2015 Ford Expedition EL

My family of 7 is starting to get cramped in our Town and Country. I’m considering the purchase of a 2015 Ford Expedition EL XLT with 142k miles from a reputable GM dealer. It has the 3.5 Ecoboost. It’s priced reasonably and has a clean carfax with a decent maintenance history. I haven’t seen it in person but it looks like it’s in good condition from the photos. Are there issues to watch for on these other than the timing chain/cam phaser noises at startup?

Our Expedition is an 08 and unless you've got a troop of acrobats or contortionists in your family, no one is going to want to climb in and out of the rear seats all the time. They are a huge pain to access. Personally, I would be looking at a bigger van.

We looked at one of those before we settled on out 2014 Armada, happy with our choice as the 5.6L in the armada has been rock solid, so has the whole vehicle. We are a Ford family and I wanted to like the Expedition, just couldn't warm up to the 3.5EB and that was the only engine choice back in 2014.

Our Expedition is an 08 and unless you've got a troop of acrobats or contortionists in your family, no one is going to want to climb in and out of the rear seats all the time. They are a huge pain to access. Personally, I would be looking at a bigger van.
I considered a full-size van, but they are extremely hard to find right now and prices on them seem to be more insane than other types of used vehicles. Paying 25k+ for a base model 2013 Chevy Express seems a bit ridiculous IMO.

I also agree that this Expedition probably isn't ideal.

I think that if a full sized van isn't doable, you're probably best sticking with what you have, making it work best you can.

I would take an Expedition over a large van any day. I had an Expedition for 10 years and loved it. As far as the eco-boost I am not sure how they hold up after high mileage however my guess is if it looks great and has some decent service records it should last another 100 rounds with no major problems.

Take a peak under the oil cap(if visible). You won't get the whole picture from that, but if there's carbon or sludge run away!

There are many of these EcoBoosts well past 200k and running fine. Maintenance is King with these. The EL version is great to👍

Test drove the Expedition today. My kids old enough to attempt accessing the third row struggled with folding the second row seats forward. Seating-wise the Expedition wasn’t as spacious as we thought it would be, especially in the third row. We quickly realized how much we would miss our power sliders and the older kiddos’ ability to get in and out independently.

Now that I’ve gotten that out of my system the 2011 T&C is back in the driveway for the foreseeable future. Now I get to do the brakes again and get it scheduled for the dreaded Pentastar oil cooler/filter housing replacement before it goes on a 1400+ mile round trip in May.

Cannot speak to the Ford but our Yukon XL was great. Never had issues wit it. Gas mileage and price tag is why I will probably never own one again though.
My buddy has an Expedition and his reason for buying it instead of Suburban/YukonXL was he preferred the IFS instead of solid rear axle. More space in the back. So I think if OP wants to move lots of people, while a GM offering would probably be better than the EcoBoost long term, he might be disappointed with the floor height of the Burb/XL

Back