2015 Tacoma 1GR-FE 4.0L Amsoil SS 0w-30 24.5k OCI

This report looks extremely good for a long interval. I wouldn't worry too much about the SI levels as I think my truck showed around 24 at a little over 10,000 mile interval with M1. I think the SI levels have something to do with the air control valves but I am not sure. Since the wear levels are so low its not a major point of research.

What?

You're sitting here reading a UOA that shows that not only was this oil good for such an extended drain interval, but in fact, it shows signs that it could've kept going. How are you reading that and still claiming that it's Amsoil's "BS marketing"? It's funny, I've gone to their site and don't see anything about "unicorn tears" or blending with "magical" properties, just information regarding it's ability to extend intervals and reduce wear. I can't speak for the reduced wear, but this UOA should show that they're probably telling the truth regarding extended intervals.

It‘s a Toyota 1GR-FE. Something like Mobil1 EP will likely hold up in a similar manner. Those engines are NOT picky and definitely not hard on oil.

If I really wanted to nitpick I could point out iron was over 2 ppm per 1,000 mi where it was around 1.5 ppm on the other runs.

Silicon watching it track with miles does look like it is dirt to me but if it's the culprit in the ever so slight increase in iron numbers it's still pretty miniscule.

Honestly it's a great run and I would be happy with it although I would check the air intake track and filter seating just to see if I could do better.

Honestly the above critique is offered in the spirit of trying for perfection not because anything is wrong with this run.

It‘s a Toyota 1GR-FE. Something like Mobil1 EP will likely hold up in a similar manner. Those engines are NOT picky and definitely not hard on oil.
Don't disagree. However, that has nothing to do with the point I was making.

Amsoil doesn't recommend 25K mile OCI on those engines so, not sure what your point is.

My issue is not only with AMSOIL on the subject of recommending oil change intervals but also with Mobil 1 and Castrol. Heck, I think that Mobil 1 might be the biggest offender. My point is that most people don't make oil a hobby, neither are they very interested in the subject. I wish it wasn't the case, but it is. People reading "Protection for 20,000 miles" on a Mobil 1 container and then trying that with their Hyundai Sonata 1.6T or Honda, just because they figured out how to change their oil in their driveway, will destroy their engines. There are other things that those same people don't take into account, like their tiny 4+ qt. engine oil capacity, or that they might need to check their oil once in a while so they don't run out of it. But even if they make it for that long, they will turn their e engines into chronic oil burners, regardless of what oil they run in them.

You're half right, AMSOIL doesn't say to use their oil on those engines for that long of a drain interval. Neither does it say on that oil container only to use it in a "properly broken in and well maintained, port-injected, low compression engine with a decent oil capacity of at least 6 quarts". So AMSOIL doesn't really make an effort to educate the public on the subject, and then someone comes across this thread and they're like "well, I bet I can try this in my car!" I think you get my point.

1. I don't have either of those engines, but I see what you're aiming at. The thing is, however, that it has nothing to do with the engine oil, rather the dilution issues inherent in those issues. I don't see how an engine diluting an oil is the fault of the lubricant, and neither does it take away from the qualities of the lubricant itself. It's on the vehicle owner to educate themselves on the capabilities of their engine, set realistic goals for OCI length, use a lubricant up to the task, and use available tools to monitor engine health.

2. Again, you're in a thread showing how in the right application, Amsoil's engine oil meets its claim of extended intervals. You've yet to post anything to substantiate your claims that their marketing of extended intervals is "B.S.".

3. At the end of the day, this really has nothing to do with this UOA, and while a conversation absolutely could be had regarding extending OCIs in different engines, maybe it belongs in its own thread.

You're right, my comments have nothing to do with this UOA, as this UOA is excellent, however, it's not the rule, it's the exception. My comments are meant to stop someone from destroying their engine by trying this in a directed injected engine, or worse, in a turbo or blown engine. There is always that one guy has to try it thinking that he knows better because he did a Google search and landed here. No, most people who are completely ignorant of motor oil and one day decided to briefly research a longer drain interval will most likely not have joined a highly technical forum like this, but will inevitably land here from a Google search. If you're one of those and are reading this, and you have a GDI or Turbo GDI motor, just don't do long drain intervals on any motor oil.

