2015 Hyundai Sonata SE Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Well, I've had my 2015 Hyundai Sonata SE for a little over a month and 2,500 miles. I figured I'd write up a review of what I think of it.

I picked it up at a Subaru dealership for $9,990 with 52k miles. They didn't play any games as far as fees either. Initially I thought it had an oil leak once I got it home, it had some oil around the valve cover gasket and on the oil pan as well. I took it into a Hyundai dealer (still under warranty) to have them look at it. They found no leaks and it turns out the Subaru dealer spilled oil all cover the place when they changed the oil. I spent a bit of time trying to clean that up. After cleaning it all up it's dry as a bone and has no leaks.

Pros:
Comfortable seats, especially for being a base model without 100 adjustable features.
Tons of leg room. I'm 6'2" and I don't have the seat all the way back which is very rare for me. I've scooted the front seat all the way back and sat in the back and there's plenty of room.
Lots of head room, probably 4" from the top of my head to the headliner. I sat in a new Camry and my head touched the headliner with the seat all the way down.
Decent power. About what I expected, not a rocket ship that's for sure but for a 4 cylinder it does ok. On the highway it would blow the doors off of my grandmother's 2011 Honda CR-V (has the 2.4L Accord motor). CRV and Accord weigh about the same.
Radio sounds pretty good, leaps and bounds above the 2011 CR-V.
Fit and finish is quite good.
Brakes feel good and I actually like the electronic power steering.

Cons:
I wish the A/C blew a little harder. My Camry was like a windstorm, which is nice to have in Phoenix. I replaced the cabin air filter when I bought the car.
Music played over Bluetooth doesn't sound the best. A little grainy so I usually just use USB.
I'm not a big fan of the feel of the vinyl used on the steering wheel. Cheap feeling although comfortable to hold since they shaped it well.
I hate the gas pedal, it pivots from the bottom (VW does this too). You have to use your whole foot on the gas pedal and it's very awkward. Toyotas pivot from the top and I like that since you don't have to use your entire foot since I'm tall.

I'm probably forgetting some things so if anybody has questions feel free to ask. Overall I totally recommend the Sonata, you get a lot for your money.

2libl9k.jpg

1zlgcns.jpg

Originally Posted By: Danno
How's the fuel consumption? My 2013 will get 39 mpg highway at 65 mph.
I haven't taken it out of town yet, but I've reset the computer's average mpg and driven on the highway and it's read 40 mpg (computer mpg is pretty accurate on this car).. My commute is mostly highway with some city driving. I don't drive it gently and I'm at 30.2 mpg average. My Camry was around 26-26.5

Nice car, congratulations!

I assume this is the 2.4L engine and not the 2.0L turbo?

At any rate, both are GDI engines and I would not go beyond ~5K miles on your OCI. Oil is cheap, engines are not and these GDI engines are fuel dilutions monsters IMHO.

Enjoy your new ride!

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Nice car, congratulations!

I assume this is the 2.4L engine and not the 2.0L turbo?

At any rate, both are GDI engines and I would not go beyond ~5K miles on your OCI. Oil is cheap, engines are not and these GDI engines are fuel dilutions monsters IMHO.

Enjoy your new ride!

In general, what causes fuel dilution in a GDI engine?

One thing I forgot to add to the Cons list.

Visibility out the driver's side mirror is pretty bad. There's a bad blind spot no matter how I adjust it. It does have a built in blind spot mirror which I don't like, but it is necessary to use.

I am glad I have a MPI engine in the 2017 Elantra due to fuel dilution and doing short trips.

That Toyota in the background looks like a beater compared to your Sonata.

I rented one of these in Texas a few months ago.

Hyundai is really stepping up their game and make nice driving cars, was very impressed with my Sonata SE.

Very nice Nick. I had one of these as a rental some months back, my overall impressions were good for what the car was designed to be. It was very smooth and easy going, plenty of power for what you need, good gas mileage. It was just a bit numb, which is ok as thats what most owners want.

I've always wondered about the longevity of a Hyundai product. I'm always reading about people putting 400,000+ miles on 80s-90s Toyotas and Hondas (which I've never owned either). I wonder if Hyundai's have that kind've lifespan? What's the highest mile example anyone has heard about? I've always like the Genesis.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've always wondered about the longevity of a Hyundai product. I'm always reading about people putting 400,000+ miles on 80s-90s Toyotas and Hondas (which I've never owned either). I wonder if Hyundai's have that kind've lifespan? What's the highest mile example anyone has heard about? I've always like the Genesis.
I wouldn't want an older Hyundai, they don't seem to be great. They've come a long way and seem to be making great cars now.

My great-aunt has a 2006 Hyundai Sonata with around 150k miles and it has been a fantastic car. I drove it to San Diego last year and it did great. Only problems it's had is a leaky power steering hose and the belt tensioner had a small squeak. Other than that it's been awesome.

One of my cars is a 2015 Sonata Sport 2.0T Limited. Great car. LOADED! Has more features then my 2013 Mercedes E350. About the only thing I don't like is that it does not have "cornering lights", the lights that light up when going around a city corner. Love the "little" features, (too many to list). The two liter Turbo engine SCOOTS, when you step on it. Gets 33mpg on the open road at 75mph. Not as good as the 2.5, but I can live with it. (My Mercedes E350 V6 gets 31mpg on open road). Both cars get a lot lower just driving for groceries, etc. Believe it or not, around town, in ECO mode, it does get 2mpg more then in Normal or Sport mode. In Sport mode, not only does this Sonata "haul [censored]" but you can feel a big difference compared to Normal (and ECO) mode. (My E350 feels almost the same between Normal and Sport modes).

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my cars is a 2015 Sonata Sport 2.0T Limited. Great car. LOADED! Has more features then my 2013 Mercedes E350. About the only thing I don't like is that it does not have "cornering lights", the lights that light up when going around a city corner. Love the "little" features, (too many to list). The two liter Turbo engine SCOOTS, when you step on it. Gets 33mpg on the open road at 75mph. Not as good as the 2.5, but I can live with it. (My Mercedes E350 V6 gets 31mpg on open road). Both cars get a lot lower just driving for groceries, etc. Believe it or not, around town, in ECO mode, it does get 2mpg more then in Normal or Sport mode. In Sport mode, not only does this Sonata "haul a$$" but you can feel a big difference compared to Normal (and ECO) mode. (My E350 feels almost the same between Normal and Sport modes).

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I wouldn't want an older Hyundai, they don't seem to be great. They've come a long way and seem to be making great cars now.

My great-aunt has a 2006 Hyundai Sonata with around 150k miles and it has been a fantastic car. I drove it to San Diego last year and it did great. Only problems it's had is a leaky power steering hose and the belt tensioner had a small squeak. Other than that it's been awesome.

Right on! That is a VERY sharp looking car you got!! Congrats! It looks very elegant and classy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back