2008 Toyota Yaris

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
OK, I might as well start off with this statement... I transferred from an 08 yaris to an 08 civic, and IMO, the Yaris is a superior vehicle!

-The yaris is a small appliance vehicle. Nothing about it is flashy, but what it does, it does well, and what is poor about it is somewhat forgivable.

-the seats are surprisingly comfortable, and the cabin (4dr) fits my 6ft 5 person pretty well. The seats are made with a foam that has a "memory" characteristic it seems (relatively high yield, then a controlled compression) and they hug you more than others (like in my civic) which are made more like multiple rectangles of foam stitched together. There is ample headroom and the view is quite good.

-The outside mirrors are of a good size to provide a decent view. In the car, you feel that you have a good view all around you, and are aware.

-The AT shifts smooth and downshifts well. The engine has plenty of power to do 80 MPH all over south CA, across the mountains on freeway 101. while it will loose steam going up steep hills, a downshift regains power and ability to keep up very easily.

-youre not going anywhere very fast. Though its quicker, the yaris has less 'pep' than my 62 hp 1981 MB 240D. It is uninspiring under acceleration, even if floored. That said, the engine is willing to rev. At WOT, the engine revs up to redline faster and more willingly than the engine in the civic. All this means is that you need to drive a bit harder when need be, and be a bit more aware of the car's operation. You need to think a bit about the car's operation and not just mash the go-pedal. its really no big deal though...

-The cabin is pretty darn quiet at high speeds. doing 75-80 in CA is far quieter than my civic that I have now. There is far less road buzz and noise translated through the cabin. When the engine downshifts, it roars a bit, but it is more pleasant than the buzzy sound of other small engines.

-handling isnt as secure as, say a civic, but the yaris has far smaller and cheaper tires. Quick motions are not inspiring, with a feel of roll. Not a big deal for an appliance that is used for short driving and commuting, which gets me to my next point...

-the driving position is OK, but there is an issue with layout. There is plenty of legroom with the seat back, but the steering wheel isnt angled and spaced such that a really comfortable driving position. Having the seat far enough back to be comfortable on the legs means that you have to stretch out.Having the seat up to make the steering wheel in comfortable reach means that there is too tight a footwell. I dont necessarily expect a telescoping wheel (which the civic has, and is really nice), but at the same time, I know that vehicles with tilt only, or non-configurable steering can still be comfortable if designed right. This makes the yaris a somewhat poor long-distance car compared to the civic in terms of comfort. Still, it is quieter, and actually tackles hills at speed with less hunting and rapid upshifting/downshifting...

-The center speedometer isnt bad. I like the green "cool" idiot light, though I wish that more information, like coolant temperature, outside temperature, MPG, etc. upon demand. Some GM cars dont have temp gauges either, and IMO, thats OK, but having the ability to get an actual reading of such an important metric is a good thing. The speedometer and tach gauges themselves look really nice and from a higher end car than the yaris is.

-The radio is terrible. The sound system is too bassy, too boomy, and not clear enough. The radio display is tough to see unless it is nighttime, and is nearly impossible to view with polarized sunglasses. This is a safety issue, IMO.

-The AC cools well. It cools faster than the civic I have now, though apparently this is a known issue with the civic (slow cooling, especially at low speed).

Overall, I think the yaris is a superior car to the civic. Is it cheaper feeling? for sure... Its a less desirable car than the civic, because overall the civic feels more pleasant (though I did really like the form and shape of the yaris's seats), and a better driving position can be had. I didnt think Id like the civic's upstairs/downstairs type setup, but I do (though its weak on info). I like the center high speedometer in the yaris, and the yaris does it well enough. To me, either way is a non-issue. The ergonomics on the civic's dash (radio and HVAC) are too busy, so they are poor. The yaris radio is hard to see, so thats a toss up too.

