2015 Ford Fiesta ST..New ride oil options..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
Awesome guys thank you for the responses. I'm a BMW master mechanic and one of the very few perks if you will is that I usually have accumulated enough bottles with half a quart in them to do my own oil change..or possibly just have to purchase one or two quarts to get the 4.5 I'll need. I can vouch for the oil keeping engines quite clean as long as the interval is within reason..just wasn't sure how the new Ford motors responded to slightly thicker oil. If I'm not mistaken this motor has a wet timing belt(lubricated with engine oil)..don't know much about it besides the manual stating to check the condition every 150k miles. Alright well as long as I can get the bmw oil I guess I'll go with that..thanks again for the help

Or you can do like what my BMW dealership does, and charge me for 8 quarts of oil on a 7-quart sump in an oil change I had done there once. (That actually happened and the local BMW club has been reporting the same thing.) I was just sure the mechanic had taken 1 home! They can alway claim a clerical error I guess. It's fraud and I don't recommend it. You should be giving the half-quart to the person who paid for the oil, in a container, for make-up oil.

Well for one, they have to bill it out in 1qt increments..I agree you should not have been charged 8qts if your car only holds 7. Most people do not want a half used bottle of oil floating around in the back of their car. Also the issue we've run into is when someone comes in for an oil top off, they don't want to see someone come out with 3 half opened bottles of mystery oil..they want to see new, unopened bottles being poured into their $100k car. We top off oil for free. Third is the mechanic usually had nothing to do with what is billed on the ticket. The parts department can bill 30qts for all I know..I just know what the car is supposed to take and that's what we put in..What they charge on the ticket doesn't mean that the mechanic was actually handed any of those parts

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Awesome guys thank you for the responses. I'm a BMW master mechanic and one of the very few perks if you will is that I usually have accumulated enough bottles with half a quart in them to do my own oil change..or possibly just have to purchase one or two quarts to get the 4.5 I'll need. I can vouch for the oil keeping engines quite clean as long as the interval is within reason..just wasn't sure how the new Ford motors responded to slightly thicker oil. If I'm not mistaken this motor has a wet timing belt(lubricated with engine oil)..don't know much about it besides the manual stating to check the condition every 150k miles. Alright well as long as I can get the bmw oil I guess I'll go with that..thanks again for the help

Or you can do like what my BMW dealership does, and charge me for 8 quarts of oil on a 7-quart sump in an oil change I had done there once. (That actually happened and the local BMW club has been reporting the same thing.) I was just sure the mechanic had taken 1 home! They can alway claim a clerical error I guess. It's fraud and I don't recommend it. You should be giving the half-quart to the person who paid for the oil, in a container, for make-up oil.

Have you ever changed your own oil to determine how much oil it actually takes, with a new filter?

I also have a 2015 FiST. These cars barely wear per UOA and with the water cooled turbo you should be fine whatever you run. I chose VWB for the lowest potential ash and in light of some information here pointing to conventional yielding less intake valve deposits though I doubt that really matters and feel this issue is blown out of proportion with today's internet arm chair wisdom. Mine is tracked regularly too.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Have you ever changed your own oil to determine how much oil it actually takes, with a new filter?

The manual says 4.3qts with filter..I have not changed the oil on this car yet..I have a little over 2k miles on it..so I won't be at 5k miles for another 4 weeks lol

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
I also have a 2015 FiST. These cars barely wear per UOA and with the water cooled turbo you should be fine whatever you run. I chose VWB for the lowest potential ash and in light of some information here pointing to conventional yielding less intake valve deposits though I doubt that really matters and feel this issue is blown out of proportion with today's internet arm chair wisdom. Mine is tracked regularly too.

Awesome man..mishimoto makes a plug and play catch can which can help but honestly I'm not to worried about it. The intake manifold looks like it can be off in about 20 minutes and I'll just clean the valves like we do on BMWs. Cleaning them on this car is a very easy job. What sucks is cleaning a BMW twin turbo V8,after you remove the transmission, the engine, mount engine on support stand, disassemble engine...than you can start cleaning the intake valves..2 days after you started.
I'm glad to hear your actually driving your car and enjoying it! Good luck with her man

Sorry, I meant had you ever changed the oil in the car you were ranting about, where the dealer charged you for 8 quarts instead of 7?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Sorry, I meant had you ever changed the oil in the car you were ranting about, where the dealer charged you for 8 quarts instead of 7?

Listed at taking 6.9 quarts, yes I've done the oil changes myself and confirmed it.
I was really more puzzled than upset, and just let it go. They "only" charged $10 per quart, the nice people that they are. I should have gotten a refund, but was in a hurry.

Couldn't wait for the Focus RS (or would the initial cost, and fuel mileage costs be too high for what you were seeking)??
21.gif

The above is the ONLY small 4 banger which will be available in this country that I would possibly give up my LS1 for.
wink.gif

Anyway, CONGRATS on the new ride, as it is still a cool little car.
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Couldn't wait for the Focus RS (or would the initial cost, and fuel mileage costs be too high for what you were seeking)??
21.gif

The above is the ONLY small 4 banger which will be available in this country that I would possibly give up my LS1 for.
wink.gif

Anyway, CONGRATS on the new ride, as it is still a cool little car.
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

Thanks man...yea I'm guessing the focus RS will be mid~ high 30s? I don't know for sure though but either way,I didn't feel like waiting, and didn't want another high car payment. The fiesta is only 22k!. Also with 100 something mile commute everyday fuel mileage was a big factor. I can get 40mpg in the morning and 37mpg in the evening with the fiesta. So it's a good compromise between the prius and my 2010 cammed camaro (11mpg)...And on the back country roads by my house it's really a blast to drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back