2015 Chevy Malibu oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. My wife brought home her new 2015 Chevy Malibu 2.5 4 cylinder tonight and I've jus read the manual. It says 5w-20 is recommended and 0w-20 is also suitable. BUT if temps get down to -20f to use 0w-30 for "easier cold starting for the engine at extremely low temperatures". Now we live in wisconsin and we did have a few days it was -20 to -25 roughly but I won't be dumping the factory fill for awhile. My question being wouldn't the 0w-20 provide easier starting too or even better than the 0w-30? So why recommend a 0w-30 weight over a 0w-20 weight when it's very cold when the 20 weight is recommended and IMO would flow better? Just seems odd or am i missing something?

The recommendation of a 0W-30 instead of a 0W-20 in colder temperatures is completely backwards. I have no idea why they would say that... it should be the other way around.

I think it's a leftover tick in the manual, GM has been printing to use a "synthetic 0W-30 or 5W-30" for years if below -25 I think. It's probably an oversight...

That's what I thought too. I even looked it up on the Amsoil website and it states the same. -20f and colder use 0w-30.

I have the same car 2013 Malibu LT 2.5 . And I been using M1 0w20AFE with no problems along with ac delco PF64 oil filter. But I was thinking about using a delco UPF48R for extra filtering

Go by what the oil cap says. Most likely it is going to say Dexos 1 5W20 or 5W30.

Also, go to www.chevrolet.com and look at the online owner's manual to see if they updated it. Most GM vehicles are 5W30, unless it's a DI engine and those are 5W20. DI trucks are 0W20, but that doesn't apply to your car.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Seems odd, indeed.

That sounds like a case of legacy wording. GM has used that 0w-30 in the cold weather type wording for many years already. I, like Nickdfresh, would suggest they didn't edit that particular sentence when 0w-20 began to appear in GM's manuals.

You can use 0w20 where 5w20 was recommended dexos 1 now I read an article about it on GM Teck link site
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Go by what the oil cap says. Most likely it is going to say Dexos 1 5W20 or 5W30.

Also, go to www.chevrolet.com and look at the online owner's manual to see if they updated it. Most GM vehicles are 5W30, unless it's a DI engine and those are 5W20. DI trucks are 0W20, but that doesn't apply to your car.

It is a di motor and the cap does say 5w-20. I will try and let them know the manual is wrong. Just seemed odd to me and wanted to run it passed everyone incase I was missing something. This is our first vehicle that's called for 5w-20 and being direct inject I wanted to make sure we take care of it right.

Thank you all for your replies!

You can run 0W20 or 5W20, but don't run anything thicker. GM's manual states not to ever run a thicker oil than 0W20 or 5W20.

Last edited:
2.0 liter runs on 5w30 2.5 runs on 5w20 and 0w20.
They are talking about the 2.0 running 0w30 in cold climates.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I think it's a leftover tick in the manual, GM has been printing to use a "synthetic 0W-30 or 5W-30" for years if below -25 I think. It's probably an oversight...

I think it's a misprint too.

GM4LIFE. I have a new 2014 GMC Terrain with the 2.4 DI engine and calls for 5w30.

M-1 0w20 AFE......is a top notch oil that can be used year-round. You should have many years of great service.

The Fram ULTRA filter would be a good combination for you vehicle, and can be used up to 15 (2 X 7500).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back