2015 Ford F250 6.7 PSD - 134K miles on Delo 400 LE 5W40

Here is the latest UOA. Fuel is high and UOA was flagged as CAUTION. Maybe 2 clicks of the OLM next time. Refilled with Rotella T6 5W40. I used up the CJ-4 Delo 400 LE and the CK-4 is not Ford approved for PSD or that is what it looks like to me).

I also had the Ford PSD recall done which is a calibration of an emissions sensor. Unsure if that comes into play here.

Code:
oil Delo Delo Delo Delo T6 T6 T6 Motorcraft
mileage 134221 114055 108231 89588 64385 56820 48937 411600
mileage on oil 20166 24467 18643 15460 7565 7883 7777 7480

Metals
Fe 34 49 29 27 11 14 17 15
Cr 1 2 1 1  Pb  Cu 2 4 3 3 2 2 3 2
Sn  Al 8 10 8 6 2 5 7 8
Ni  Ag  Ti  V  
Contaminants
Si 9 16 11 10 9 6 7 8
Na 5 3 6 13 4 9 9 7
K  Water%  Coolant no no no no no no no no

Additives
Mg 962 1088 976 1109 1090 1166 944 21
Ca 732 906 787 791 889 915 996 2155
Ba  P 877 1040 876 879 1102 1141 1034 892
Zn 1117 1245 1151 1163 1375 1305 1189 985
Mo 56 62 55 61 67 65 57 5
B 12 15 25 17 38 42 45 42

Physical tests
Vis (cSt 100C) 11.9 12.2 12.0 13.1 12.6 11.5 12.6 10.0
Fuel % 4.7 2.50 2  Soot % 1.1 1.2 0.9 0.5 0.1 0.2 0.9 0.3

Physical/Chemical
TBN 5.7 5.2 5.5 5.9 7.1 8.1 7.5 5.9

Last edited:
looks great minus the fuel but diesel in the sump isnt as detrimental as gasoline. id stil feel comfortable going a bit longer. what's your average speed per engine hour.

The viscosity is a bit low but it’s not awful. You had some runs in the low 11s and even a 10 at one point. You might be able to stretch it out a bit longer esp with TBN 5.7. I know it says 4.7% fuel. I don’t see a flashpoint? Do you happen to know the total hours on this fill?

Donald I would give HPL 5w40 a hard look. That is what I went with.

fuel dilution is high and probably contributing to the viscosity degradation. I don't think it isn't close enough to winter yet to see elevated fuel %, but 4.7% would still be high for that. Any chance you have an injector heading out? on a 2015 the regen is DEF so it shouldn't impact fuel in the oil, so I'm not sure the recall has anything to do with it...?

Overall the oil seems to be good and I'm with @mattd with a TBN of 5.7 I think you could go longer if you can solve the fuel dilution.

just my $0.02

fuel dilution is high and probably contributing to the viscosity degradation. I don't think it isn't close enough to winter yet to see elevated fuel %, but 4.7% would still be high for that. Any chance you have an injector heading out? on a 2015 the regen is DEF so it shouldn't impact fuel in the oil, so I'm not sure the recall has anything to do with it...?

Overall the oil seems to be good and I'm with @mattd with a TBN of 5.7 I think you could go longer if you can solve the fuel dilution.

just my $0.02

Regeneration injects fuel on the driver side bank on exhaust stroke for regen and is the cause for fuel dilution

Regeneration injects fuel on the driver side bank on exhaust stroke for regen and is the cause for fuel dilution

interesting, even on a 2015 with DEF? My 2012 Cummins uses fuel to regen but doesn't have DEF. With FT4 / DEF I understood the use of fuel to regen was significantly reduced or eliminated because of the increased mileage.

just my $0.02

The viscosity is a bit low but it’s not awful. You had some runs in the low 11s and even a 10 at one point. You might be able to stretch it out a bit longer esp with TBN 5.7. I know it says 4.7% fuel. I don’t see a flashpoint? Do you happen to know the total hours on this fill?

Donald I would give HPL 5w40 a hard look. That is what I went with.
I have just started to track hours and miles for each UOA. But do not have it for this one I just posted.

