2015 Kia Sedona Oil Level on Dipstick

We have had our 2015 Kia Sedona for about a year now. One odd thing I notice is the oil level on the dipstick goes up a noticeable amount each time you pull it out to check it. Does that mean the first reading is the most accurate? Don't be confused about me saying it goes up each check. If I drive it and let it sit a while it goes back down but each time I pull it out like the first time I always pull it out and wipe it and stick it back in. Each time I do that the leve get higher. Does that mean the original level before wiping is the most accurate?

Does the owner's manual say how to check it? Some car manuals say to turn off the engine and wait xxx minutes, then check.
I know that in my 4Runner, I need to turn off the engine, pull the dipstick, then wait 10 minutes to get an accurate check.

Sounds like gas is diluting the oil. Smell the oil on the dipstick the next time you check the level. Also, check your coolant level.

I'm guessing OP is checking it too soon. My manual just says several minutes but it reads the same if I let it sit overnight. No wiping in the morning, just pull it out far enough to read it.

OP, does it do the same after it sits all night?

I've seen what you are observing with my GM. It will literally change levels within the course of a minute well after it's been shut off. Something odd goes on. I can't explain it. Maybe the dipstick is creating waves (yeah I know that sounds stupid) or some oil is getting suctioned up into the tube. I dunno.

Yeah, with these sealed tubes, it can be a crap shoot at times.
I also think in some instances oil is pulled up into the tube as the stick is removed, leaving a nice coating on the walls of the tube. Subsequent checks pick up that oil and distort the readings.

I'm guessing OP is checking it too soon. My manual just says several minutes but it reads the same if I let it sit overnight. No wiping in the morning, just pull it out far enough to read it.

OP, does it do the same after it sits all night?
The first dipis the same then every time you take it out wipe it off and put it back in it reads higher. I have done it 4 consecutive times and it has gone up over full. Which really isn't possible. The first check it reads right at minimum then each time it goes in it reads higher. I might make a video of it this weekend.

If you are checking it in the morning before you drive it you shouldn't have to wipe it off and stick it back in at least it works for my Sierra and Lucerne. Don't even take it all the way out of the tube, just enough to read it.

In my 4Runner, oil creeps up the dipstick tube and causes inaccurate readings. I read about it on the 4Runner forum. You may be having a similar issue.

You should try checking the oil in the morning before you start the car. Pull the dipstick and leave it out. Let the oil in the dipstick tube drain for a few minutes. Then insert the dipstick and check the oil level.

Sounds like gas is diluting the oil. Smell the oil on the dipstick the next time you check the level. Also, check your coolant level.
The reading on the dipstick would not change if that were true. The OP stated that the reading changes after a few minutes and goes back down. Fuel diluting the oil would show as a high reading every time and not change from sitting a few minutes.

The reading on the dipstick would not change if that were true. The OP stated that the reading changes after a few minutes and goes back down. Fuel diluting the oil would show as a high reading every time and not change from sitting a few minutes.
But when initially pulling out the dipstick it seems like the oil level is higher. I noticed that too with a Kia Forte that I topped off.

When wiping the dipstick, & immediately checking again oil level is between the safe levels lines. After sitting over night on level surface in garage it appeared higher in A.M.
Not sure if oil can continue to run down the tube, or possibly climb up the tube from vacuum as engine cools.

Sounds like the oil is getting smeared up the dipstick tube. So the first check after sitting overnight is the most accurate, and if you follow that with several more checks in succession, the reading will get higher and higher every time.

Run the car for 20 minutes, let it get warm not necessarily hot.

Let it sit for 2 minutes. Pull dipstick out, clean it. Now you have to be quick to get the correct reading: put the dipstick all the way in quick, and pull it back out as soon as you bottom out on the tube.

This technique is also helpful for Toyotas

We have had our 2015 Kia Sedona for about a year now. One odd thing I notice is the oil level on the dipstick goes up a noticeable amount each time you pull it out to check it. Does that mean the first reading is the most accurate? Don't be confused about me saying it goes up each check. If I drive it and let it sit a while it goes back down but each time I pull it out like the first time I always pull it out and wipe it and stick it back in. Each time I do that the leve get higher. Does that mean the original level before wiping is the most accurate?
Shut the engine off and let the car sit for at least 15 minutes before you check the oil.

On some engines, it takes a long time for most of the oil to drain back down to the sump. Best thing to do is let the engine rest for as long as possible (15-30 minutes), then you’ll get the most accurate reading.

Good thing to do is check the oil in the morning before you start the car. That way you know for sure all the oil made it back to the oil pan from the top of the engine. The first reading should be accurate. Just take the dipstick out, wipe it, insert it all the way and pull it out. It will give you an accurate reading.

Also on some dip sticks, it’s harder to really accurately see the level of the oil. Just check both sides of the dip stick and use a flash light to see the reflection. Also keep the dipstick horizontally ( o————— ) as soon as you pull it out. Not diagonally.

But remember, if the oil is anywhere in between the low and high mark, you’re good to go.

Back