2015 jeep pentastar 3.6 oil issue

My 2015 jeep engine oil light began to come on when the engine achieved normal temperatures at about 80k miles. No rattling or noise from the engine. Had the filter housing and oil sensor replaced since I could smell a bit of oil at an idle. Oil light continued to come on so I had the 2 stage oil pump replaced and the wiring chased and verified. Oil light continued to return. Mechanic used a mechanical pressure sensor and found when the oil was normal operating temperature, the oil pump solenoid would shift As required, but the oil pressure would actually drop off to nearly zero and rapidly return to normal. This would repeat periodically. Have currently 110k miles on the engine. Any ideas that would cause the oil to fluctuate would be helpful.

Really odd indeed.

Like a pressure relief popping open/closed when it shouldn't.

You would think if it was a clogged pickup tube, a clogged screen somewhere or a bad bearing, the pressure would drop off and stay low consistently.

My 2015 jeep engine oil light began to come on when the engine achieved normal temperatures at about 80k miles. No rattling or noise from the engine. Had the filter housing and oil sensor replaced since I could smell a bit of oil at an idle. Oil light continued to come on so I had the 2 stage oil pump replaced and the wiring chased and verified. Oil light continued to return. Mechanic used a mechanical pressure sensor and found when the oil was normal operating temperature, the oil pump solenoid would shift As required, but the oil pressure would actually drop off to nearly zero and rapidly return to normal. This would repeat periodically. Have currently 110k miles on the engine. Any ideas that would cause the oil to fluctuate would be helpful.
Not to state the obvious but if the oil pressure was checked with a mechanical gauge the sending unit may be going out. Start with the easiest and simple things first.

Sounds almost like the pick-up for the pump might be plugged?
That's what I thought, but they changed the pump? Maybe they didn't install the pickup tube O-ring properly or left it out? Or the sending unit is bad.

That's extremely odd. Does this happen when you brake, accelerate, or turn sharply.
Braking, turning or acceleration has no effect. Comes on when the engine achieves normal operating temperature.

Not to state the obvious but if the oil pressure was checked with a mechanical gauge the sending unit may be going out. Start with the easiest and simple things first.
Replaced and re-replaced.

Really odd indeed.

Like a pressure relief popping open/closed when it shouldn't.

You would think if it was a clogged pickup tube, a clogged screen somewhere or a bad bearing, the pressure would drop off and stay low consistently.
I agree with the first part, but don’t believe a relief exists outside of the pump itself. Replaced with pump.

Sending unit was replaced. Mechanical gauge bypasses sending unit. Actual pressure drops off momentarily causing the oil light. Obviously not significant impact on engine. Have driven this way for 30k.

Sending unit was replaced. Mechanical gauge bypasses sending unit. Actual pressure drops off momentarily causing the oil light. Obviously not significant impact on engine. Have driven this way for 30k.
What is the pressure reading when it isn't dropping, is it reasonably high?

There is an Oil Temp sensor that sends the signal to the computer allowing it to change the pressure as the oil heats up and cools down, I'd at least start there.

You can read this to see if anything applies to your situation,

Last edited:
I would go simple first and put mopar oil filter in. You can pull valve cover and look down by the chain to see if bolts are loose that block oil gallery. If these bolts backed out you could be sucking air.

There is an Oil Temp sensor that sends the signal to the computer allowing it to change the pressure as the oil heats up and cools down, I'd at least start there.

You can read this to see if anything applies to your situation,
Right, but it's just a two-mode pump, high and low pressure, there's no setting (or ability) for it to make pressure 0, which is what he's observing.

I would go simple first and put mopar oil filter in. You can pull valve cover and look down by the chain to see if bolts are loose that block oil gallery. If these bolts backed out you could be sucking air.
Using the mopar filter and recommended oil viscosity.

Right, but it's just a two-mode pump, high and low pressure, there's no setting (or ability) for it to make pressure 0, which is what he's observing.
Monitored the pump solenoid. When temp is reached, solenoid locks in and remains in alternate pressure mode.

Back