2015 Fit DI Engine

I just bought a 2015 Fit, 57,000 miles, that has the 1.5L DI engine. It runs wonderfully and with the M6 it zips along and has "great" power. I googled around looking for direct injection related problems, but all I found were a couple of references to bad injectors. Did I strike gold by buying a Honda because they had it all figured out? What I mean of course is deposits on the intake valves and the specific question I have is, is it a pure direct injection design or have they found a way to mitigate the issue like Toyota has?

I believe that the FIT 1.5L DI engine is ONLY DI. It does not also have PORT Injection.
IDK if HONDA found a specific way to control the intake valve deposits or if HONDA is just not having as many(AS MANY) issues as other DI engines..."OR", if the intake valve deposits develop at higher mileage than other engines??? We just don't know yet but you may want to be pro-active in having your intake valves cleaned professionally with an intake valve cleaner through the fuel rail system or however it's done.

I own and Hyundai [DOH] with direct injection and belong to a Hyundai forum where people regularly post about their efforts to reduce carbon deposits on their intake valves by using some spray treatment. I created a thread where I asked if anyone had ever experienced a problem with carbon on the intake valves and had ever seen with their own eyes a carbon removal treatment improve things. Nobody could provide any evidence that the problem existed or that an aftermarket spray treatment improved anything.

There are plenty of people/businesses that make money by selling products and services to clean the valves but does the problem exist for a correctly running engine? I have put 200,000 miles on direct injected engines without any hint of a problem.

I have a 15 Accord with the DI 2.4L, I installed a PCV catch can- just because. And every oil change black gunk is drained that otherwise would be going thru the intake.

Use TOP TIER for most / all fills . Bottle of TECHRON in tank before O.C.. For oil , use those that help with carbon deposits along with low micron oil filter .

Last edited:
As with most Honda cars, use a quality oil and change it regularly. The engine uses a timing chain, so keep the oil clean. Enjoy the long engine life. The engine in the Fit is quite simple, and the parts are well made. There are a good number of Fit owners over 300K with no internal engine related issues.
Everyone who has worked on these older ones say they are the most reliable cars.

Attachments

• 20220823_103859_HDR.jpg
    20220823_103859_HDR.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 43
As with most Honda cars, use a quality oil and change it regularly. The engine uses a timing chain, so keep the oil clean. Enjoy the long engine life. The engine in the Fit is quite simple, and the parts are well made. There are a good number of Fit owners over 300K with no internal engine related issues.
A few years ago, I saw a video made by a New Zealand mechanic.

He completely broke down a failed Fit engine, showing where steel engine components had "melted."

Of course the problem was that the owner had not done an oil change for a very long time, on this almost bulletproof engine.

There's your answer, OP. Simply have a reasonable maintenance plan.

A few years ago, I saw a video made by a New Zealand mechanic.

He completely broke down a failed Fit engine, showing where steel engine components had "melted."

Of course the problem was that the owner had not done an oil change for a very long time, on this almost bulletproof engine.

There's your answer, OP. Simply have a reasonable maintenance plan.
Andy Mechanic, that was a Port FI engine though:

But yes...x10000 on regular maintenance.

Never bothered to clean up the intake valves and it's almost 9 years and 190k miles. I used M1 5W-30, ESP 5W-xx and 0W-xx, a couple of years ago until this day engine gets FS xW40. Never even bothered to remove the valves cover and check anything. Listen to @WobblyElvis and @Cujet. Period.

I would plan on pulling the intake every now and then to clean the valves - solvent and tools or media blasting. Besides that, use a good 0W-20, listen to the maintenance minder and the occasional romp on the on ramp. The Fit’s engine doesn’t have a turbo on it so no worries with fuel dilution.

The 1.5 DI 4 cyl of the 2015-2020 N. American Fit has had reported issues with fuel injector failures (if your car has warranty, it'll be covered), as well as VCT actuator failures.
Fuel dilution issues are also common, as many have reported oil levels "increasing" as well as oil on the dipstick smelling a lot like gasoline.

Some '09 >'14 ( Canada had '14 , not the U.S. ) FITs had or my have loose sparks(s) . HONDA has done very little for the fix .

This is from carcomplaints.com .

IMG_9214.JPG

Fuel dilution issues are also common, as many have reported oil levels "increasing" as well as oil on the dipstick smelling a lot like gasoline.
Made me look. It only affects the turbo 1.5 in the following. Well to be accurate, this is the class action suit.
2018-2021 Honda Accord
2019-2021 Honda CR-V
2019-2021 Honda Civic

I own and Hyundai [DOH] with direct injection and belong to a Hyundai forum where people regularly post about their efforts to reduce carbon deposits on their intake valves by using some spray treatment. I created a thread where I asked if anyone had ever experienced a problem with carbon on the intake valves and had ever seen with their own eyes a carbon removal treatment improve things. Nobody could provide any evidence that the problem existed or that an aftermarket spray treatment improved anything.

There are plenty of people/businesses that make money by selling products and services to clean the valves but does the problem exist for a correctly running engine? I have put 200,000 miles on direct injected engines without any hint of a problem.
I've seen issues, even on my own engine. It will run like **** and idle like **** and be low on power if I go a long time without cleaning it. Also have a coworker with an Audi that had problems with hard starting/stalling that was completely solved by an intake valve cleaning I personally did myself.

Fuel injectors need extra care to keep them clean and running right, I got lazy with the techron once and it threw a lean under higher load code at me.

Back