2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7 Oil Recommendations

Originally Posted by sloinker
Many Hemi users use Red Line. It is on the thick end of the spectrum for the 5W20 but is heralded for helping quiet lifter tick. Not cheap.
https://www.redlineoil.com/5w20-motor-oil

I was looking at RL as well. I ordered their diff fluid for the front and rear. I typically ran Amsoil for gear oil but wanted to give redline a try this time.
Since this isn't DI I do not have to mind the high calcium as much.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
You'll have no issues running a heavier oil, however there's nothing wrong with running a 5w-20 or 0w-20 as called for, I run M1 EP 0w-20 in our truck with the same engine and have no concerns about it, given the engine's track record on a 20-weight.

Thanks, Overkill! It seems it is easier to find what I want in a 5w30 where as a 5w20 I have to call around if I am hunting for something specific. Makes it a little easier.
What is your OCI?

Originally Posted by Env1ous
You'll have no issues running a heavier oil, however there's nothing wrong with running a 5w-20 or 0w-20 as called for, I run M1 EP 0w-20 in our truck with the same engine and have no concerns about it, given the engine's track record on a 20-weight.

Thanks, Overkill! It seems it is easier to find what I want in a 5w30 where as a 5w20 I have to call around if I am hunting for something specific. Makes it a little easier.
What is your OCI?

I go by the OLM for both vehicles, so the interval varies somewhat. Last interval was 14,031Km;, 8,700 miles.

Originally Posted by Env1ous

What is your OCI?

I go by the OLM for both vehicles, so the interval varies somewhat. Last interval was 14,031Km;, 8,700 miles.

That sounds good to me. I would like to get a UOA done after we get a little back to normal just to see how it is doing when the OLM says I need a change. Thank you for the reply!

You are very welcome
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Loobit
My mom's 2013 Hemi Jeep loves Royal Purple API 5w-20. It silenced some loud ticking it made at only 35,000 miles. It's been 10,000 miles and 3 intervals with RP and it sounds and runs like a new engine. RP is expensive, but it's rarely driven yet always gets driven for a long time to get the engine hot. This allows me to only change oil once a year, and Amazon sometimes sells RP 5w-20 much cheaper than even Walmart.

Oh and the dipstick. If you still use the old one, put seven quarts and drive it around for 15 minutes to get the oil hot. Let vehicle sit overnight and then check the level in the morning. This gives you the most accurate reading! It's safe if it's right in the center of the safe zone, or slightly above it. Different oil filters can change the level for 7 quarts.

So it has 45,000 miles on it, and you've changed the Royal Purple 3x already since 35,000 miles? Sweet Jesus that's a waste of an expensive (and mediocre if it isn't the Synerlec version) synthetic oil
crazy2.gif

It's changed only once a year. I don't care how much it is because of that, and Amazon has it cheaper. Chase rewards makes it even cheaper!

Back