2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7 Oil Recommendations

Hi all,
Just picked up a 2015 GC with the 5.7 hemi. I have been doing a lot of reading. From factory it calls for 5w-20 and I see a lot of debate and conflicting infor about running a 20 vs a 30 weight oil due to MDS. I do know that a 20 weight can infringe on the territory of a 30 in thickness. So is it true a 30 weight will cause issues with the engine?

Around town/highway in sport mode I notice the oil temp is around 230 and out of sport mode it is around 205-210. What is a thicker 20w oil or a thinner 30w oil?

I just did my first oil change and used Castrol Edge black botte in 5w-20. And found out that it came from the factory with the wrong dipstick lol.

I ran 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum in my dad's 2013 GC 5.7L with no issues until 100k miles and have been using Castrol 0w40 since then. At 160k miles currently it's had no noises and no oil consumption. Oil is changed every 10k miles by the oil life monitor and he does a lot of highway and towing.

If MDS is messed up from a 30wt, what do people in cold climates do? 5W20 is a 30 or even 40wt bopping around town in winter.

I would say a 30wt will not cause issues with the engine.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
If MDS is messed up from a 30wt, what do people in cold climates do? 5W20 is a 30 or even 40wt bopping around town in winter.

I would say a 30wt will not cause issues with the engine.

Yeah, my toyota has VVT and never any issues using 0w40, 5w40, or 15w40 in winter.

You'll have no issues running a heavier oil, however there's nothing wrong with running a 5w-20 or 0w-20 as called for, I run M1 EP 0w-20 in our truck with the same engine and have no concerns about it, given the engine's track record on a 20-weight.

steer clear of 20w-50; everything else will be fine...although in your climate, 10w-30 may also be a poor choice.

0w-20, 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-20, 5w-30, etc. are all fine for that engine in your climate.

Run an approved 20 grade oil and sleep well. It is what the manufacturer calls for. Though a 30 grade can be safely ran, you will have a hard time finding a proof that 30 is better.

A forum poll is not a proof, btw.

Originally Posted by Env1ous
Hi all,
Just picked up a 2015 GC with the 5.7 hemi. I have been doing a lot of reading. From factory it calls for 5w-20 and I see a lot of debate and conflicting infor about running a 20 vs a 30 weight oil due to MDS. I do know that a 20 weight can infringe on the territory of a 30 in thickness. So is it true a 30 weight will cause issues with the engine?

Around town/highway in sport mode I notice the oil temp is around 230 and out of sport mode it is around 205-210. What is a thicker 20w oil or a thinner 30w oil?

I just did my first oil change and used Castrol Edge black botte in 5w-20. And found out that it came from the factory with the wrong dipstick lol.

If the actual oil temp(measured manually independent of the car's gauge) is actually getting to 230, I'd use a syn 10w-30 in the summer, 5w-30 winter in CO.

Originally Posted by umungus1122
Hi all,

If the actual oil temp(measured manually independent of the car's gauge) is actually getting to 230, I'd use a syn 10w-30 in the summer, 5w-30 winter in CO.

It's likely the temp he's seeing through UConnect, and I'm sure whatever temp the oil is at was considered during the engine's design and testing.

The internet is a third B.S. a third regurgitated advertising claims and a third facts. The hard part is sifting through the first 2/3.

My mom's 2013 Hemi Jeep loves Royal Purple API 5w-20. It silenced some loud ticking it made at only 35,000 miles. It's been 10,000 miles and 3 intervals with RP and it sounds and runs like a new engine. RP is expensive, but it's rarely driven yet always gets driven for a long time to get the engine hot. This allows me to only change oil once a year, and Amazon sometimes sells RP 5w-20 much cheaper than even Walmart.

Oh and the dipstick. If you still use the old one, put seven quarts and drive it around for 15 minutes to get the oil hot. Let vehicle sit overnight and then check the level in the morning. This gives you the most accurate reading! It's safe if it's right in the center of the safe zone, or slightly above it. Different oil filters can change the level for 7 quarts.

Originally Posted by Loobit
My mom's 2013 Hemi Jeep loves Royal Purple API 5w-20. It silenced some loud ticking it made at only 35,000 miles. It's been 10,000 miles and 3 intervals with RP and it sounds and runs like a new engine. RP is expensive, but it's rarely driven yet always gets driven for a long time to get the engine hot. This allows me to only change oil once a year, and Amazon sometimes sells RP 5w-20 much cheaper than even Walmart.

Oh and the dipstick. If you still use the old one, put seven quarts and drive it around for 15 minutes to get the oil hot. Let vehicle sit overnight and then check the level in the morning. This gives you the most accurate reading! It's safe if it's right in the center of the safe zone, or slightly above it. Different oil filters can change the level for 7 quarts.

So it has 45,000 miles on it, and you've changed the Royal Purple 3x already since 35,000 miles? Sweet Jesus that's a waste of an expensive (and mediocre if it isn't the Synerlec version) synthetic oil
crazy2.gif

My truck seems to have enjoyed Shield Choice 5w20 pretty well. On sale all the time at Orschelen.

I do 6mo/5k miles. Which is around 50% OLM.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by umungus1122
Hi all,

It's likely the temp he's seeing through UConnect, and I'm sure whatever temp the oil is at was considered during the engine's design and testing.

Correct! I am seeing it through the gauge cluster. Thank you for the reply!

Originally Posted by Loobit

No I face palmed way too hard with that! lol I went and ordered the correct one from the TSB and it is showing fine now. How it went this long without getting replaced is beyond me. I just picked it up and they had it to the full line so it was way over the 7 quarts that the manual calls for.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
I ran 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum in my dad's 2013 GC 5.7L with no issues until 100k miles and have been using Castrol 0w40 since then. At 160k miles currently it's had no noises and no oil consumption. Oil is changed every 10k miles by the oil life monitor and he does a lot of highway and towing.

Awesome! Thank you for the feedback. It seems we have a lot better of a selection of 5w30 here than 5w20.

On a side note, what are you using for your OCI? I have seen anywhere from 5-10k lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
The internet is a third B.S. a third regurgitated advertising claims and a third facts. The hard part is sifting through the first 2/3.

Exactly. It is best to ask opinions/knowledge and formulate ones opinion based off of facts and experience of others. Although that is not 100% either but it is better than doing no research at all!

Back