2015 Sonata - 100k Mile Check-In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Well, here we are, 100k miles on my 2015 Hyundai Sonata SE. Bought it February of 2017 with 52k miles and have been very happy with it so far. I'll list some pros and cons below.

Pros:
-Great highway cruiser. A month ago I drove to Vegas and back in one day, just over 700 miles.
-Comfortable. This is the reason I bought it, I'm tall and have a bad back, there's tons of leg room front and back. I can actually sit in the back seat! That's with the driver's seat all the way back. Can't do that in a 2016 Avalon without slouching.
-Reliable. The only repair I've had done is replacing both driver's side CV boots because one was starting to tear. 2 OEM boots installed for $217.

Cons:
-Fuel economy on the highway is very dependent on how you drive. I'm no granny, so somewhat aggressive and 75+ on the highway gets around 33 mpg or so.
-Transmission programming has it lug around for fuel economy. Eh, whatever, I just put my foot down when needed.

Other Stuff:
-28.6 mpg. Here's my Fuelly for every fill up and other info on it:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/hyundai/sonata/2015/nickfancher1/558537
-Only other maintenance I've done is synthetic oil changes every 6-7k miles, recently a new set of tires, this week I had my mechanic do 2 drain and fills of the transmission with MaxLife, a battery at 3-1/2 years old (pretty darn good for Phoenix), brakes front and rear at 92k (originals would have made it to 100k but it was a good time to change them), spark plugs, and some headlight bulbs. Oh, and the air filter.

9CEF68EB-74F8-42C6-BCBF-AFC34EB0490E.jpeg

0BBBDF7A-E295-4160-85A6-210034ACD782.jpeg

thumbsup2.gif

GREAT JOB. Still looks good as new too. Our H/K vehicles have shown great reliability as well.

I've owned four Kias and a Hyundai with excellent experience with all of 'em. In almost sixty years of driving I've never had brand loyalty, but I'm beginning to. Two other family members have joined me in buying Hertz HyunKia rental returns... all great, no problems whatsoever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
I've owned four Kias and a Hyundai with excellent experience with all of 'em. In almost sixty years of driving I've never had brand loyalty, but I'm beginning to. Two other family members have joined me in buying Hertz HyunKia rental returns... all great, no problems whatsoever.

Yet, in many circles H/K/G still doesn't get any respect as far as reliability while many still think Hondas are bulletproof. It will take some time but I think H/K/G are the most exciting brands at the moment. Personally, I can't wait to see the Genesis GV80.

My father has a 2013 Sonata. It has 144k. He towed a snowmobile trailer loaded with household items 800 miles round trip about 25 times when he was in the process of moving. He has had one wheel bearing replaced under warranty. It's been a great car for him.

Not sure how you call it a con when a mid-size car with a 2.4 gets 33 mpg highway @ 75 and you're not babying it.
21.gif

700 mile days tell you a lot about a car. You didn't spend enough time in Vegas to do anything.

Looking great and a great write up.

I think they ride so much better with the larger sidewall tires like yours has.

glad to hear as my girlfriend dumped her oil drinkin 2013 malibu 2.5 LS with only 63 thou on it, she likes the 8 thou preowned 2018 optima with the 2.4L + a real 6 spd auto! NOOOO CVT'S

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Not sure how you call it a con when a mid-size car with a 2.4 gets 33 mpg highway @ 75 and you're not babying it.
21.gif

700 mile days tell you a lot about a car. You didn't spend enough time in Vegas to do anything.

Well, it's rated for 37, my Camry is rated for 28, and they both get 33 mpg at 75 mph.

Got fireworks just outside of Vegas
whistle.gif

Good write up here. I've owned two Hyundai's and both have been really good cars. I see no reason I won't go well over 200k on my '09. I've seen 30mpg once and I had 99% highway cruising at 60mph-65mph to get there. (Yeah, I know, totally different set up)

Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
Good write up here. I've owned two Hyundai's and both have been really good cars. I see no reason I won't go well over 200k on my '09. I've seen 30mpg once and I had 99% highway cruising at 60mph-65mph to get there. (Yeah, I know, totally different set up)

I'm over 160k on mine and the 3.8L V6 and 5sp manumatic ("Shiftronic") tranny are still going strong.
No major repair issues (knock on wood) in those 160k+ miles, just regular maintenance as prescribed by the OM.

While I can't predict the future (duh...‚) I'm feeling good about hitting 200k+!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back