2015 MB AMG M133 engine oil question.

Stick with Redline 5-30 or go with Mobil 1 FS 0-40 or Castrol EDGE Euro 0-40?

Car: 2015 MB GLA45 AMG with around 40K miles, current fill is Redline 5W-30 with about 5K miles on it (high performance, not the “Professional Series”): MB 229.5 and 0/5-40 is what is called for in the manual. I plan on doing 5-6K mile oil changes regardless that the service schedule is once a year/10,000 miles.

History:
I purchased this car less than a year ago with 28k miles on it and it had Mob 1 0-40 in the engine (fresh fill).

Dealer serviced about 3K miles later and filled with Mob 1(MB) 5W-40.

During that run, I installed a Weistec Anti-Surge valve (BOV) because this year engine was equipped with a blank of plate. Later models included an electronic recirc valve.

4K miles later, I changed the oil to Redline 5W-30. The HTHS is adequate for what I was looking for but thinner than the 5-40. At the time the oil was purchased (about 10 months ago), it was the recommended oil from redline’s website for this engine (now they recommend 0-40); it is not officially certified MB 229.5, just recommended for the application per Redline.

What I have noticed between the Redline and the previous dealer 5-40 due to the difference in viscosity:

-Lower RPM range seems “free-er” than the 5-40 (revs easier from low RPM).

- the anti-surge valve is more audible (activates earlier) for the same throttle position release and RPM compared to the 5-40.

What I haven’t found is any intake valve deposit issues with this engine, nor have I found much info on longevity for the M133. It seems like a very robust engine, capable of much more power than what it was tuned for so it seems like quite a reliable engine.

I intend to keep this engine stock for the near future. Once I do increase the power output, I will go with a 40 weight oil.

So, for the upcoming oil change; stay with Redline 5-30 or go with Mob 1 or Castrol 0-40?

Thanks.

MB is very particular about oil, I'd chose any that has its approval, stay away from ANY that says recommended or may be used, look for the MB Approval on the bottle and it's not given just to anyone. It must be tested and then the manufacturerr must PAY MB for the approval.

MB is very particular about oil, I'd chose any that has its approval, stay away from ANY that says recommended or may be used, look for the MB Approval on the bottle and it's not given just to anyone. It must be tested and then the manufacturer must PAY MB for the approval.
Yes and verify it appears on the Bevo list.

Redline will work well. But don’t go crazy on interval. It is basically street/track oil. Oxidation is an issue due to very high ester content. M1 or Castrol would be more appropriate for daily, street use and track time. You are talking best of the best. If you think Redline packs something that M1 or Castrol doesn’t, you are thinking wrong.
MB is pretty good in CBU mitigation. So, go any reputable approved oil.

Thanks all,
Will probably go with the Castrol or Valvoline 0W-40 for the next run, that is unless I can find some PETRONAS SYNTIUM 7000 0W-40 in the U.S. (the brochure that was in the owner's manual case makes this oil look very interesting).

Last edited:
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 (or Pennzoil equivalent, in North America). Or maybe Mobil 1 0W-40.
People here in Europe tend to stick with 5W-, at least it seems to me. More 'stable' over long term? Less plastic? I dunno. :)

I use the Shell 5W-40 in a 2014 GLA (M270 engine) I service (not mine). Was considering the Mobil 1 0W-40 for the winter, but it's a bit more expensive, winters don't often get very cold here (maybe min. -18C for a week a year, and mostly mornings?), thought to stick with a smaller spread, same brand, GTL/pureplus, etc.
http://tdc.ge/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/HELIX_ULTRA_5W-40.pdf ? Still valid?
I would not use 5W-30.

I use the Shell 5W-40 also in a Peugeot 1.4 VTi (engine family codeveloped with BMW), even though it specs 5W-30 C2 with some PSA approvals, at least in this country (fuel savings? emissions?). This engine seems to be designed/configured to run hot (maintains ~100C coolant often). It helped with the oil burning a bit, and doesn't smoke off idle, compared to the 'correct' Total Ineo ECS 5W-30. (Inherited some problems, possibly with piston rings and valve stem seals from previous owner).

So a big vote for the Shell 5W-40, or possibly for the M1 0W-40.

Sorry for rambling a bit OT. Hope some of the above helps. :)

P.S. Petronas advertises with the Merc F1 team, so no surprises.

Last edited:
Valvoline
Beware, the Valvo 0W-40 does not have MB-Approval, it is only 'Recommended' (by Valvo) for use in engines which call for 229.5.
https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd1/306964ea-c8c9-e911-9c2a-ac162d889bd1
Notice that the 5W-40 does have MB-Approval 229.5.

Shell (Pennzoil) 5W-40
https://shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/300ba85e-4e2c-401c-b50d-315374d177d3.pdf
Notice MB-Approval 229.5

Mobil 0W-40
https://www.mobil.com/en-ca/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/io-ca-mobil-1-fs-0w40
Also has MB-Approval 229.5

Authoritative lists:

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
they are using correct language to refer to 229.5 approval. Valvoline 881155 does have it

Attachments

• 92B24F5B-4CA3-4262-BFC5-3BA18BEEA299.jpeg
    92B24F5B-4CA3-4262-BFC5-3BA18BEEA299.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 29
advanced 0w40 was transferred to the european full synthetic line

it shares the same part number
Interesting, as I’m sure you know those lists go by the exact name so I wonder if this iteration even though it has the same part number does not have the approval. it’s not worded properly on the PDS, it says “recommended application”, and the name on the Bevo list is different.

I'd get the new pennzoil platinum 0w-40. It's $22 at walmart and approved. Valvoline euro 5w-40 or castrol would also be good instead of redline since HP isn't long drain so I wouldn't take it far.

Spirited 5k oci's should be fine but still no real point in spending for it over pp, valv or castrol. They'll do a fine job.

Back