My next oil is Valvoline Blue, after that I am out of oil and can consider HPL 5W40.

How can I determine if an injector is on the way out? Can Forscan determine that?

interesting, even on a 2015 with DEF? My 2012 Cummins uses fuel to regen but doesn't have DEF. With FT4 / DEF I understood the use of fuel to regen was significantly reduced or eliminated because of the increased mileage.

just my $0.02
DEF is used to reduce NOX emissions. The DPF, and it's regeneration is on the soot side of things. Not related to each other, other than the fact that NOX is bumped up with regen cycles, so one can confuse the increased DEF usage as the regen itself.

I have just started to track hours and miles for each UOA. But do not have it for this one I just posted.

My next oil is Valvoline Blue, after that I am out of oil and can consider HPL 5W40.

How can I determine if an injector is on the way out? Can Forscan determine that?

I was told fuel rail pressure and the commanded fuel pressure will deviate from each other, but I don't know the exact discrepancy to look for.

just my $0.02

Yes. Al the way up through current MY. DEF is used for SCR/NOx. ISL/ISB Cummins is in cylinder dosing for regenerations (same As ford), and ISX have 7th injector.

Last edited:

Very unlikely you have an injector problem. The ECM is very good at telling you if there is a balance rate problem. So if you have no drivability concerns, visible smoke or CEL, I would not worry about it. Lots of factors can contribute to fuel dilution.

Do you think pulling an oil sample right after a long regen would lead to elevated fuel dilution in the sample?

just my $0.02
the DEF is is for the SCR which exists downstream of the DPF and doesn't participate i a regen at all , however the Diesel Oxidation catalyst burns a lot of the soot before it hits the DPF. I think the SCR allows for different operations conditions in the DOC leading to a reduced duty cycle on the DPF .

Yeah that's why i wouldn't worry about it even if it seems a bit concerning. A lot of 500k plus psd's have a bit of dilution like his but it isn't detrimental unless it's an absurd amount.

The wear metals are staying nicely trimmed out; nothing but good news there. The Fe is fairly steady at less than 2ppm/1k miles, and the others (Al, Cu, Pb, Cr) are all low enough to be noise essentially.

The fuel is something to watch. In and of itself, the fuel isn't a problem; it doesn't hurt the engine obviously. What it does to the lube can cause issues when it's elevated past a point where it affects wear rates. We all know this. Fuel at or below 5% isn't a reason to change oil; it's a reason to monitor the lube more closely (perhaps UOA every 10k miles) and make sure the wear rates are not being adversely affected.

Fuel in the lube is no different than acid in the lube. These are things to watch for and not automatic reasons to condemn the lube. They are tell-tale signs which are predictors of potential for changes in wear trends. They are NOT reasons to automatically change lube.

The wear metals are staying nicely trimmed out; nothing but good news there. The Fe is fairly steady at less than 2ppm/1k miles, and the others (Al, Cu, Pb, Cr) are all low enough to be noise essentially.

The fuel is something to watch. In and of itself, the fuel isn't a problem; it doesn't hurt the engine obviously. What it does to the lube can cause issues when it's elevated past a point where it affects wear rates. We all know this. Fuel at or below 5% isn't a reason to change oil; it's a reason to monitor the lube more closely (perhaps UOA every 10k miles) and make sure the wear rates are not being adversely affected.

Fuel in the lube is no different than acid in the lube. These are things to watch for and not automatic reasons to condemn the lube. They are tell-tale signs which are predictors of potential for changes in wear trends. They are NOT reasons to automatically change lube.
My last 3 OCI were roughly 20K miles with one being 24K miles. Yet this OCI at 20K had fuel dilution around double of the prior two OCI. What would cause this?

Any chance you could ask the lab if they have any sample left to double check the fuel? May possibly be an error? Also, did you have a regen cycle run preceding the oil sampling? I have made it a habit to not pull a sample near an active regen, thinking the oil may have higher fuel concentrations at that point in time due to the regen.

My truck puts a message on the dashboard display for about 5 seconds that a Regen is starting. I often never see the message while driving. So no idea when it does most Regens.

Back