In conclusion, I am very impressed with the UOA in this thread. I wish more of us could do this, unfortunately, in my case, two of my vehicles are GDI, and the RAM 1500, while port-injected, has the 5.7 HEMI and I would never risk getting a bad lifter in that engine, so I'm trying to keep it as clean as possible.

I wasn't trying to knock AMSOIL by any means. However, I wish they would make an effort to better educate the public about everything they need to know about long drain intervals. Their competitors don't do it. They just slap some marketing on their jugs and a bunch of small print disclaimers at the bottom so that they're not held liable when things don't work out. I believe that it would work in AMSOIL's favor do create some content, maybe a video or two and explain to people what they should and shouldn't do. I get that they're trying to offer some value to customers in exchange for their money because AMSOIL Signature Series is a bit more expensive. That being said, longer drain intervals aren't the only reason to buy AMSOIL SS motor oil. If I would use it, and I might actually use it in my HEMI, it's for the low NOACK and high-quality base oils (PAO+Ester) and the decent additive package that it comes with, and not to try and go 25,000 miles on an oil change. Also, the Fram Ultra was an excellent filter choice. While a Purolator BOSS filter might feel heftier and look flashier on the outside, I believe that the Fram Ultra offers better filtration. Just my two cents.

I wasn't trying to knock AMSOIL by any means. However, I wish they would make an effort to better educate the public about everything they need to know about long drain intervals. Their competitors don't do it. They just slap some marketing on their jugs and a bunch of small print disclaimers at the bottom so that they're not held liable when things don't work out. I believe that it would work in AMSOIL's favor do create some content, maybe a video or two and explain to people what they should and shouldn't do. I get that they're trying to offer some value to customers in exchange for their money because AMSOIL Signature Series is a bit more expensive. That being said, longer drain intervals aren't the only reason to buy AMSOIL SS motor oil. If I would use it, and I might actually use it in my HEMI, it's for the low NOACK and high-quality base oils (PAO+Ester) and the decent additive package that it comes with, and not to try and go 25,000 miles on an oil change. Also, the Fram Ultra was an excellent filter choice. While a Purolator BOSS filter might feel heftier and look flashier on the outside, I believe that the Fram Ultra offers better filtration. Just my two cents.
You can't call out Amsoil for "marketing B.S." and claiming to be blended with magic and unicorn tears, then try to claim that you weren't "trying to knock Amsoil by any means". That actually just doesn't make any sense.

It's not Amsoil's job to teach every person about their specific vehicles. All they can do, as well as any other lubricant manufacturer, is market what their product is capable of and put disclaimers that extended intervals may not always be the right choice. This isn't just an Amsoil thing, it goes for every lubricant manufacturer that produces an extended drain interval oil.

At the end of the day, this was an excellent report, making full use of a very capable lubricant. Regardless of whatever issue you have with the lubricant (you seem to both think it's a great oil and yet full of marketing b.s.), the oil and filter performed admirably in this application over an interval that most on here would even think about approaching.

You can't call out Amsoil for "marketing B.S." and claiming to be blended with magic and unicorn tears, then try to claim that you weren't "trying to knock Amsoil by any means". That actually just doesn't make any sense.

Lets put this to bed first: AMSOIL Signature Series oils are some of the best you can currently buy, and probably for a very long time. They are formulated using PAO and Esters and that's about as good as it gets for motor oils. I'm no chemical engineer, but it sure beats Group III oils. You pay more and you get a high-quality oil. I'm also not knocking this UOA, it's awesome, good engine built on proven technology using a simple design will yield good results.

