Opinions on 5W-40 oils for Mercedes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Mercedes 2000 E55 AMG which currently uses M1 0W-40 Euro and I'm considering using a 5W-40 for the next oil change because iron in the past two UOA has been slightly higher than normal and the M1 0W-40 has been sheared down to a 30 in about 3K miles for each UOA. Given that, I just want to see what a 5W-40 does.

Here is a list of 5W-40 oils that I'm considering which are all on the MB 229.5 list. Opinions on these would be appreciated.

M1 Formula M
Red Line Professional Series
MB OEM Oil
Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech

From that list Id pick Redline for arm fuzzies, MB OEM for warrenty compliance or LM for a sensible affordable choice for a daily driver.

Don't forget Pennzoil Euro 5w40.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Fotoflame said:
I have a Mercedes 2000 E55 AMG which currently uses M1 0W-40 Euro and I'm considering using a 5W-40 for the next oil change because iron in the past two UOA has been slightly higher than normal and the M1 0W-40 has been sheared down to a 30 in about 3K miles for each UOA.
Can you post the two UOAs?
smile.gif

I'd rather use Castrol 0w40 over the M1 0w40 Euro. M1 0w40 Euro isn't what it used to be. I'm a Motul guy for euro cars, but between the 4 you listed, I'd pick the M1 Formula M since it was designed for the Mercedes car to begin with.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Can you post the two UOAs?
smile.gif

Here they are. The first UOA was the first oil I put in the car when I got it. Through that time I was trying to diagnose fuel trim issues as well as address other issues. Which I thought was the cause of the extra iron. With engine issues settled, I thought the second UOA would be better.

First UOA

Second UOA

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fotoflame
I have a Mercedes 2000 E55 AMG which currently uses M1 0W-40 Euro and I'm considering using a 5W-40 for the next oil change because iron in the past two UOA has been slightly higher than normal and the M1 0W-40 has been sheared down to a 30 in about 3K miles for each UOA. Given that, I just want to see what a 5W-40 does.

Here is a list of 5W-40 oils that I'm considering which are all on the MB 229.5 list. Opinions on these would be appreciated.

M1 Formula M
Red Line Professional Series
MB OEM Oil
Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech

Castrol 0W40.
Valvoline 5W40 EV
Pennzoil 5W40

Liqui Moly is tax on oversized Made in Germany sign. Otherwise, at best average oil.

I'm waiting for results on virgin MB 229.5 5-40. I believe it is the same oil as Mobil 1 M 5-40. Both are about the same price. I would use one of these two. I'm using the MB oil in my 2000 CLK 430. It was noisy when I got it but has quieted down with this oil and several tanks of Costco Prem gas.

Our engines weren't designed for SN oils. That's why I would use the oil that the engine was designed for.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Our engines weren't designed for SN oils. That's why I would use the oil that the engine was designed for.

Wasn't it designed for an oil that has Mercedes Benz approval 229.5?

Castrol 0w40 used to be pretty popular with Mercedes. They had the LL-01 certification when Mobil 1 didn't. Although I think someone might have mentioned that it's also going away on Castrol. I've used Mobil 1 0w40, Castrol 0w40 and Pennzoil 5w40 in my E-350 and I don't notice a difference. I just use whatever is cheaper and has MB 229.5. Pennzoil 5w40 is made from natural gas, if that means anything.

Originally Posted by loneryder
I'm waiting for results on virgin MB 229.5 5-40. I believe it is the same oil as Mobil 1 M 5-40. Both are about the same price. I would use one of these two. I'm using the MB oil in my 2000 CLK 430. It was noisy when I got it but has quieted down with this oil and several tanks of Costco Prem gas.

FYI, I found this post on a MB forum. Some russian oil forum did an analysis of MB OEM and M1 Formula M and they are right next to each other in the chart. I would appear that they are different per their analysis. But I look forward to you posting your results.

MB 229.5 VOA's

The other question is that if you're worried about your iron in your UOA, you think that changing the winter rating from a 0W to a 5W will improve things?

Originally Posted by kschachn
The other question is that if you're worried about your iron in your UOA, you think that changing the winter rating from a 0W to a 5W will improve things?

Good Point!

Originally Posted by kschachn

Honestly I'm not sure. But I want to try 5W-40 to see what happens. The car is garaged in the winter and rarely driven until spring. So winter temperature driving isn't really a factor.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Don't forget Pennzoil Euro 5w40.
smile.gif

It shears worse than M1 0w-40.

OP: Given that iron appeared to be trending down, I'd continue with what you are doing and see where it settles out at. I'd be more concerned if it was trending up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back