2015 Honda Accord LX noise level/frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
1st thing I'd do would be to go to the dealer and test drive another Accord with DIFFERENT tires, perhaps the Contis, and compare the differences in noise level, and TYPE of noise you're experiencing.

That's a very good suggestion!

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Another suggestion is to try those window rain deflectors. Sometimes they reduce wind noise against the window. Just be aware that sometimes they increase turbulence. It depends on the vehicle, the speeds driven, and so on. You might try some Accord forums to see if anyone has complaints or success stories.

82474_Accord_09.jpg

they do little for wind noise. dont fall for the hype.

I'm surprised that the ear plugs didn't help. I have hard plastic ear muffs that seem almost to amplify some frequencies I get from the tractor or the chainsaw, but 28 dB earplugs work very well for me in a very loud environment.
Maybe try plugs and muffs and see if you can hear some sort of low frequency that's bothering you?

I agree with the suggestion to drive a different Accord with different tires. I'd also suggest driving an Accord without the Active Noise Cancellation system, if you haven't already. The audiologist may be on to something: there may be some odd resonant frequency or something where the ANC operates that is particularly sensitive to your ears.

Is there a way to turn the ANC system off?

The coarse asphalt paving on the roads makes a lot of noise and smooth tires won't cure that. Besides a dealer rep told me Chevy was using ContiPro Contacts because they are rated one of the quietest tires made.

Turn up the radio. That sounds like a flip remark, but actually it helps. Our ears have automatic level controls so we can accommodate widely varying sound levels. By turning up the radio you 'turn down' the sensitivity in your ears, making the background noise seem lower.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Is there a way to turn the ANC system off?

Originally Posted By: AdmdeVilleneuve
Then had the dealer disconnect the controller for the ANC, but that also disables the Bluetooth as it shares the mic with the ANC.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
1st thing I'd do would be to go to the dealer and test drive another Accord with DIFFERENT tires, perhaps the Contis, and compare the differences in noise level, and TYPE of noise you're experiencing.

That's a very good suggestion!

This is what I did! I tested an Accord LX with 16" Conti's and an Accord Sport with 18" Good/Years! The both sounded similarly quiet!

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted By: KGMtech

However if your hearing is so good, you might not benefit to the same extent as other average hearing people. If the noise if coming to your left ear so easily, it might be the door glass is too thin, and there is nothing you could do for that.

there might be, you could get a sound reducing laminate on it. I got the same (from the factory) in my windscreen.

http://www.agc-automotive.com/english/products/sound.html

I had a 2010 honda accord with Michelin MMX4 tires. Loud. A friend of mine who owns a tire shop recommended Kuhmo Sense tires. I know they are cheap but it helped alot.

Thanks everybody. Appreciate the input. Started on the tire angle today. My local Discount Tire manager made a warranty claim re. the OE Continental tires. Continental offered 50% on the OE's and we have a set of Continental TrueContacts on the way as a replacement. The test drive of a different model (like a V6) with some different tires is an excellent idea, and can be easily checked out.

The mat installation will probably be next. Cujet, I think the DIY install is beyond my skill set, but appreciate the tip. The detail shops are familiar with "matting" the Hondas it appears. As one store manager put it, "We do them all the time."

When we get it nailed down, I will report on the fix.

The large amount of money you saved in buying an LX Accord can go into sound deadening. Skip peel and seal roofing material, not worth the trouble. All you do is take apart interior, stick the material on, reassemble interior. You can do it yourself, it is a lot of work, but it could be a weekend project. You can get a bulk pack of stinger roadkill on amazon for 99 bucks, maybe get 2 packs if you want really good coverage. While you have the door panels off i would install better speakers too. Honda cheaped out on the speakers in these cars. $200 and a weekend and the car will be very quiet.

If you don't want to DIY the mat install, see if a good local shop will let you provide your own materials. They usually have huge markups on this stuff.

Originally Posted By: dareo
You can get a bulk pack of stinger roadkill on amazon for 99 bucks, maybe get 2 packs if you want really good coverage.

I agree here. I did exactly this a few years ago, (1) bulk pack Stinger Roadkill on all four doors and a bit in the trunk, and this was for both cars in the Sig. Time consuming but not difficult. While I can't say it really helped with road noise it did add significant boost to the stock stereo. I did not add it to the wheelwells or firewall, though, which might be a larger factor in road noise.

No question "Stinger Roadkill" works. It is simply a much more expensive product. We can go up and up in cost, until we reach aerospace level products, such as MDL125. Which, also do a fine job, at $700 per square yard.

My suggestion is, A) quite effective, B) cheap, C) long lasting, with excellent adhesive, which can be a problem with some products.

Bought a 2010 Civic LX new. Loud. Bought new tires as soon as the OEMs wore out. Got some Michelin's. Quieter but the car is still loud. Friend has a 06 version (similar) and acknowledges the present road noise on hwy.

Solution? Turn up the radio.

Srsly wouldn't take this car on a long road trip due to the noise induced fatigue - but then again it's a Civic so not intended for long luxury quiet cruising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back