I am, however knocking AMSOIL's marketing. And not just theirs, but also Mobil 1 and Castrol. I hate it when oil companies make it sound like they made their oils using unicorn tears and only their oil will do miracles for your engine. Some of the TV commercials for Mobil 1 Annual Protection and Extended Performance are ridiculous, while Castrol made some downright obnoxious ads. My point was that while I don't expect any miracles from the likes of Castrol or Mobil 1, I expect better from AMSOIL because they do offer a superior product. It would be nice if they told customers how they can achieve long OCIs and what they can expect if they have a newer small-displacement turbo engine for example. I do use their ATF and gear lube and it is good stuff.

Here is another example of misleading marketing by AMSOIL:

First, they talk about how their oil helps prevent LSPI, then they claim that they double the industry engine test cycle with their oil ... using a 3.6L Pentastar engine. That engine is a classic port-injected, naturally aspirated, low compression ratio engine. It has nothing to do with LSPI. If this isn't deceptive marketing, I don't know what is. Just watch the video.

It's not Amsoil's job to teach every person about their specific vehicles. All they can do, as well as any other lubricant manufacturer, is market what their product is capable of and put disclaimers that extended intervals may not always be the right choice. This isn't just an Amsoil thing, it goes for every lubricant manufacturer that produces an extended drain interval oil.

I didn't say it's just an AMSOIL thing. However, what you are saying is that it's okay to be deceptive. As far as I know, only in North America are engine oils marketed for certain drain intervals. It's like, don't worry about the sump size, engine technology, whatever, just use it for X amount of miles. Certainly, you won't see this kind of marketing in Europe for example. Gee, I wonder why...

At the end of the day, this was an excellent report, making full use of a very capable lubricant. Regardless of whatever issue you have with the lubricant (you seem to both think it's a great oil and yet full of marketing b.s.), the oil and filter performed admirably in this application over an interval that most on here would even think about approaching.

I have no issue with the lubricant, as I believe it's an excellent product. I have an issue with the marketing because it might mislead those who don't know any better and might attempt to recreate this extended drain interval in the wrong application. I have explained this before. It's an excellent UOA, the results are great. Unfortunately, more and more vehicles are shipped with tiny direct-injected engines or sub 2.0L turbocharged engines with tiny oil capacities. So, if you stumbled on this thread while researching Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Castrol Extended Performance and you wonder if you can go 20,000 miles on one of those oils in your 1.5 Turbo Honda or 1.6 Turbo Sonata or 1.5 Turbo Chevy then the answer is a resounding NO! If you own a port-injected V6 or V8 engine that was properly broken in and has no oil burning issues and is running nice, then the answer is still NO, you shouldn't do that using Mobil 1 or Castrol. You should use AMSOIL for that and a high-quality oil filter. And if you're going for that extended OCI, don't short trip your vehicle too often, use quality gasoline, and try to do as many highway miles as possible. I hope that this clears things up. Thank you.

Lets put this to bed first: AMSOIL Signature Series oils are some of the best you can currently buy, and probably for a very long time. They are formulated using PAO and Esters and that's about as good as it gets for motor oils. I'm no chemical engineer, but it sure beats Group III oils. You pay more and you get a high-quality oil. I'm also not knocking this UOA, it's awesome, good engine built on proven technology using a simple design will yield good results.

I am, however knocking AMSOIL's marketing. And not just theirs, but also Mobil 1 and Castrol. I hate it when oil companies make it sound like they made their oils using unicorn tears and only their oil will do miracles for your engine. Some of the TV commercials for Mobil 1 Annual Protection and Extended Performance are ridiculous, while Castrol made some downright obnoxious ads. My point was that while I don't expect any miracles from the likes of Castrol or Mobil 1, I expect better from AMSOIL because they do offer a superior product. It would be nice if they told customers how they can achieve long OCIs and what they can expect if they have a newer small-displacement turbo engine for example. I do use their ATF and gear lube and it is good stuff.

Here is another example of misleading marketing by AMSOIL:

First, they talk about how their oil helps prevent LSPI, then they claim that they double the industry engine test cycle with their oil ... using a 3.6L Pentastar engine. That engine is a classic port-injected, naturally aspirated, low compression ratio engine. It has nothing to do with LSPI. If this isn't deceptive marketing, I don't know what is. Just watch the video.

