs with 65k on the clock? I assume it was auctioned before it started needing repairs and replaced with a newer model.

GM full sized SUVs rule!

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Would this hours/miles situation be more prone to intake valve deposits on a GDI engine?

Thought about that too... it shudders sporadically while sitting in drive at stoplights. Mid-June we pulled the pop up through the rockies and it blew a good bit of carbon out the back. Wound up throwing an cat related emissions code halfway into our trip but it cleared itself up before we got home. A good injector/throttle body cleaning is in the near future.

It was probably used in a car service of some sort. I wouldn’t worry much if it drives fine. Change the fluids and keep on driving. You could probably call a GM dealer with the VIN and find the in-service date on it as well as any other work done at a dealer.

Originally Posted By: E39LSMO
First - a quick hello and thank you to all who have contributed. I just found this forum last week noodling around about the zero weight oil that my new (to me) Tahoe calls for. From that, I came across Blackstone and am anxiously awaiting my first test kit to arrive. How did I make it this far without finding out about used oil analysis?? THIS FORUM IS AWESOME

Second - a bit of history. I just bought a 2015 Tahoe a couple months ago to replace a 2008 Yukon that replaced a 2003 Tahoe. And that's my GM history. It had 59k miles on it. I just turned 65k and had engine oil service performed at good ole Molle Chevy. I grabbed an oil sample before dropping it off which will be my first ever UOA.

I'll preface the rest with the fact I didn't do any research on the vehicle in advance. My older Tahoe and Yukon both came from CarMax with 50k ish miles on them and I had great experience with them. The 2015 Tahoe, I bought unseen. And for some DUMB reason, I thought I had 30 days to essentially return it if I wasn't happy. Nope, that's the basic CarMax warranty. It's 5 days that you can return the vehicle if you so choose. And of course, just few days past the 5 day mark, I decided to research the VIN (beyond the basic AutoCheck from CarMax). And here's where my stomach started to turn...

It appeared to be coming off a 3 year lease, out of NYC, and bounced through 2 auctions before landing at a small-town midwest dealer and then eventually at CarMax. But WHY?? Ya, it had a collision reported, but it was with a BICYCLE. I felt I got a good deal mainly because the history was blemished by a collision. I shrugged it off though knowing you can't do THAT much damage hitting/getting hit by someone on a bike.

But then someone asked me how many engines hours were on it. [censored]... I didn't think about that. Welp, it was about 4300!! 4300 hours in 3 years is just shy of 4 hours per day. Who spends an avg of 4hrs/day in their vehicle?? And an average speed of 13.7 mph. The only way to rack up that number of hours is an Uber right? Or hotel shuttle maybe? Either way, it came out of NYC, which makes sense with high engine hours and overall avg speed, it's got the extra undercarriage rust to prove it, and only had dealer oil changes. Given the picture so far, I'm betting no other maintenance was done (except some front brake pads LOL)

So how concerned should I be? What issues could I be looking at down the road assuming the most minimal maintenance was done? It's like I bought a NYC Yellow Cab. UGH!!

I will post my first UOA as soon as I can get it back. In the meantime, planning to drain/change coolant, front/rear diff, transfer case, tranny and brake fluid. Any recommendations on what to use welcomed - coolant, gear oil, ATF, tranny filter, engine oil filter, brake fluid, air filter etc...

It's a Missouri daily driver, 50/50 hwy/city, summertime pop-up camper towing and some fall/winter 4x4 chasing deer and pheasants around the Midwest.

Cheers!

2015 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD LT with Max Trailering Pkg

Doing all those fluid changes is the best thing you can do for it … we have a 2017 and will start to do all my fluids early … probably before 20k on the unit …
So far I’m using Mobil 1 EP 0w20, purchased Delvac 1 gear oil and Castrol Transmax for trans/Xfer case …
That trailer package gave you some extra coolers and it probably never pulled anything …

With all due respect-unless your sell it, your stuck with it what ever it's history may be. Frankly, with the DIC display-it's so easy to check the motor info, one would be very naive not to do so before signing on the bottom line.

Carmax has one of the very few after market warranties that are very good. By looking at your post it looks like you didn't purchase one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mx5miata
probably is abused and had numerous sexual acts performed in the vehicle.

That's also probably true of hotel rooms and apartments/condos. Hospitals are probably even worse, I'm sure in many of those rooms, various bodily fluids were spilled and I'm sure many people died in various rooms. What of it?

I’ll bet the much-touted GM Oil Life Monitor still had it at 7,500 mile oil changes so as long as they did them I wouldn’t worry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

That's also probably true of hotel rooms and apartments/condos. Hospitals are probably even worse, I'm sure in many of those rooms, various bodily fluids were spilled and I'm sure many people died in various rooms. What of it?

You forgot to mention the ghosts walking the hallways at night.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

In sheer boxers

The undercarriage rust would bug me but you'll probably trade before it gets fatal.

Just imagine this thing run up on a slushy curb idling, with all that water vapor lingering underneath.
15.gif

article-2533458-1A69554C00000578-280_470x423.jpg

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Don't believe in ghosts unless you're talking about spooky action at a distance. Then that gets into quantum mechanics which I'm a bit murky on.

But yeah, lots of old houses had people die in them too before hospitals became popular, the front parlors were used to view the dead and lots of people died at a lot younger age 100 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back