Im sure many will disagree and won't like this, but its how I see it after about 325 miles through south CA, and about 125 immediately after in a civic (which Im still driving). The civic is a more desirable car, and more suited for longer driving, but is also noisier, has more, more harsh shifting, worse ergonomics, and while comfortable and nice and firm... has less comfortable seats than the yaris.

That's my thought... the yaris is a good little car, especially with an MT I'd bet. Put a more capable suspension on the yaris, fix the radio ergonomics issue, and fix the steering wheel or make it telescoping setup a bit, and it is one heck of a little car, IMO.

Oh yeah, and get rid of the "S" package, spoiler, and suggestion that the car is in any way sporty...

JMH

Last edited:
We got a 2007 Civic and its a great car for the money. The only thing I don't like about the Civic is the silly parking brake rigth next the gear shifter/seat.

I consider a Civic a low frills econo-box when you consider its 40+ miles per gallon, boring styling and basic standard features.

ergonomically the brake next to the [censored] works great for me, I considered it a good point... It just lands in your hand, as opposed to other small cars where it is hidden under an armrest or so.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
ergonomically the brake next to the [censored] works great for me, I considered it a good point... It just lands in your hand, as opposed to other small cars where it is hidden under an armrest or so.

I miss the e-brakes you push with your left foot. Speaking of features I miss, does anyone else loathe the day they went to putting high beam control on the steering wheel stalk? I loved being able to control high beams with my left foot rather than taking my hand off the wheel to do it.

Do you have insanely small/short fingers such that you can't reach the control stalk while driving.

I can keep both hands on the wheel and change from high to low or low to high beam lights.

I prefer having the ability to flash with that lever more than missing the floor mounted dimmer.

Now what I miss are floor mounted starter switches, LOL.

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I've never known about the high beam switch on the floor... Was it during the age of great ergonomics where the cars didn't have seat belts and there were sharp decorative spikes at the center of the steering wheel?

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I've never known about the high beam switch on the floor... Was it during the age of great ergonomics where the cars didn't have seat belts and there were sharp decorative spikes at the center of the steering wheel?

Don't forget the metal dashboards, no head rests, no locking steering columns nor locking mechanisms on your shifter.

Quote:

-The yaris is a small appliance vehicle. Nothing about it is flashy, but what it does, it does well, and what is poor about it is somewhat forgivable.

The auto rags don't seem to recognize this; they review it like it was a $24K car.

Small, a bit underpowered, cheap interior bla bla. YEAH WE KNOW.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
What kind of fuel mileage were you getting with the Yaris JH?

Overall a hair under 36 MPG. But I drove wastefully.

Here's the deal: Drove from LAX to Port Hueneme, and then around. No drop in fuel. I drove smoothly up along PCH without traffic, so Im sure the economy was high.

After having the car a few days I decided that I really liked it... So I put it through its paces, seeing how it did with WOT, etc. Leaving there going to Palm Springs, I was going with the flow of traffic to see how it kept up. This meant 75-80 MPH up and over hilly terrain. The car did great, with only minimal hunting for gears at speed (something I cant say about the civic). Getting closer to LA and then throug LA nearly to ONtario airport, I hit SEVERE traffic. Im talking that it took 4-5 hours more than mapquest claimed.

I reset the odometer leaving the rental car agency. There likely were a few more miles on the tank, so it might be a solid 36 MPG despite all that. Driven responsibly, Im sure that 40-42 is easily doable.

JMH

I've had my sedan about one month and am pretty happy with my mileage.
35 MPg in the city running air most of the time.

Another great feature is the oil filter and drain plug up front.
Oil change can be done without jacking up the vehicle.

I'm 6"2' and like the interior layout,doesn't seem like most econoboxes inside.
Comfortable,controls layed out nicely,dash cluster is white,rather than the irritating red that I see on a lot of other cars.

If this car is as reliable as my last Toyota,this may be my last petrol powereed vehicle ever.

I feel like the interior of my Yaris LB is more spacious than the loaner Tacoma TRD I was using.

I'm not sure about reliability, but I'm hoping my third issue with the car was a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back