I didn't say it's just an AMSOIL thing. However, what you are saying is that it's okay to be deceptive. As far as I know, only in North America are engine oils marketed for certain drain intervals. It's like, don't worry about the sump size, engine technology, whatever, just use it for X amount of miles. Certainly, you won't see this kind of marketing in Europe for example. Gee, I wonder why...

I have no issue with the lubricant, as I believe it's an excellent product. I have an issue with the marketing because it might mislead those who don't know any better and might attempt to recreate this extended drain interval in the wrong application. I have explained this before. It's an excellent UOA, the results are great. Unfortunately, more and more vehicles are shipped with tiny direct-injected engines or sub 2.0L turbocharged engines with tiny oil capacities. So, if you stumbled on this thread while researching Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Castrol Extended Performance and you wonder if you can go 20,000 miles on one of those oils in your 1.5 Turbo Honda or 1.6 Turbo Sonata or 1.5 Turbo Chevy then the answer is a resounding NO! If you own a port-injected V6 or V8 engine that was properly broken in and has no oil burning issues and is running nice, then the answer is still NO, you shouldn't do that using Mobil 1 or Castrol. You should use AMSOIL for that and a high-quality oil filter. And if you're going for that extended OCI, don't short trip your vehicle too often, use quality gasoline, and try to do as many highway miles as possible. I hope that this clears things up. Thank you.

This just proves that you actually just don't know what you're talking about.

The Sequence IIIH engine test is run on only one engine, the Chrysler 3.6 Pentastar. Every lube that undergoes this test, does so on this engine.

Sure, the European market doesn't advertise extended drain intervals on their oil products. Manufacturers also support longer drain intervals in the European market than many U.S. marketed vehicles. Either way, this is really just a strawman argument.

I fail to see how it's Amsoil's (or any manufacturer) job to list out, application by application, which engines can be exposed to longer intervals and which ones shouldn't. Their job is to produce a product, and inform people what that product is capable of. This is the same for any product, in any industry. End of story.

Regardless, and this is the last thing I'm going to say about this because it's clearly not getting through, it's just strange that you pick this thread to launch on a tirade about marketing, when this thread proves that Amsoil's marketing isn't just "B.S.".

The Sequence IIIH engine test is run on only one engine, the Chrysler 3.6 Pentastar. Every lube that undergoes this test, does so on this engine.

I know that the Sequence IIIH Engine Test is run on a 3.6 Pentastar engine, it says right here, I looked it up after I saw that video a while back: https://www.swri.org/sites/default/files/sequence-iiih-test.pdf

Still, what does LSPI have to do with the Sequence IIIH Engine Test, as AMSOIL lumps them together in the same video?

Regardless, and this is the last thing I'm going to say about this because it's clearly not getting through, it's just strange that you pick this thread to launch on a tirade about marketing, when this thread proves that Amsoil's marketing isn't just "B.S.".

It's okay, I didn't mean to derail this thread or argue about anything. I just wanted to make it clear for those who might stumble upon this thread that they shouldn't attempt this kind of OCI just on any engine, especially with an oil that's not made by AMSOIL. People tend to do stupid things because they read them in a forum. That's all.

Extended intervals can be run in properly manufactured, running and tuned vehicles. If your engine is fragile or has manufacture defects then extended intervals may not be a good idea. Its also not recommended to do so with a severe service application. Being a member on this forum for 17 years I don't think I have come across a extended interval with M1 or Amsoil that has caused engine damage if the engine wasn't defective to begin with.

Extended intervals can be run in properly manufactured, running and tuned vehicles. If your engine is fragile or has manufacture defects then extended intervals may not be a good idea. Its also not recommended to do so with a severe service application. Being a member on this forum for 17 years I don't think I have come across a extended interval with M1 or Amsoil that has caused engine damage if the engine wasn't defective to begin with.

That's spot on.

Good point Amkeer.

More often than not, the engine dictates the drain interval more so than the lube. A Toyota engine with Amsoil or Mobil 1 can often go quite far.

Back