2015 Fit DI Engine

I've seen issues, even on my own engine. It will run like **** and idle like **** and be low on power if I go a long time without cleaning it. Also have a coworker with an Audi that had problems with hard starting/stalling that was completely solved by an intake valve cleaning I personally did myself.

Fuel injectors need extra care to keep them clean and running right, I got lazy with the techron once and it threw a lean under higher load code at me.
I've been aware of or part of the maintenance performed on several cars from the late 60's to present. My father owned a service station since the 1940's and my uncle owned another. I can only speak of the cars I am certain of such as my father's, brothers my children's and close friends, but this is serval cars for over 50 years totaling about 2 million miles. I do not know of anyone using a cleaner on any kind of regular basis. Sometimes when some problem existed that could not be easily fixed, some "wonder fix" in a can might have been thrown into a tank but only as a last resort and that never worked.
I don't want to put words in your mouth but is sounds like you are using fuel additives on a regular basis [ perhaps every 1,000 miles]. And that if you don't use these products your car runs poorly. I suggest you change where you buy your fuel. No modern automobile required extra additives if quality fuel is used.

I've been aware of or part of the maintenance performed on several cars from the late 60's to present. My father owned a service station since the 1940's and my uncle owned another. I can only speak of the cars I am certain of such as my father's, brothers my children's and close friends, but this is serval cars for over 50 years totaling about 2 million miles. I do not know of anyone using a cleaner on any kind of regular basis. Sometimes when some problem existed that could not be easily fixed, some "wonder fix" in a can might have been thrown into a tank but only as a last resort and that never worked.
I don't want to put words in your mouth but is sounds like you are using fuel additives on a regular basis [ perhaps every 1,000 miles]. And that if you don't use these products your car runs poorly. I suggest you change where you buy your fuel. No modern automobile required extra additives if quality fuel is used.
Actually the owners manual specifically recommends an additive every oil change, and this ain't the 60s and 70s.

I think it says use additive or top tier gas.
GDI engines require higher octane numbers that may not be available, depending on the country, and octane boosters might be necessary for this reason. That what they meant to deliver.
Also you might benefit from a fuel stabilizer if you have a habit of not driving the car on a regular basis.

Carbon deposits are a by-product of oil oxidation and baking around the intake valves. If the fuel never contact the intake valves and goes straight to the combustion chamber, how is it forming carbon deposits?
In carburetorized and port injection systems, fuel added a benefit of dissolving carbon deposits as they where spraying the fuel straight on the intake valves. Funny how people fail to attribute the problem to its cause, while the problem was always the solution 😂
Valves cleaners for GDI engines?
If people think about anything for a minute, many problems would disappear.

Okay. To be fair, fuel additives has a potential to keep the fuel system in shape, but they have nothing to do with carbon deposits.

Carbon deposits are an oil job to deal with. Stick to the manufacturer specifications, and the engine will be more than happy.

Carbon deposits are a by-product of oil oxidation and baking around the intake valves. If the fuel never contact the intake valves and goes straight to the combustion chamber, how is it forming carbon deposits?
In carburetorized and port injection systems, fuel added a benefit of dissolving carbon deposits as they where spraying the fuel straight on the intake valves. Funny how people fail to attribute the problem to its cause, while the problem was always the solution 😂
Valves cleaners for GDI engines?
If people think about anything for a minute, many problems would disappear.

Okay. To be fair, fuel additives has a potential to keep the fuel system in shape, but they have nothing to do with carbon deposits.

Carbon deposits are an oil job to deal with. Stick to the manufacturer specifications, and the engine will be more than happy.
Intake valve carbon deposits in GDI engines come from oil fumes routed by the PCV system from the crankcase and under the valve cover into the intake manifold. Then the hot oil fumes condense onto the cooler intake valves. These are washed off by gas fumes in carburetted and port injection systems but not in the typical GDI systems.

IMG_4490.JPG
IMG_4495.JPG
IMG_4494.JPG

Applies to KIA as well . This would be a stronger dose for vehicles with smaller tank . Such as ACCENT , RIO , VENUE, and other models with 11.9 gallon gas tank .

So, if fuel goes straight into the combustion chamber in GDI, explain to me how a fuel additive would clean the intake valves.
Note: I'm perfectly okay with other claims.
It doesn't, but GDI injectors are prone to very hard carbon deposits and must have a perfect spray pattern to work effectively. Both injection system cleaning and intake valve cleaning is necessary.

I guess it would benefit me to use a low NOACK oil (0W-20) to mitigate deposits on the intake valves. What brand has the lowest, say a mainstream one as available from Walmart? No boutique oils allowed. Beyond that, I'm not going to worry about it.

I guess it would benefit me to use a low NOACK oil (0W-20) to mitigate deposits on the intake valves. What brand has the lowest, say a mainstream one as available from Walmart? No boutique oils allowed. Beyond that, I'm not going to worry about it.
xW-30 and xW-40 have higher HTHS and sometimes HTFS for those times when you crave a bit of revving.

Ravenol ECS 0W-20. The king 👑, no discussions.
Valvoline SynPower 0W-20. The second man.
Ravenol DFE 0W-20. Good.
Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20. Holding up.

I would avoid M1's xW-20 at all costs, and definitely Castrol Edge. Eventually, it's your engine, so use what makes you sleep better.

NOACK? 0W-20 has some of the highest NOACKs out there. I believe Valvoline and PP have relatively low NOACK for that grade. The limit for dexos1 is 12% NOACK I believe. Idemitsu is around 16.

These are from the '18 ACCENT owners manual .

IMG_9233.JPG
IMG_9234.JPG
IMG_9236.JPG
IMG_4495.JPG
IMG_4494.JPG

Still applies to this T.S.B. from 11/2010 .

IMG_4490.JPG

Fickle finger of fate ?

IMG_4634.JPG

From '18 ACCENT tailpipe . 😲

Last edited:
These are from the '18 ACCENT owners manual .

View attachment 117988View attachment 117996View attachment 117997View attachment 117998View attachment 117999

Still applies to this T.S.B. from 11/2010 .

View attachment 118000

Fickle finger of fate ?

View attachment 118001

From '18 ACCENT tailpipe . 😲

The '18 Hyundai ACCENT rating is 3 out of 10 for EPA smog rating .

EPA Smog Rating & Smartway Certification​

EPA Smog Rating​

The EPA Smog Rating represents the amount of health-damaging and smog-forming airborne pollutants the vehicle emits. Scoring ranges from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). This rating does not include emissions of greenhouse gases.

Evidence in picture above ( Fickle finger of fate ? ) :( . Greenhouse gas emissions is 7 out of 10 . These ratings are from www.fueleconomy.gov . You can do a side by side comparison for vehicle ratings .

Last edited:
Back