2015 Silverado Oil Catch Can - PCV Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there everyone! Decieded to try a oil catch can for my new 2015 silverado pcv. With the Direct Injection, PCV oils and gasses are not cleaned off the intake valves by fuel. I just wanted to give my homemade try a shot, Wasnt about to spend a few hundred for a brand name oil catch can. This solution cost me less than 50 bucks.. enjoy!

Only been on truck for 1 day and already caught about 1 spoon full of oil out of the pcv air

image_zps5fgwdzy4.jpeg

image_zpsqgqsppnk.png

image_zpsfkuqskbr.jpeg

I have 2014 Tahoe with previous generation 5.3L engine. I've set up two catch cans of different type, sequentially connected to boost efficiency. I drain about a cup full of oil/water mixture once a month, more when it's cold. This despite the fact that I have updated valve cover that GM came up with to fight oil ingestion.
My intake looks cleaner, but I'm thinking about re-routing PCV to exhaust, eliminating the possibility of any contamination of the intake with oil.
I have researched the subject quite a bit, and I'm surprised why nobody shared such a setup on a GM truck. Oil ingestion is a huge problem with these engines. Exhaust scavenging kits are available and some claim they work on muffled cars just fine.

Now your making me curious why the factory does not install these and just make it another maintenance item. The Cummins 6.7 needs to have its barf catcher replaced every 65 or 67k if i remember right.

Originally Posted By: yugrus
..Oil ingestion is a huge problem with these engines..

Kinda like a 2-stroke without all that pesky premixing?

smile.gif

2014 Ford F150XL, 3.7 base V6, I installed a catch can on it from day one.

Low mileage, only has 8000 miles, light towing and hauling, not babied but not beaten on either.
Rarely driven but always taken up to operating temps when I do, 30% rural/urban - 70% highway driving.

Mix of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 & 5W-30 (specs 5W-20)

It collects about 1oz of oil every 6 months.
Adds another maintenance task but I'd rather drain it than burn it or gunk up the intake tract.

Last edited:
Heres an update. New mounting location using less hose and painted the base black. Catching much more oil than i thought it would! enjoy

image_zps5t68wraj.jpeg

Last edited:
Good job! I had a catch can on my 2013 5.3L Silverado and now on my 2015 2500 6.0L. Whether they provide a real necessary service, I'll let other argue that and decide for themselves. I do feel better about catching all that oil and condensation junk making it's way into the intake. With all the other stuff we have to deal with in engines nowadays, just seems like a good measure to limit anything that possibly could increase carbon build up issues.

I have an 09 Suburban. It hadn't given me any trouble until a few months ago, I drove it an hour to a bike trail, did a 20 mile ride and when I got back to the truck, I remote started it and was engulfed in a huge cloud of grey smoke from the exhaust. When I got home, I looked inside the intake and found it full of oil.
I added the improved valve cover and the Moroso PCV filter kit.
Even with the valve cover, I still get oil from the Moroso can when I check it every so often.
Truck runs a little crisper now.

After getting a Tahoe to replace my Charger. My Charger intake gaskets were replaced at 12k miles because of the large amount of oil in the intake. Catch can installed. On my Tahoe while cleaning the throttle body I looked in the intake manifold and found a Large Blob of stuff underneath the PCV vacuum inlet sitting on the floor of the intake. I put the catch can from the Charger onto the Tahoe. It catches a surprisingly large amount of moisture in a short amount of time.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Now your making me curious why the factory does not install these and just make it another maintenance item. The Cummins 6.7 needs to have its barf catcher replaced every 65 or 67k if i remember right.

Yes indeed. I still route mine through a secondary separator before it goes down to the turbo inlet. Not taking any chances, because the oil will settle in the intercooler, and that's a major pain to remove and clean.

I've run an oil catch can on my 2014 Mustang GT since it was new and it catches quite a bit of oil.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back