2015 Mailibu Front Hub Nut Torque

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just installed 2 SKF front hubs on my 15 Malibu. I am concerned with the front axle nut torque... SKF website says 60 ft lbs and both Timken and Federal Mogul websites say first pass 111 ft lbs second loosen 45 degrees the final tighten to 184 ft lbs.. Seems like quite a difference. Can someone help me with the proper torque before I put the wheels on and roll out the door. I'd like to do the job right.
Thank You

Follow the timken specs. 60 ft lbs on an axle nut is Not enough

Last edited:
multiple googles come up with

2013-2017 Tighten in three steps: First, 111 ft-lbs/150 Nm; second, loosen 45 degrees; last, tighten 185 ft-lbs/250 Nm.

thank you for the replies... I though maybe SKF site was a typo on torque spec for the 15 Malibu but I see the SKF site also listes 2011-2017 Cruze at 60lbs as well... So I dont know I hate flipping coins.... Unless I find new info I am going to use Timken Specs

To throw another fly in the ointment I get 159 lb.ft which seems about right. 60 seems too low and probably a typo but 185 sounds too high, bearing sites were posting 185 for W bodies and people were burning hub bearings out, the revised GM spec is 118.
I would set them to 120 lb.ft till I got a definitive answer from the dealer (go and ask the service guy to ask a mechanic, they will tell you).

ah yes another wheel bearing hub replacement on a malibu. girlfriend was lucky no bearings yet but a qt of oil on a thousand on the 2.5 L 2013 malibu LS!! she smartly traded it on a NON GM car!! check the malibu forums for many issues with bearings etc!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
ah yes another wheel bearing hub replacement on a malibu. girlfriend was lucky no bearings yet but a qt of oil on a thousand on the 2.5 L 2013 malibu LS!! she smartly traded it on a NON GM car!! check the malibu forums for many issues with bearings etc!

Dude. I simply asked for help to confirm torque specs on my car. THATS IT !!! Oil burners are everywhere in every brand of car!
To set the record straight I know the Chevy forum has a 30 page thread going MAINLY about the REAR hub bearings. I changed the FRONT. Yes the FRONT. I know front and rear are the same part number. The fact of the matter is the part did not fail. I changed them when doing brakes because of some pretty serious rust and did not want to run them any longer.. I also own 2013 Malibu and have changed the rear hubs on it. Again nothing wrong just some serious rust. I try to be proactive and not wait for the inevitable specially when I know there is a weak spot.
Both my Malibu's have been good reliable cars.
I truly wish the best for yourself and girlfriend in your car buying endeavours

It seems to me as if they want the bearing pretty tight. FWIW when I installed the bearing on my '18 Mustang (crash damage) I used my long 1/2" breaker and leaned on it. No torque wrench. You want to get those tight. They probably don't want people gunning them down with a heavy duty impact. Edit I reuses my nut.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back